Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by panda, Apr 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody know the full crack with FTRS and do they still have them in the mob at the minute
  2. Can't say I know the 'full crack' mate, but yes, FTRS is alive and well.

What do you want to know?
  3. Anything deemed useful really, just curious as to where the billets are and for what trades etc
  4. Ah, sorry, not in a position to help I'm afraid. Maybe one of the recruiters may advise later.

Good luck.
  5. My mate re-joined the mob as FTRS shortly before Xmas, just as I was preparing for discharge. He's joined a 22 on something like a two year contract, in his old rate. I think that for you to join there must be a shortage in your branch, ie they can't fill a specific billet by the usual means. Ninja should be able to point you in the right direction.
  6. You need to register with NPT (Reserves) and then approach the Career Manager for your particular trade and see if he/she has any particular positions that they might want an FTRS person to fill.
  7. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

What is FTRS?
  8. Full time reserve service I think
    All part of a changing Navy.
    Do you remember DbyP.
    I think that is PVR now.
  9. All part of a changing navy indeed, it's political correctness gone mad! :angry4: In my day we just picthed them over the side when their contract was up but I suppose that it 'unacceptable' in today's carey-sharey navy :x

And as for changing the names of things - like DbyP to PVR, well, it's just one more example of life in Blair's Britain and heads should roll :angry4:

Yes I'm fuming!
  10. It's got fcuk all to do with 'Politcal Correctness' and everything to do with filling billets that would otherwise be gapped.
  11. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Absolutely, its the best way to beat short term gaps - you can't grow a decent experienced CPO, WO2, WO1, Lt, Lt Cdr just like using an FTRS makes sense. It can also be a way to free up a regular to go off and do an Op Tour. Good manpower control lever as long as its not abused and used too much, and therein lies the problem.
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You should get out more then, you sad sod. :roll:

Sorry to inform you, but the days of old - when you probably served, if at all - of having 60,000+ personnel in the RN to do every conceivable job/trade have long gone. As stated, the general feeling is that FTRS is a very good idea, and beneficial to all concerned; the Service benefits by using experienced personnel to fill a specific billet and the person concerned has a paid job that he can do with the eyes closed.
  13. We had a locker, a shoe locker ,and a suitcase stowage.
    Where the fcuk would I park my zimmer?
    Wait I have an idea. :lol: 8O
  14. Feck all to do with Blair. You could pvr when I joined back when Thatcher was fighting unions.

15. We was posh we DbyP'd, it felt so much better ..........more classy.
    It was fculing expensive as I recall, and I put in for it once and never got it.
  16. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I certainly do. I applied to buy myself out in 1954 but it would have cost me £100.There was no way I could afford Fags, beer and women as well as save £100. So I had to stay. I asked my old man for some cash but didn't get any.
  17. £100 the mind boggles. Even in 1965 when I joined we were only on£2.10/- a week. £2.50p for the benifit of sproggs.
    And of course 300 Blue liners a month, for 8/- ........40p.
  18. Back on thread, the route into FTRS is as outlined above. An acquaintance of mine is on a full comitment FTRS contract, and is considering signing back on anyway, as the package may be better for him that way. The days when FTRS where employed exclusively shore side seem to be over. Personally, I'd still consider a HC contract in Guzz if one came up, but only if the right draft came up!