Funerals

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by josiecats, Mar 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am posting this here as did NOT wish to taint the thread Big Dees Funeral

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/cpgn2/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13121#220783

BUT my question IS..

why do some many people feel they have right to attend something that in actuallity has NOTHING to do with them??

surely when a loved one dies its personal and does not need others there to " show their grief" its almost like " hey look at me in sad for your loss"

When my time comes or that of some one I love, I do not want others there that talked to me once for five minutes 10/20/30 odd year,s ago . I want only those that were really and truly part of our lives

Please be sure I mean no disrespect but this is something that I have often wondered about . So any thoughts on this would be respected .

Catts x

2. I have no religion Josie so I have left instructions that my ashes are dumped in the swept channel at Pompey by lone boatman, no service, nothing, Know what you mean about odd bods turning up at funerals, where I used to work there were a handfull of ''proffesoinal '' mourners who always had thier black tie ready even if they did not know the dead personaly.

3. The first Captain of HMS Manchester Tony Wiggley was killed in a flying accident at Portland shortly after taking over as Captain of the establishment. At the time I was serving at Yeovilton and requsted to be allowed to attend his funeral, this was granted. At his funeral a great many serving on Manchester attended. Captain Wigley was the finest Captain that I ever served under, and I attended along with many others to pay my respects.

4. Fair point and understood. BUT you and the others could have sent your respects and not intruded on very emotional and painfull time for the family.
    ( please remember I'm trying to understand this , and am not meaning to be offensive )

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

JC a lot of families seem to draw comfort from people who had some knowledge of their loved one attending the service.
    I'm with Stirling on this on, I don't go to funerals unless I respected the deceased, there seems to be a trend that because you work with someone its the done thing to go to their funeral, I can't go along with that personally