FTRS effect of pay rise on pension abatement

Sumo

War Hero
I really struggle to understand how we are penalised with pension abatement. In my opinion it is theft! If I leave and take new job with another employer that pays the same (or more) than my former RN salary my pension is not abated. So, why should this happen if I leave and start a new contract with the RN?

Where does the money which is taken from you as abatement go? Does it come back to you later on or is it gone for good?

If I were to leave as a chief and started a FTRS job as a chief I'd be getting paid exactly the same as if I was to leave as a chief and start a FTRS job as an AB. Same money for a fraction of the work and responsibility.
I am sure (may be wrong) that when Civil servants retire then come back on another contract they get all their pension rights?

huwshpis

War Hero
I am sure (may be wrong) that when Civil servants retire then come back on another contract they get all their pension rights?
Sorry Sumo, I don't think so. I have a Civil Service pension and if (God forbid!) I went back into that s**ke-pit, I'd lose it for as long as I stayed there. I prefer being self-employed :)

I really struggle to understand how we are penalised with pension abatement. In my opinion it is theft! If I leave and take new job with another employer that pays the same (or more) than my former RN salary my pension is not abated. So, why should this happen if I leave and start a new contract with the RN?

Where does the money which is taken from you as abatement go? Does it come back to you later on or is it gone for good?

If I were to leave as a chief and started a FTRS job as a chief I'd be getting paid exactly the same as if I was to leave as a chief and start a FTRS job as an AB. Same money for a fraction of the work and responsibility.
Because the public sector has “gold plated pension the poor old private sector have to pay”, and the Daily Wail and Taxpayers Alliance can cause all kinds of merry hell about it.

Not right.
Not fair.
No chance of it changing.