Front Page Update Warning Order

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by Good_CO, Mar 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There will shortly be a change of the site 'index page' - i.e. the one with the last forum posts on, so that it becomes similar to this: www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/index.php

Why? to make the site easier to use:

Left hand menu is no longer needed since I added the header menu and just confuses people new to the site and many not so new.

The page is much more usable for people on smaller screen resolutions, and allows the last posts to spread out more on all screen resolutions.

It removes a lot of the clutter from the very front page of the site which is now much simpler (see below).

It will cut down on the space wasted on the large center image.

The blocks go to the right as they are now much less important that the main content, which is clearer.

I'm posting this now to try and head off the complaints that a change always brings. Some members of ARRSE were very upset to find that their login box had move to the right of the screen for instance.

It won't happen immediately though so you do have time to comment and protest. I'm always open to other ideas, but I am fairly adamant that a clear up is needed.

2. I keep getting page unavailable , or has it not happened yet , !!!!!!!!!!!! :???:

3. I like the look of the new front end Good CO

Well done

Keep up the excellent work

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Looks good BZ

5. OK, the deed is don, although I'm still tweaking. Bring it on!!

6. Eyes hurt, brain failing......oh! Wait a minute....it's the same just in a different format!!!

Nice one Good CO, I'm sure even the sticks in the mud will get used to it!!

7. Phew ! :shock: I thought I'd done something to the pc in the few nanoseconds I was off line.....

I will be more observant next time... !!

:smile:

8. Can you get rid of (move) the advert in the middle of the forums list ??

9. Mmm... I'm not so happy about the way things are spread out at the moment either, aprticularly on the RM theme, but it will take a while to settle. Where should it go?

10. I thought I was on the wrong site, WOW that is different :cool:

11. Ditto

12. Ditto Ditto.

13. Yes i dont like the ad in the middle also :smile:

14. Ad now gone and thanks for the feedback. Of course I'll be expecting donations from those that complained as you won't accept advertising on the site to pay for it ;)

15. Can you set up a pay per view system for them?

16. Good CO - I will accept advertising on the site, and often click the links as I anticipate that you get pay-per-click revenue (if you do I suggest you make all other users aware to boost your income) :wink: :idea:

I'm not suggesting it be removed altogether, merely for it to be moved, which you have kindly done.

Perhaps ads could go to one side, like google quick links, or one at the top of the forum list on index page and one at the bottom of the list before slackers. :idea:

17. Good CO likeing the new format, looks a lot better. I agree with KLNA about letting everyone know about the pay per click advertising, I wasn't aware of this ut will click now!

18. The pay per click thing on Google works well for us in general, but please don't start merrily clicking just because they're there and it might help us - firstly it costs the advertisers money as we know ourselves from placing RR ads with Google, and also Google are wise to this sort of thing, and I think too much random clicking can result in a ban.

More importantly than that thanks for the positive feedback. Interestingly on here the feedback has been polite and generally good where as on ARRSE I get an immediate verbal assault if I so much as change a font size - does this say anything about the values and behaviour of the senior service? or is it just that the layout and look were so bad on RR before than anything is better?! :)

19. Good CO

If my post above re pay-per-click is likely to cause any problems, can you remove it from this thread- I don't want to do anything to the detriment of this site

20. No problem at all and thanks for the thought - what's KLNA by the way? Registration number? can't quite see from the photo.