Funeral request. RAF contacts.

Not sure if this is the right place but, posting on behalf of a fellow RN veteran.

Does anyone have any RAF family/mates.

Re-posted from another site for anyone around the Midlands ...

Morning gents,
I'm in need of some help.
A close family friend died this week aged 91.
Flt Sgt Harry Arrowsmith. Harry served in 207 Sqn during the Second World War and flew 18 missions as a rear gunner in a Lancaster bomber and was also involved in the Berlin airlift.
His wife passed away a few years ago and the only family he has is his sister. I'm concerned that his funeral will not be the send off that he deserves as only his sister and my family will be attending. If anyone knows how to get this posted in an RAF group it would be greatly appreciated in case anyone wishes to attend.
His funeral will be Thursday 24th at 1300hrs Robin Hood cemetery (hall green, Birmingham) with drinks at the Olton gentlemen's club straight after (not a strip club as the name may suggest).
Harry worked and saved his whole life and requested that his estate be split between the RAF association and the Lifeboats to help other airmen in their time of need.
He was an old school gent and a hero who will leave a large void in all our lives.
Please feel free to share this with anyone you think may wish to attend his funeral.
Regards.
Steve & family.

Wightsparker

War Hero
It could be worth contacting the Aircrew Association. Even if Harry was not a member, it is quite possible that members would like to pay their respects. My late father ( ex Wireless Op/Air Gunner) was a member of his local branch and members were only too willing to turn out at the funeral. There's a link here which might help - I suggest you click the box for the Birmingham branch and e-mail them.

http://www.aircrew.org.uk/branches.php

Good luck.

Thanks Ninja.

Here's an update. Sorry it's a bit late;
WW2 RAF Veteran Harry Arrowsmith passed away earlier this month, survived by only his sister. Despite this, his funeral was attended by over 250 well wishers, who came to honour his bravery and service to his country.

During the war, Mr Arrowsmith worked as a rear gunner on the famous Lancaster bombers. While the life expectancy of such a pilot was four missions, he bravely flew and survived 18. He then retrained as an engineer after leaving active service.

Following a local neighbour's Facebook post that was shared hundreds of times on the social network, hundreds showed up on the day to pay their dues to the brave pilot, testament to the continued respect for our Armed Forces.

RIP and thank you for your brave service Mr Arrowsmith.
We salute you.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
My best mate's Dad was a rear gunner on Lancasters & Wellingtons (Coastal Command, apparently) during the closing stages of WW2. He passed a couple of years back, but I had the honour to be the only uniformed prescence at his funeral.

A salute from me to Harry.

As for the rest of the RAF, they can just bugger off. ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Good CO Urgent funeral request for 99 year old ex serviceman - 11am in Lytham, Lancs The Quarterdeck 6
MoD_RSS Letter to local authorities to work with faith groups and funeral directors to develop safe, sensitive and innovative ways for funerals to take place MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Support towards funeral expenses to rise from tomorrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Benefit claimants to get more cash to help with funeral costs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Children’s Funeral Fund for England launches today MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bereaved families to receive funeral payments quicker MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Family of World War 1 soldiers attend their relatives' funeral a century after they gave their lives MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: ‘Shameful’ tactics in funeral plan sales to be stamped out MoD News 0
fishhead Jeremy Corbyn at N.I. Funeral Current Affairs 1
A advice sought for RN grandfathers funeral re: sewing into hammock Diamond Lil's 11
soleil Chronicle: "Appeal For Wellwishers To Attend Funeral Of Retired Royal Marine, 96, Who Had No Family" The Corps 0
J Funeral Uniform The Quarterdeck 9
Joint_Force_Harrier Mourners required for D Day Veteran's funeral (Cambridgeshire) Nearest & Dearest 0
shellbackmac Medals at funeral? UPO 8
Veterans FS Chief Petty Officer Keith Knight - Funeral Arrangements The Quarterdeck 0
Magic_Mushroom FAA Veteran's Funeral: Appropriate Content The Fleet Air Arm 5
G Churchill funeral History 0
soleil ITV: "Military Funeral For Britain's Oldest Royal Marine" The Corps 4
P Funeral Drill SCC and URNU 6
S Another Lonely RM Funeral? The Corps 1
soleil "Officers From HMS President Provide Support At Funeral Of Lady Thatcher" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
F George Osbourne cries at Maggies funeral. The Gash Barge 15
N Global Response To Funeral Of Tamworth War Veteran The Corps 7
Naval_Gazer Who cares enough to attend lonely ex-Bootie's funeral? The Corps 28
trelawney126 Funeral of US Monitor rating 150 years late History 0
MoD_RSS RAF personnel attend funeral of Sir Rex Hunt Current Affairs 0
Seaweed Funeral of Corporal David O'Connoir The Corps 1
soleil Lancashire Telegraph: "Full Military Funeral For Pioneering Edgworth Naval Officer" The Corps 0
(granny) Derby funeral Current Affairs 3
W Service Funeral The Quarterdeck 10
scouse The Choice of Jerusalem sang at a Funeral Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 13
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp BBC - Shot submarine officer Ian Molyneux's funeral held Submariners 0
soleil North-West Evening Mail: "Funeral Of Astute Officer Shot On Sub To Go Ahead" Submariners 1
JamesH Funeral help? Nearest & Dearest 6
The_Jimmy A Better American Hero's Funeral The Quarterdeck 5
soleil Poem suitable for the funeral of an ex-matelot Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 16
A Funeral of Bill Stone on BBC news channel 1430 29 Jan Current Affairs 14
T Big Dees funeral. Hoofing turn out The Corps 6
brazenhussy what song would you have played at your funeral? Diamond Lil's 59
sgtpepperband Free Film Offer - Death At A Funeral Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
S Soldiers turned away from bar after funeral The Corps 5
Father_Famine Bar in Liverpool Bars Royal Marines who attended funeral Current Affairs 46
B Funeral RSM(T) A.W.Rixon The Corps 0
MoD_RSS Government response to AHDB request for views published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Temporary changes to Subject Access Request guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fiona Dickie tells tenants what to expect when they request MRO MoD News 0
clonmel Request for help with photos The Fleet Air Arm 13
A Psychology Project Participants Request The Quarterdeck 2
MoD_RSS PM's intention to request the current session of Parliament be prorogued MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Thread Merge Request Site Issues 2