Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Further MOD hyperbole?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Life. Those of us who served when guns fired in anger.
That would be in those famous sea battles you took part in during the Korean War. Neglecting the Falklands war, both Gulf Wars and Afghanistan to name a few conflicts since 1953, not forgetting the Malaya Emergency, Indonesian Confrontation, Aden, Northern Ireland.....

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Wreckage - you forgot us valiant (no pun intended!) submariners keeping the sea lanes open during the Cold War...... and no gong! Not even a Blue Nose certificate.

D

Deleted 103788

That would be in those famous sea battles you took part in during the Korean War. Neglecting the Falklands war, both Gulf Wars and Afghanistan to name a few conflicts since 1953, not forgetting the Malaya Emergency, Indonesian Confrontation, Aden, Northern Ireland.....
I did actually serve during the Malayan conflict for which I have a Naval GSM with Malaya on it. One wonders just how medals that would be eligible for today. A year or so ago I saw a two badge PO with more medals than my father earned during two world wars plus a naval GSM and a DSM from WW1
Korea was a major war. The others, as nasty as the Falklands was, are Campaigns.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I did actually serve during the Malayan conflict for which I have a Naval GSM with Malaya on it. One wonders just how medals that would be eligible for today. A year or so ago I saw a two badge PO with more medals than my father earned during two world wars plus a naval GSM and a DSM from WW1
Korea was a major war. The others, as nasty as the Falklands was, are Campaigns.
I still don’t get why you have to be such a bellend?

D

Deleted 103788

I still don’t get why you have to be such a bellend?
This has enlivened what was becoming a moribund RrumRation. Let's enliven it even further without rancour or personal snides and get it back to what it should be. You refer to bellends. I have no idea of what you are on about. Ccall me a thickhead or dimwit or numbskull and I will accept we served in the same historic Royal navy. Bellend?

D

Deleted 103788

This what a Merchant Navy Officer friend of mine remembers of Sasebo...
Cor Sasebo!

I have memories of that den of sailors fun and frolic. As a very young naive Deck Apprentice I sailed on an ancient Shell tanker (Hemiplecta) along the great circle route from Panama to Japan. Mid winter in the North Pacific. NE Force 10 +. Lovely. The deeply laden tanker played submarines all the way and I can only remember the pattern on the inside of the bucket that became my close companion. The deck officers (and me) were in the mid ships accom while the galley was back aft. There were days and days with no access back aft and we lived on condensed milk and cream crackers from the pantry. Not that I had much of the condensed milk.

We arrived in Japan with half a days fuel at Yokohama before shifting to Sasebo to discharge our cargo of 'white oil'.

I vaguely remember that we tied up on a long quayside right behind a US carrier and and we were not allowed on the quay for security reasons. But as it was New Years Eve we were allowed to go by boat across the harbour (!? I cannot remember exactly) to a row of shacks behind the shore line. They were, of course bars (and brothels?).

As a young sprog of a lad I wasnt used to drinking. Anyway our Ships Master (a taciturn Norge ex RN wartime RN) didnt allow us Deck Apprentices access to booze.

So back to Sasebo - I accompanied the junior engineers into a bar where I started drinking beer, I was later told that I moved on to the strong stuff - I dont remember.

I do remember the start of that evening though as I quickly became the best of mates with a young Yank sailor from the southern states. And thats it.

I woke up the following day on my bunk with a screaming head and a bunch of sprightly engineers laughing their heads off at me. I had been 'blooded'. Not only had my wallet been taken but, according to them, so had something else! Loss of cherry and I didnt remember a thing. Luckily penicillin was not required - if it was ever needed in the first place.

Being on a tanker where we worked 6 + hours on, - 6 hours off cargo watches that was my first and last run ashore during six months of tramping the Far East.

When I came home I broke my indentures and left Shell. A 12 month voyage with only 2/3 runs ashore! Life was, and is, too short.

I became a longshore bum on the Thames instead - and loved it.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
This what a Merchant Navy Officer friend of mine remembers of Sasebo...
Cor Sasebo!

I have memories of that den of sailors fun and frolic. As a very young naive Deck Apprentice I sailed on an ancient Shell tanker (Hemiplecta) along the great circle route from Panama to Japan. Mid winter in the North Pacific. NE Force 10 +. Lovely. The deeply laden tanker played submarines all the way and I can only remember the pattern on the inside of the bucket that became my close companion. The deck officers (and me) were in the mid ships accom while the galley was back aft. There were days and days with no access back aft and we lived on condensed milk and cream crackers from the pantry. Not that I had much of the condensed milk.

We arrived in Japan with half a days fuel at Yokohama before shifting to Sasebo to discharge our cargo of 'white oil'.

I vaguely remember that we tied up on a long quayside right behind a US carrier and and we were not allowed on the quay for security reasons. But as it was New Years Eve we were allowed to go by boat across the harbour (!? I cannot remember exactly) to a row of shacks behind the shore line. They were, of course bars (and brothels?).

As a young sprog of a lad I wasnt used to drinking. Anyway our Ships Master (a taciturn Norge ex RN wartime RN) didnt allow us Deck Apprentices access to booze.

So back to Sasebo - I accompanied the junior engineers into a bar where I started drinking beer, I was later told that I moved on to the strong stuff - I dont remember.

I do remember the start of that evening though as I quickly became the best of mates with a young Yank sailor from the southern states. And thats it.

I woke up the following day on my bunk with a screaming head and a bunch of sprightly engineers laughing their heads off at me. I had been 'blooded'. Not only had my wallet been taken but, according to them, so had something else! Loss of cherry and I didnt remember a thing. Luckily penicillin was not required - if it was ever needed in the first place.

Being on a tanker where we worked 6 + hours on, - 6 hours off cargo watches that was my first and last run ashore during six months of tramping the Far East.

When I came home I broke my indentures and left Shell. A 12 month voyage with only 2/3 runs ashore! Life was, and is, too short.

I became a longshore bum on the Thames instead - and loved it.
Cool story bro.

D

Deleted 103788

Cool story bro.
Bloody hell it gets more childish. "Cool story bro" does that emanate from an adult ex or serving matelot.
No wonder Navy Net is in the" Slough of Despond" if Rum Ration has been reduced to such trivia

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Bloody hell it gets more childish. "Cool story bro" does that emanate from an adult ex or serving matelot.
No wonder Navy Net is in the" Slough of Despond" if Rum Ration has been reduced to such trivia
You mentioned no rancour or snide remarks, so stop doing it yourself and trying to project yourself as some erudite intellectual superior.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
When hot metal is heading in your direction it doesn't play semantics with whether it's a "war" or a "campaign" . Your comments do a disservice to those killed and injured in "campaigns"

If you'd bothered to check your fathers medals the ones that aren't war medals will be campaign medals.

Research what your talking about before transmitting.

D

Deleted 103788

When hot metal is heading in your direction it doesn't play semantics with whether it's a "war" or a "campaign" . Your comments do a disservice to those killed and injured in "campaigns"

If you'd bothered to check your fathers medals the ones that aren't war medals will be campaign medals.

Reaearch what i am talkinhg about?
I lived through it.
You didn't ,through no fault of yours ,but I did, A former Captain of mine wrote He has a "refreshing outspokenness." I suspect he meant -- A cheeky bugger -- I still am.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I lived through it.
You didn't ,through no fault of yours ,but I did, A former Captain of mine wrote He has a "refreshing outspokenness." I suspect he meant -- A cheeky bugger -- I still am.
May have been a polite way of saying, ‘you’re a bellend’? Who knows??

#justsayingbellend

D

Deleted 103788

Thank you for explaining. It's interesting at this time as MOD et al are considering some sort of recognition for those of us who were guinea pigs for the first Thermo Nuclear megaton bomb at Christmas Island, The British government is the last of the participating nations to admit the dangers we were exposed to. They have already initiated some sort of compensation ,but many a meeting has been held at great expense as to whether one of these new-fangled medals should be awarded to the few of us left. They can keep mine for what it's worth!!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I lived through it.
Your attitude to those who participated in subsequent campaigns still stinks. I think AC's description of you is quite apt.

I'll be generous to you and put your inane, inflammatory, ramblings down to getting your brain fried in the nuclear tests.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Long-term funding key to new further education plans, says SMC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further Pubs Code Declaration put in place to protect certain Pubs Code rights MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government opens further COVID-19 testing locations for hauliers heading to France MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First phase of research paves the way for further studies on microplastics pollution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government pledges further £310 million to tackle homelessness MoD News 1
MoD_RSS British Overseas Territories commit to publishing further information on company ownership in major anti-corruption move MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New winter package to provide further support for children and families MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary welcomes Chancellor’s further COVID-19 support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government announces new proposals to further the UK’s reputation as a global destination for architects MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government extends extra welfare support for self-employed for further six months MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Furlough Scheme Extended and Further Economic Support announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government announces further cash boost for trams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement on further UK-EU negotiations: 21 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stamp duty holiday continues to help hundreds of thousands of jobs after further 21.3% boost in September MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further restrictions confirmed in parts of the North East and North West in response to rising infection rates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further restrictions eased for Greater Manchester, Lancashire and West Yorkshire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-EU future relationship: UK and Gibraltar hold further discussions with Spain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: further changes to increase payments on account applications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government further boosts UK vaccine manufacturing capacity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further details of the Job Retention Bonus announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government further boosts chances of UK receiving COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government further boosts chances of UK receiving COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further update to ID checking guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MMO restarting coastal operations to further support the fishing industry through Covid-19. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Health Secretary calls on country to get tested as access is expanded even further MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd to restart reprocessing and further boost operations in 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government provides further halt to business evictions and more support for high street firms MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England to launch further A428 consultation as plans are refined MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further funding uplift announced for councils caring for children seeking asylum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ban on evictions extended by 2 months to further protect renters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Update on Fisheries Response Fund: Further payment for eligible businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted to review students’ and apprentices’ online further education experience MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Emissions Trading System proposal would see UK go further in tackling climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further assistance to help the marine development sector from MMO MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK provides further support in Pakistan’s fight against Coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further £1 million invested into England’s fishing industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further visa extensions for those unable to return home due to coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Three further flights to bring hundreds of British travellers home from Bangladesh MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Whirlpool to recall a further 55,000 washing machines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further expansion of prison estate to protect NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further expansion of access to coronavirus testing helps protect the most vulnerable MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further support for children affected by domestic abuse MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): Letter from the Local Government Minister to councils setting out further details of additional funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government takes further action to support bus and lorry drivers who are keeping the country moving MoD News 0
MoD_RSS National action plan to further support adult social care sector  MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further details of Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further update on 2020 exams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government announces further measures on social distancing  MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further details on exams and grades announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus - a further statement MoD News 0