Fund an Arab civil war, are you mad?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Apr 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today William Hague called for Libya’s rebel movement to receive international funding as Nato members and their allies met for talks on the north African country’s deadlocked civil war.

Not with my taxes Mr Hague, once again our government has become embroiled in an armed conflict without any thought of the long term consequences.

Full story here:
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. Where's Bliar - The EU's Middle East shit meddler?
  3. I noticed that twat was on the news yesterday spouting his usual drivel that it's the right thing to do.
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Fink, you seem to cultivate your opinion from the media - never the most reliable of sources, in my experience. Meanwhile, the rest of us who are aware of what goes on behind the scenes know the real story but diplomacy (and OPSEC) prevent us from discussing it here.

Keep taking the meds and enjoy your afternoon snooze... :thumbleft:
  5. No shit, I know if you tell me you will have to kill me!

I formulate my views on a wide range of subjects from the vast amount of information hoisted inboard from many different sources including the sharp end, some are reliable some are not, fortunately I do have enough CDF to separate the wheat from the chaff.
  6. sgtpepperband

That's nice. It's a shame that's not demonstrated by your posts on here, though...

7. My posts are my evaluations based on the information to hand at the current time, just as yours are.

As you intimate in your posts that you are always right about everything and everyone else talks a load of shite I am beginning to wonder if SPB is actually the First Sea Lord?
  8. Opsec and diplomacy aside, are we actually advocating that this funding should go ahead?
  9. Some members may not allowed to answer, as it may put our national security at risk.
  10. sgtpepperband

Yep, that's me. Nice deviation though... :roll: Anyway, perhaps you could enlighten us as to how you came to your conclusion about this international situation, with references/sources as appropriate?
  11. SPB, he's already sourced from the financial times, however I could only read it once as they require you to subscribe :~

It states in the article about releasing funds from frozen assests of the Libyan Government, I'm not sure if thats aswell as other countries contributing.
  12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Oh good, let's fund Al Quaida, plus a shedload of corrupt grafters who will appear briefly out of the sand, trouser large chunks of cash and disappear. Because that's what it means. Glad we are taking sides at last. Maybe UK should take out another billion dollar loan for them as well, it's not fair if we only fund Al Q in Pakistan and not liberally everywhere else.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  13. Myself along with the majority of the country's taxpayers would agree that the UK taking part in another war in a sandy place is not desirable not least than for financial reasons.We are told by the Government that the UK is skint(and I believe them) so it is quite beyond belief that we have gotten ourselves embroiled in yet another war which is none of our business.Even if we manage to get our mitts on Libyan cash to help fund the enterprise I'll bet that UK Plc will still end up out of pocket.
    SPB may well tap his nose and suggest that all is not as it seems but until I'm privvy to this secret info I like finknottle remain unconvinced about why the UK is in this particular campaign.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Reported by the BBC:

" ... that while UK Foreign Secretary William Hague insisted Nato was more united than ever, the meeting has so far left unanswered the question of which other countries are willing to join the active combat role."
    Next line of text:

"There are divisions in the alliance, with Turkey and Germany opposed to the Libya mission."

How the fcuk can the UKs Foreign Secretary say that Nato "was more united as ever" and for the BBC then say that there "are divisions" ??
  15. Out of the 28 members of NATO only 6 are taking an active part and still no Arab warplanes have joined the ‘party’ proper. I am sick to the back teeth of successive PM's putting our Armed Forces into harm’s way to further their own ideological beliefs and boost their already over inflated egos.

I have reassessed my suspicion that SPB might be the sobriquet of the 1SL, for reasons that I cannot make known at this juncture I now think he is the chap that takes the tea and HobNobs round at the cobra meetings.
  16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This is what happens when politicians like Blair and Cameron (Blair Lite) can see no wrong in recklessly putting at risk the lives of their fellow citizens in the Armed Forces purely for their own self-aggrandisement. They cannot see the difference between the national interest and their own personal ambitions, and think the Armed Fiorces are just their private train set.
  17. Lord Dannatt: train and arm Libya rebels - Telegraph
  18. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Keep safe 40.
  19. I'm with Fink and Fishhead. Where's SPB gone, has he shredded himself?
  20. The good Lord needs his head looked at as there is no way he could know if he was arming and training friend or foe.