FS (functional skills tests for techs) - will the RN bring these in?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by block, Dec 9, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I might be on a wind-up here but a mate, currently serving, reckons by the time I get to PNRC next year I'll have to pass a Math and English exam. Apparently the RAF have brought in these 'functional skills' tests as part of basic and recruits have two chances to pass to get on their trade - and all technical branches of the services are to follow. ANY thoughts - I mean, any truth in it ?
  2. I am in the recruiting process currently and have not heard anything about this at all, so would also like to know if there is any truth to it.

I thought that was the whole point of the RT - to show you have the academic ability to complete training within your BOP.
  3. You still have to do maths and english tests when you join, it's all part of key skills.
  4. Key skills or functional skills is usually done in phase 2 training.
  5. Functional skills are done at the start of phase 2. Maths, English and IT.
  6. In that case I already have key skills at level 2 in maths, English and it, which I gained doing an nvq level 3 at college.

Would I be exempt from this? Or maybe I could do my level 3 instead? Or resit some gcse's? Please don't tell me I'll have to do it again lol
  7. Make sure you take all relevant certificates with you, if valid then you "should" not need to retake. However that isn't always the case.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The funny old thing is the tests have nothing to do with the service, have been part of training for ten or more years & they are not pass/fail, they are merely an indicator whether or not the individual may need additional tuition during training.

In short, ease to five. And breathe.

9. And, of course, allow participating institutions to pull down government funding to do so. And hence make uptake figures for vocational training look better...:eek:
  10. RAF Functional Skills:

Hotel Check In

Getting an Upgrade

Avoiding working weekends or in the rain

Hiding all extra manpower in gash jobs round the squadron then moaning they cant meet the flying program....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1