Funerals for Amish school victims

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SILVER_FOX, Oct 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Terrible tragedy this one and something which you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

What truly astounds me is the fact that the Amish Community have taken so much time and effort with the family of the shooter to ensure they are looked after. They've forgiven the shooter, supported his family, genuinely hope they will stay with their "friends" in the local community and even set up a fund at a local bank for them.

We talk about Christianity and forgiveness in the rest of the world but this is the real deal. I honestly don't think I could have managed even one percent of this if it had been my children he shot.

2. In Buddhism, forgiveness is seen as a practice to prevent harmful emotions from causing havoc on one’s mental well-being, a state that I have yet to acheive. These people worship a god I don't beleive in and somehow they have apparently managed it.
    My feelings of revenge are still stronger than those of forgiveness. I know it is wrong to seek revenge and the death of someone like this twisted individual will not benefit the victims, but violent thought still prevail.
    These Amish not only have my sympathy, but also my respect.
  3. Hear hear
  4. Totally agree. It's a pity the rest of the worlds religious groups can't be the same. I think they put us all to shame.
  5. The World can learn a lot from the Amish.
  6. Yup, like learn how to bowl like a demon ala Kingpin. :oops: :lol:
  7. Case of turn the other cheek and get kicked in the bollucks, think about it you lose a child to some ******** with a gun :- your going to give him hugs and kisses and sticky buns. i trully appluad your tolerace and understanding. Can i have your stero when the shyte hits the fan. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  8. When I first left the Marines, I drove trucks over the road for a time, and used to haul Amish furniture and other goods from the Pennsylvania Dutch country.
    One of the surprising things I learned about them, is that they arent the dry, humorless stoics that they get portrated as in pop culture. They are a very warm and friendly people, and the kids have an eye for mischief like kids everywhere do, with the teenagers enjoying hell-for-leather buggy races on county roads.
    I was once told a story about a young man who found some homemade hooch somewhere, and wound up skiing behind a horse through town, pissed as a fart!

This was a senseless tragedy, and I hear that the only reason he picked the Amish schoolhouse, was because it made an easy target (no security, etc.)
  9. Having been born in Ireland and moving to the UK at age 9 I know very little about the Amish. However what I have managed to learn is they are decent honest people who don't shove their beliefs down the throats of others and just want to live their lives according to their own ways.

Methinks an example to the world.
  10. Like the Mennonites, the Amish are descendants of Swiss Anabaptist groups formed in the early 16th century during the radical reformation. The Swiss Anabaptists or "Swiss Brethren" had their origins with Felix Manz (ca. 1498–1527) and Conrad Grebel (ca.1498-1526). The name "Mennonite" was applied later and came from Menno Simons (1496–1561). Simons was a Dutch Roman Catholic priest who converted to Anabaptism in 1536 and was baptized by Obbe Philips after renouncing his Catholic faith and office. He was a leader in the Lowland Anabaptist communities, but his influence reached gradually into Switzerland.

The Amish movement takes its name from that of Jacob Amman (c. 1656 – c. 1730), a Swiss Mennonite leader. Amman believed the Mennonites were drifting away from the teachings of Simons and the 1632 Mennonite Dordrecht Confession of Faith, particularly the practice of shunning excluded members (known as the ban or Meidung). However, the Swiss Mennonites (who, because of unwelcoming conditions in Switzerland, were by then scattered throughout Alsace and the Palatinate) never practiced strict shunning as the Lowland Anabaptists did. Amman insisted upon this practice, even to the point of a spouse's refusing to sleep or eat with the banned member until he/she repented of his/her behavior. This strict literalism brought about a division in the Swiss Mennonite movement in 1693 and led to the establishment of the Amish. Because the Amish are the result of a division with the Mennonites, some consider the Amish a conservative Mennonite group.

The first Amish began migrating to the United States in the 18th century, largely to avoid religious persecution and compulsory military service. The first immigrants went to Berks County, Pennsylvania, but later moved, motivated both by land issues and by security concerns tied to the French and Indian War. Many eventually settled in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

A modern Amish cemetery in 2006. Stones are still plain, small, and simple.Other groups later settled in or spread to Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Ohio, Maryland, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Maine, and Canada. The Amish congregations left in Europe slowly merged with the Mennonites. The last Amish congregation to merge with the Mennonites was Ixheim Amish congregation which merged with the neighboring Mennonite Church in 1937. Some Mennonite congregations, including most in Alsace, are descended directly from former Amish congregations.

No Old Order movement ever developed in Europe and all Old Order communities are in the Americas.

Most Amish communities that were established in North America did not ultimately retain their Amish identity. The original major split that resulted in the loss of identity occurred in the 1860s. During that decade Dienerversammlungen (ministerial conferences) were held in Wayne County, Ohio, concerning how the Amish should deal with the pressures of modern society. The meetings themselves were a progressive idea; that bishops should get together to discuss uniformity was an unprecedented notion in the Amish church. By the first several meetings, the conservative bishops agreed to boycott the Dienerversammlungen. Thus, the more progressive Amish within several decades became Amish-Mennonite, and were then later absorbed into the "Old" Mennonites (not to be confused with Old Order Mennonites). The much smaller faction became the Amish of today. As the non-Amish world's usage of electricity and automobiles increased, a tourist industry sprung up around the Amish in places such as the Pennsylvania Dutch Country