Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

FTRS

The RAF seem to have adopted a different tack on FTRS, many of their FTRS posts are created by permanantly regrading a regular post as HC FTRS i.e. not gap-filling but cost-saving (individuals prefer it to MSF because the deal seems to be better?)

I don't think that's the way to go (picture the scene in Parliament, things are getting tight in Iraqistan and the Defence Minister says, "Chief of the Air Force why don't you mobilise all those Reserves you've been training?" His Airship blusters, "Actually Minister we've been using them full-time for years to make ends meet, there's no one else left to recall"

What do others think?
 
Pierre_Argh said:
The RAF seem to have adopted a different tack on FTRS, many of their FTRS posts are created by permanantly regrading a regular post as HC FTRS i.e. not gap-filling but cost-saving (individuals prefer it to MSF because the deal seems to be better?)

I don't think that's the way to go (picture the scene in Parliament, things are getting tight in Iraqistan and the Defence Minister says, "Chief of the Air Force why don't you mobilise all those Reserves you've been training?" His Airship blusters, "Actually Minister we've been using them full-time for years to make ends meet, there's no one else left to recall"

What do others think?

I have to say that while I share your concern over the way the RAF 'interprets' the rules I have (once again) a sneaking regard for the fact that the RAF always seem to be prepared to see rules as guidelines not tramlines.

I rather wish the RN was a bit better at recognising that there are often 'special cases' that need 'special treatment'.
 
I don't think its so much a case of seeing the rules as guidelines...
although I think it was Douglas Bader who said, "Rules and for the obeyance of fools and the guidance of wisemen"... but rather that they're behaviour is more like the teenager who says "you never told me I couldn't do it!"

End result still undoubtedly in their favour, just with less grace... and the result is they're still over-manned.
 
Pierre_Argh said:
I don't think its so much a case of seeing the rules as guidelines...
although I think it was Douglas Bader who said, "Rules and for the obeyance of fools and the guidance of wisemen"... but rather that they're behaviour is more like the teenager who says "you never told me I couldn't do it!"

End result still undoubtedly in their favour, just with less grace... and the result is they're still over-manned.

You could be right Pierre, either way they seem to consciously look for ways to work around the rules to achieve what they want - very un-British but then they are the RAF!

Personally I have always been in favour of joining queues at the end rather than pushing into the middle, standing back to let people OFF the train first and other very British traits - it doesn't always get me very far.
 
dubaipusser said:
Personally I have always been in favour of joining queues at the end rather than pushing into the middle, standing back to let people OFF the train first and other very British traits - it doesn't always get me very far.

No, but it does help,albeit in a minor way, to maintain standards.
 
Reservist-Monkey said:
Pierre_Argh said:
End result still undoubtedly in their favour, just with less grace... and the result is they're still over-manned.

Hence the 4 month op tours as opposed to everyone elses 6!

I could be mistaken here but I think there is a bit of confusion creeping in over FTRS and Mobilised Operational Tours.

FTRS contracts relate to the likely lifespan of the job or current policy on how long an individual should be in an FTRS billet (whichever is most appropriate).

Mobilisation is intended to be a 6 month tour but when you build in the OPTAG/Pre deployment training (sometimes as much as 2-3 weeks) and the Post Operational Tour Leave (20 days for a 6 month tour plus any annual leave accrued, a further 15 days), all of which are supposed to be taken within the 6 months Mobilisation) - surprise, surprise you are left with about 4 months (if you are lucky!!!!)
 
You misunderstand me DP. The crabs as an entity (not just as reservists) aim to put people on ops for no more than four months.

All the mobilised RNR I know do 6 months in theatre with other time on top of that.
 
Reservist-Monkey said:
You misunderstand me DP. The crabs as an entity (not just as reservists) aim to put people on ops for no more than four months.

All the mobilised RNR I know do 6 months in theatre with other time on top of that.

Apologies - I get your drift now
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top