Fungal infection - docs in the know

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by FistFullOfNails, Jun 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lol this is f'ucking gnarly so don't read on unless you want to feel a bit sick.

Got back from travelling last week and noticed I've got infected toes...Think it might be a fungal infection from hiking too much, wearing socks far longer than any civilised human being would and generally sweating my arse off.

Bearing in mind my start date is Sept will this render me unfit? Going to the docs in a bit and from research on the net it'll take a month to heal up with meds and if it is a fungal thing I've caught it right at the beginning so may even be a few weeks.

Any docs on here in the know?

I'll tell you one thing though...it's farking painful!!

2. Speak to your G.P i'm sure they will have some cream for it or they could refer you for their 110k PA :roll:

Failing that let that be a lesson to you for poor personal admin!!

3. I know!!

Serves me right for using my fellow backpackers as a bench mark for what constitutes acceptable hygiene! lmao

4. As you're going to GP he will be able to diagnose between a simple fungal infection and "infected toes " Infections generally redish inflammed and painful may require systemic antibiotics. to prevent infection spreading to the bones (metatarsals) in your feet. Fungal infections treated with antifungal creams and powders such as Mycil etc. Chemist can give advice.
    Take future precautions. Wash feet, dry thoroughly and powder.Change socks a couple of times a day. Should be fine but do look after them.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm not a Doctor, but just thought I'd add: "Eeeew".

6. Seconded :wink:

7. Thirded!! 8O

8. Got any phot's :p

9. Mycosis fungoides perhaps..... or necrotising faciitis? :twisted:

10. 7

If its a fungal you will still need to go to the doc to get some cream/tablets that will make it go away withen 6 months. Advice from another skank who thought socks lasted weeks not days.

11. This.

12. MF & NF.... :twisted:

[align=center]WARNING

PADRES, JUNIORS AND LAWYERS SHOULD NOT CROSS THIS POINT --- NOR ANY SQUEAMISH SOULS
    (THAT RULES OUT MOST OF RR THEN)
    [/align]

[align=center] :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: [/align]

This is the ulcerated stage of mycosis fungoides (stage II/III) which is so called because it resembles a fungal infection but is in fact a low grade* T-cell skin lymphoma

[​IMG]

*low grade means it is slowly progressive but after stage I is always lethal. Life expectancy up to 30 years after initial diagnosis.

[hr]

Then there is necrotising fasciitis

[​IMG]

13. Seen worse!! At least they aren't burns victims...........the smell gets right in the back of your throat!! 8O

14. You'd think that I'd stop eating my weetabix after that, but nope. Nothing.

15. Poor souls !...re: pictures....horrible. 8O

Fungal infections, try tea tree oil externally and crushed garlic in a little water applied liberally to the affected area.....anti-viral/fungal/parasitical.....Roman' swore by it and clears out nasty growths in the body.
    I'd also recommend Lepicol, boosts good bacteria in the gut to fight infection, and your immune system.Heathfood shops will supply it.

Good luck. :)

16. Oh christ you sound like my bloody aunt!! :D

Incidentally i believe the "Waterjel" burns dressings contains tea tree oil and thats pretty good stuff!!!

17. The human body is a natural, entity, X, a Holy Temple, or at the very least, a fcuking amazing machine. Mock Yea Not. :lol: :wink:

The pharmaceutical Big Boys have alot to answer for.

'Aunty Knows Best' :wink: :D ...though am sure that burns stuff is just as efficient, you will know better on that score. :)

18. Oh fcuk she's gone fcuking tree hugger again!! I think i'm fully aware of the bodies ability to heal/not heal. Its just like on the telly mate. G.S.W to mid- thorasic area, a few FFD's some quick clot and bobs yer uncle he's healed!! 8O :p :p

Edited for very tongue in cheek comments 8O

19. Interestingly, although MF looks a bit nasty, the main problem is the intense itching of the plaques and the treatment for later stage I disease: daily application of mustine solution/ointment (nitrogen mustard) which smells a bit like Colemans English mustard and has to remain on for at least 3 hours! :lol: Fancy eating your steak after treatment with mustine! 8O

As for NF (alias Necrotising fasciitis/National Front) well that destroys everything nice and soft in its way! Looks like Nails could be vulnerable to it! :D

20. I hope that doesn't include everything warm and cuddly, too, Thingy. :oops: I was warming up to suggesting a group hug :wink: :D

As for that lady and her poor face....where did she hail from ? The jungle or someplace very, very rural I take it ?.... 8O