From the mouths of babes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by janner, Jun 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Divers have to be safe when they go under the water. Divers can't go down alone, so they have to go down on each other.(Becky, age 8)

My dad was a sailor on the ocean. He knows all about the ocean. What he doesn't know is why he quit being a sailor and married my mum.

2. "Mary, the mother of Jesus, had an immaculate contraption".

3. In the 80s, my two young sons were keen to visit HMS Victory (the elder had just done a school project about the ship)
    In due course, we queued up, and were given the tour by one of the guides ( RN in those days) who waxed lyrical.
    "Right, ladies and gentlemen, we are now on the Lower Gun Deck and this is a 32-pounder cannon. The gun crew actually lived here as well - they slung their hammocks from those hooks and ate at this mess table. One of the ship's boys - who had the job of being a powder monkey - sat on that barrel at the end of the table. It's not really called a barrel, it's a breaker, spelled b.a.r.r.i.c.o.e. - and it contained the hard tack ship's biscuits which formed a major part of the men's diet......."

Interruption from the younger, seven-year-old son: "Are those the ones with the stoats in?"

Perplexed sailor: " Er.....what?"

Me, after a rare flash of inspiration from one of the boys' favourite books: "Stoats....weasels ....WEEVILS!"

• Like Like x 3