Frustrating medical triage

Sunnydays

Hi all,

I had my triage with the nurse yesterday who just wasn’t listening to what I was saying!
So firstly a couple of years after my daughter was born I had a little bit of depression, nothing serious and was only on medication for 8 weeks. In the letter to my GP the triage nurse has said I had post natal depression, those words did not leave my mouth!! Secondly last year I went to my GP due to a bad headache that I thought may have been migraine, I was given a prescription that I did not collect from as the head ache went, and as discussed with my GP it could be down to not drinking enough waster! I have never had them before and I havnt been back to GP since with this and I think it’s down to change of diet, plenty of water etc.. on my patient summary it doesn’t say I was diagnosed with migraine!
In the letter to my GP from the triage nurse as well as her saying post natal depression then also querying the migraine!

My worries are that this may prevent me from progressing into the navy Reserves, I have spoken to my GP and they have told me on my record it does not state I have been diagnosed with either of those and that With the headache I did not take the treatment and only says migraine with a question mark in the actual notes from the consultation!
I found the nurse from Capita not very helpful at all making her own asumptions and diagnosis, she even went as far as asking with the headache if I was photo sensitive, I said no but at the time it obviously hurt to look at the computer screen as I had a whopping headache so she’s put down I’m photosensitive with migraine, I feel so angry and I can’t even call them to complain

any help and advice would be very much appreciated thanks

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
First action on - calm down.

You have given information that will not be verified as medical conditions by the GP, so it is unlikely to truly affect the outcome. If it does, be prepared to challenge it.

We often say on here to always tell the truth, but what we really mean is to make sure you are not trying to miss out or trivialise something that your records will later reveal as this makes you look as if you are trying to conceal something. In this case you may have revealed too much in an honest effort not to conceal things.

I hate to say it, but a period of depression after giving birth is the very definition of post-natal depression, whether you want to categorise it as that or not. In any case, it is a very common condition. Whether it affects the application having been prescribed medication only 2 years ago I don't know.

And finally - I am not involved in RN recruitment and my missives above have as much validity on the subject as an advertising agent pitching to a new account. Your first and last call is always to speak to your AFCO.

Sunnydays

Thanks for your response I have tried to be as open and honest with the nurse but just felt like she was making up her own diagnosis! It does not state I was diagnosed with post natal depression just low mood/depression this was in 2013 2 years after my daughter was born!
My main concern is about the headache I went in for last year, I was not diagnosed with migraine and have not been back since as I have made a big effort to cut the caffeine and drink plenty of water! It was me initially thinking it was one! But I was never medicated for it. It was only discussed on the consultation that I thought it was a migraine. Like you say I may have given more information that I needed too

Sunnydays

Thanks for your response I have tried to be as open and honest with the nurse but just felt like she was making up her own diagnosis! It does not state I was diagnosed with post natal depression just low mood/depression this was in 2013 2 years after my daughter was born!
My main concern is about the headache I went in for last year, I was not diagnosed with migraine and have not been back since as I have made a big effort to cut the caffeine and drink plenty of water! It was me initially thinking it was one! But I was never medicated for it. It was only discussed on the consultation with my GP that I thought it was a migraine. Like you say I may have given more information that I needed too

soleil

War Hero
Sunnydays

As far as I can see, your application is still at the stage where more information is being gathered and so I think that the best thing to do at the moment is to take a deep breath and stay hopeful. It would be difficult if your GP were to write back stating that these assumptions were all spot on, but this sounds unlikely.

For your reassurance, I would be inclined to give your AFCO Careers Advisor a call to see where things are at the moment.

The ultimate arbiter on these matters is someone called SMO(SE) - Senior Medical Officer (Service Entry) - there is a separate SMO(SE) for the Reserves and any extra information will go to him for further consideration. The impression I get from skimming through your post is that things haven't reached that stage yet.

Don't worry at this point, give your Careers Advisor at the AFCO a call and see where things are at the moment.

Sunnydays

Thanks, I’m sure I’m just worrying about nothing. My GP is fantastic so I’m sure they will make it clear to Capita there are no issues

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Update from the UK Chief Medical Officers on the COVID-19 alert level MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
B Captia medical Joining the Royal Navy 3
P Medical Appeals waiting time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R Medical questionnaire, best practice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Government working with midwives, medical experts, and academics to investigate BAME maternal mortality MoD News 0
M Aircraft controller aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
P Medical History of Opiate Dependance Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
R Medical - Irritation in ears Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Statement from the UK Chief Medical Officers on schools and childcare reopening MoD News 0
L MH Susceptible -Medical (Suxamethonium) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K Medical Joining the Royal Navy 4
S Medical appeal Joining the Royal Navy 1
S Royal Fleet auxillary Medical exam Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS Letter to medicines and medical products suppliers: 3 August 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from the UK Chief Medical Officers on extension of self-isolation period: 30 July 2020 MoD News 0
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Medical Device “Certificates of Compliance” / “Attestation of Conformity” have no legal standing under MDR MoD News 0
R GP medical paperwork delays Joining the Royal Navy 7
Y Medical issues Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B CAPITA MEDICAL Joining the Royal Navy 39
MoD_RSS Deos: delivering faster and better mobile medical screening MoD News 0
P What’s assessed on aircrew medical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P Medical appeal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
MoD_RSS MOD delivers 10,000 items of critical medical equipment to NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Medical device suppliers’ merger raises competition concerns MoD News 0
Hanginout1664 Diver Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S Medical- Rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Update from the UK Chief Medical Officers on the UK alert level MoD News 0
T Medical Bars? Joining the Royal Navy 4
D medical triage call eczema Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS New ACCEA Medical Director announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Senior civil servant and former lecturer in medical statistics appointed to Joint Biosecurity Centre MoD News 0
H Medical Cadetships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Medical Experience - Acne Joining the Royal Navy 18
MoD_RSS Statement from the UK Chief Medical Officers on an update to coronavirus symptoms: 18 March 2020 MoD News 0
C Application referred to senior medical officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Puma helicopter performs first island medical evacuation MoD News 0
L trying to get my medical Joining the Royal Navy 9
C Diver Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS Border Force prioritising checks on medical equipment MoD News 0
J Medical- psycathric (sorry for spelling!!) Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS UK medicines and medical devices regulator investigating 14 cases of fake or unlicensed COVID-19 medical products MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor waives duties and VAT on vital medical imports MoD News 0
Avocadolol Capita and medical Joining the Royal Navy 9
MoD_RSS Coronavirus: global crackdown sees a rise in unlicenced medical products related to COVID-19 MoD News 0
B How is the medical triage done Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Suspension of War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Medical Examinations and Assessments MoD News 0
ChewieTheWAFU Medical Discharge Finance & Pensions 1