Further explain my finances.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by moncrieff7, Jan 2, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

I have been given a start date for the 25th May 2014 but have also been given additional forms to further explain my finances.

I do have debt but its not a massive ammount and I was just wondering if this is likely to prevent me from joining up :-/

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. these are not the droids you are looking for

3. Have a quick look using the search function as there are loads of threads about that. The short answer is that it can stop you joining up but it might not. I had to fill the same form in and was pretty anxious about it, I was granted security clearance but for 2 years and then they'll review it. Just be honest when filling in the form.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Unresolved CCJ s, default notices, IVAs, undischarged bankruptcy and committed outgoings in excess of half your net income are usually an issue. The financial aspect of security clearance is now a significant element, determining whether an individual may join. Previously it was an AFCO decision, raised at interview, now it's determined by National Security Vetting.

The advice is just be completely honest.

5. Thanks a lot guys

6. Hey Ninja,

A sent the additional forms off a couple of weeks ago and I've still not heard back.

Was just wondering how I would find out about the decision ? Afco or nsv ? Any ideas ?

Cheers

7. You will be sent a letter from them and the office/person who applied for the clearance will get a notification informing them of the decision. In my case, RFA recruitment were informed a few days before my letter arrived.

I'm not Ninja mind you. I almost feel naughty for replying ;)

8. Ninja_Stoker

If there's a problem, you will be informed by your AFCO. As Bluebird says, an SC certificate is sent to your AFCO (sponsor) but we don't routinely notify the individual when it's granted - in many cases your AFCO won't even know there were issues with your SC and even if they did know, they wouldn't be told the nature of the requirement for further detail.

Two ways of checking: log-in to nsv.mod.uk to check if it says "in progress", "withdrawn" or "completed". Or ring your sponsor and ask "has my SC been granted?". It can takes a month or two, so don't flap too soon.

9. To add to Ninja's information, when I logged into my SC application it said 'completed, but it was after this that I was sent the request for further information on my finances. To summarize: just because it says completed when you log in, that doesn't mean you've been granted SC.

10. Ninja_Stoker

The NSV website is a complete cluster, to be honest, loads of software bugs & whoever designed it needs a hearty slap.

The site is ambiguous in the extreme, but there are two bits to look at. Where it says "SC Completed", It means you've completed your bit. If you look above that, under "Status" it either says, awaiting user/sponsor actions, in progress or completed. The status bit means whether or not SC is gained. In a word, the site is "arse", and entirely understandable why users get conflicting messages from it.

11. The site is very arse because mine said completed in both sections and yet it wasn't. Mongs.

12. If I were to get a car on finance paying £100 a month do I have to declare to my AFCO this change of circumstance? Would be my only outgoing/financial commitment (no debt, overdraft to pay off and my phone is paid by someone else) and I am aiming to have £5-10,000 in savings upon joining anyhow. Rather than buying up front this suits me better, but don't want to muck up my app or bore my afco with irrelevant details about my life haha.

13. Ninja_Stoker

The financial side of things is now undertaken by DBS/NSV rather than the AFCO. If you've completed & submitted your SC application already, they will contact you if there is an issue when they conduct the finance check. If they've already granted SC it remains valid 12 months if you haven't joined. If it needs renewing before you join, you'll have to declare any changes to your financial commitments at that point.