Full time AND reserves?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Turtle RN, Aug 4, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it possible to be a full time member of the Royal Navy but at the same time be a reserve for another force?

2. You mean like driving for Parcel Force on your day off ? , just kidding , doubtfull you could serve 2 masters though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. take a wild guess...

I know serving RN who're also RNLI but even that's a stretch to be honest.

4. Nope.

Does that blow your dreams of getting a green lid out of the water?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Something like that, thanks for answering my question though :)

6. Depends if you can find more than 24 hours in your day.

7. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

No

More to the point - WHY????

8. Gong hunting?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As correctly stated - you can only be a regular or a reservist. You can be a reservist on a full time contract but you cannot be in two simultaneously. Nor can you complete initial training as a regular & switch to the reserves before you complete the Return of Service.

Interestingly, URNU students were encouraged to switch between list 5 reservists & list 7, whilst remaining in the URNU, in a smoke and mirrors attempt to create the illusion we had recruited more reservists than we actually had. It was meant to bolster stats by about a hundred - it achieved less than a couple of dozen.

A few years back, the Army Reserves came-up with a hare-brained idea to let student reservists go to Afghanistan for "work experience" during the summer break. Very popular with the badge & medal collector bunch but otherwise rather bonkers.

10. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

The Army used to bust it's 2nd Lts round for month and a bit tours in various hotspots , like Northern Ireland, just after Sandbags. Bit of work experience. A good way to get a chest full of medals for 6 months work. We also used to fly ATC cadet units into the Falklands for Annual Camp, too. Why not? if the trooper is going anyhow..

You technically can be a full time and reservist, because one Officer of my acqaintance was RN and an Officer in the Cadets, which as Ninja points out, is list 7 and therefore has no requirement for deployment. That's stretching the point a bit I know but theoretically possible. And before anyone jumps in, I know the arrangement with the commissions and the relationships with the RN and the SCC etc etc...

One other thing that amazes me is the number of Police in the Reserves. Time was you were not allowed to do this in case you did not know which way to run in national emergency.