Funny Facebook page

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by FunkyJunky, Jul 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I saw that earlier even though i am not in the navy yet, naughty. I know one of the blokes in one of the photos ew

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Did you do rude things to each other?

3. How could you suggest i would indulge in such things BR

4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I apologise unreservedly and beg your forgiveness.

Would you like to come to mine for dinner?

5. No need to bring your duct tape though - he has his own.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Speaking as an ex-Reggy, I think one or two of my (former) colleagues are biting a bit too much in the posts. Some are spouting complete and utter bollocks as well... (who'da thunk it?!) :oops: :wink:

7. Their lordships have asked that the site be closed. :( however the page owner started a new site called spotted jack instead. :) I love the shaggy stuff we matelots can get up to.

It was like that when I found it chief

8. Whilst it might be funny, facebook is the worst possible place ever to rant about your employer (i know most of it was taking the mick out of each other, but the reggie posts for example). The employer nicely has the persons details and evidence of a misdemanour. Nothing about taking away free speech, but in civvy street people have been sacked for a lot less when it comes to discussing their job on facebook.

• Like Like x 2
  9. sgtpepperband

Exactly. I know plenty of people in the Police who have been disciplined by the Professional Standards Department, or potential candidates having their applications refused or delayed due to the content of their social media profiles.

I have to admit that in my past life as a Regulator, I worked for a unit that frequently trawled Facebook and other online sources to find info about our absentees and other criminal activities. It's amazing how stupid people can be sometimes... :oops: :twisted:

10. Exactly, one of my colleagues got fired from a well known beauty retailer for posting on a facebook group who had come into the shop and what they had bought (had a lot of famous faces in), and i had to discipline someone who posted derogetory (however its spelt) comments about our employer. The top brass got wind of it and i was ordered to discipline them, it is serious. Whether people like it or not if something is in the public domain and relates to an employer or organisation then it is representing them, and anything to tarnish that is often taken seriously. If something is on your facebook that is set to friends only and your friends are people you actually know and trust then thats different to an extent, but seems bizarre that people so willingly put themselves in the firing line like that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. So far I have avoided signing up to "twatbook" and "bleeter" ... I cannot see the attraction! Er indoors has an account but never puts anything on it ... I think she only signed up to see if I had.

12. So we have a bunch of people on facebook and twitter "chatting" to each other, sharing information and putting up pictures, I'd never do that, wait a minute!

13. True ... but I can't remember you starting a post along the lines of "Got up this morning and had a dump!" ... unless of course its responding to the Bristol Poo Scale thread! :grin:

Then again most of the posters on here have a fair degree of Persec and Opsec whereas a fair proportion on Twitter probably either don't care what information they give away which could be used against them or haven't got a scooby that their personal information is there for anyone with a bit of computer savvy to get at which is probably one of the main reasons why I don't use it.

I can live without it!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dead right, I was talking to the boss of a security company and he said they can get plenty of information on people via facebook, twitter, google earth etc without leaving the office, in the past he said they had to sit around outside houses and rummage through bins, like the security people in the mob said to us, a little bit here and a little bit there and before you know it you know lots.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rumour has it that there's a bit of a shitstorm brewing about that page and it's owner due to the public posting of photos. Somebody is about to be made an example of to hammer home the RN's ever growing intolerance of dodgy social media.

16. Hope he doesn't get in too much of the brown stuff because no ones career is worth that, but looking back he/she might think oops maybe not the brightest idea.

Edited in the name of sexual equality

17. sgtpepperband

In a previous assignment, I was required to gave a security presentation to an audience of service personnel about OPSEC/PERSEC online. I asked for a random volunteer for his name and through a process of elimination I managed to find his Facebook profile, from which I saw pictures of him on deployment, so could identify his unit, hometown and friends. I also found a "Just Giving" charity page that showed him taking part in a "H4H" event, thus endorsing his military credentials (and his potentially vulnerable fellow attendees).

Using additional open source websites (such as a subscription to 192.com) I found the serviceman's address, on which I conducted passive, remote reconnaissance on the property and local area using Google Earth (vital in the event of a tactical approach/retreat of the target).

With just a few clicks, I learned more about the volunteer than he willingly disclosed to his colleagues, and his face visibly blanched. Especially when I explained that these were the same tactics used by Parviz Khan, who plotted to kidnap and behead a British soldier for a religio-political agenda. Thankfully his operation was thwarted by Security Services, but others can and will use this tried and tested method of identifying members of the Armed Forces. Irish Republicans have been doing it for decades using a more organic approach, but in this day and age of security awareness, it is worrying how much people are prepared to publish and broadcast online, with little concern for the consequences.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  18. It's surprising how much information is willingly put online by people, someone who follows me on twitter was having a convo with some other girls who have boyfriends on the ship hers is on and they were discussing the itinerary (or whatever the special word for it is) of the deployment. It wasn't until there were already dates and places posted that one piped up oh yeah we probably aren't supposed to post these. Realistically none of the nasties will see it anyway, but if it was suitable for public consumption then it would be published, but then maybe I am just paranoid :p

19. Taken in context with the post above yours, not paranoid, just suitably conscientious.

• Like Like x 2