Funerals & Respect.

FAAFLYNAVY

Lantern Swinger
Having read the sad story of the deceased RM caused me to reflect on my own recent experience.

I recently attended the funeral of an ex wartime FAA aircrewman who had served with courage & distinction, he died in his 90's in a care home having suffered poor health & dementia, & I attended as a representative, I duly turned up at the crematorium booted & suited to await the arrival of the hearse & mourners cars, when it arrived it was just the coffin in the hearse, all the mourners had come in their own vehicles, no one accompanied the coffin/him on his final journey, & after the short service they all just drifted off, "no gathering to reflect on his life, achievements or character" obviously straight back to their usual routine.

Speaking to the vicar who had taken the service he said that this was now common practice with the elderly, he new nothing of the deceased other than what he'd been told over the phone & he'd been booked by the funeral directors, he had no post funeral meeting/contact booked with the family to check that they were happy with the service.

What a bloody disgrace that parts of society have become so disrespectful of our old warriors who defended our country & freedom.:angry5:

Last edited:
G

guestm

They probably keep their service quiet because they don't want one of those horrific, cringe inducing poems written about them.

fishhead

War Hero
A funeral at today's prices is not a cheap event.Once the basic costs have been covered sometimes there is little left over money available for all the trimmings like limousines and a wake.Due to the deceased good age he may well have been a stranger to many of his surviving relatives.Many people do not like attending funerals as it reminds them of their own mortality so as soon as it's over they shuffle off to carry on with their lives.

Rachelthree

War Hero
Isn't the most prominent message of this not the ceremony itself, but more that a hefty number of elderly people live their final years lonely? Not saying that it is the job of the staff to be matey, they do not have the time- it just makes me sad that so many people have no one. There are 'buddy' schemes but they are so difficult to access it is no wonder few bother.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
As R3 says, the fact that an old person has died lonely is more of a concern than what they did in their life. Why should somebody's Service history make their achievements in life more worthwhile than, say, someone who was a nurse or worked in a Post Office, for example?

Recent tragedies in SE London aside, I do not buy into this 'military hero worship' that we are supposed to conform to. I've known plenty of service people who have died but they were not necessarily angels; some were ********* at times. But I attended their funerals to pay my respects to them as person, not because of their uniform.

Flagdeck

War Hero
They probably keep their service quiet because they don't want one of those horrific, cringe inducing poems written about them.

Montys gone, he was one of the best
but we have to honour his last request
no cringe inducing prose or verse
you know it used to make him curse

So say goodbye and make it snappy
he only wants us to be happy
a quick send off and then shoot through
to the pub, to salute that mad WAFU

Since you asked: :)

Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North,
The birth-place of Valour, the country of Worth;
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.

My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here;
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer;
A-chasing the wild-deer, and following the roe,
My heart's in the Highlands wherever I go.

Farewell to the mountains high covered with snow;
Farewell to the straths and green valleys below;
Farewell to the forests and wild-hanging woods;
Farewell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods.

Robert Burns

G

guestm

Since you asked: :)

Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North,
The birth-place of Valour, the country of Worth;
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.

Farewell to the mountains high covered with snow;
Farewell to the straths and green valleys below;
Farewell to the forests and wild-hanging woods;
Farewell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods.

Robert Burns

That's Robert Burns, a very capable writer. I was talking more about the Facebook pish trotted out every time someone gets their chit punched.

Latest Threads