Further education in the RN (AET)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Hanzzimmer, Aug 15, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I'm starting Raleigh in November, PRNC at Rosyth in September, and I was wandering what the chances are of actually gaining, either a Foundation Degree or Bachelors, through the Navy. I'm joining up as an AET because I've always wanted to do Engineering, but want to further it through qualifications and ultimately a Degree.
    Is it realistic? Will it take me 20 years?
    Thanks lads :)
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

So, yes it is possible to gain a foundation degree, that's why it is stated in the engineering recruiting literature.

How long it takes to complete Petty Officers Qualifying Course and gain it, depends on the individual, but 6-8 years is about right. It can also be topped up to a full BSc if you wish.
  3. Remember that everyone in the RN is entitled to the annual Education allowance.
    Many do not use it so lose it.
    See your schoolie once you have completed basic training.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. True Slim.

I went through the system when they never gave out decent qualifications as the RN thought we would all leave!!

However used my ELC's to get an HNC & HND. These can also be used up to 10 after leaving.
  5. Thank you Ninja, put my mind at ease :)
  6. Did my ONC at Salisbury college, would never have happened in those days if I had been at an RN establishment.
    I was at Boscombe Down and was called into the Sqdn Ldrs office one day and asked why I was not taking day release. He actively encouraged myself and Colin Lamb a POAEM(L) to have day release.
    many thanks to Ian Adam that Sqdn Ldr This was the early 1980s