From the Daily Mail: How the RN forges links with the Merchant Navy

Thought I recognised the name,was skipper of other crew on Vig when I was on there,it was a lifetime ago! I have heard of this sort of thing before,baby officers can do a similar thing under training

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Typically nasty Daily Wail rant but still capable of doing tremendous damage to the RN's little-known working relationship with the Merchant Navy.

This is a valuable scheme that enhances our operational capability at no expense to the taxpayer. A Royal Navy officer whose job involves laison with the Merchant Navy (it's a major part of what the RN does) is given the opportunity to meet them and see them at work. It's pot luck. He could just as easily have ended up on a reefer (refrigeration ship), container ship or tanker (although I doubt his wife would have gone along too).

More information on the RN website: Merchant Navy Liaison Voyages

Also see: Naval Cooperation and Guidance for Shipping, including a NATO system which is very much developed and driven by the RN from Northwood.

Background Since the end of the Cold War, Naval Control of Shipping (NCS) has revealed its inadequacies when faced with trans-national shipping interests, inter-modal transportation conglomerates, likelihood of smaller, multinational and long lasting operations and shrinking naval forces. The introduction of Regional NCS (RNCS) following the Gulf War was a positive move, but did not satisfy fully the broad international security requirements of the NATO military commander and the harsh economic "just in time" deadlines of shipping companies. Although Operation SHARP GUARD was a military success, it placed a heavy demand on NATO resources and slowed the overall pace of economic shipping through the Adriatic. RNCS was never implemented (possibly due to inflexibility/complexity of its procedures, manpower requirement and activation of reserve personnel). Additionally some nations objected to the use of RNCS procedures.

Commercial shipping relies on the principle of freedom of movement on the high seas to conduct its day to day business. NATO Commanders require the capability to access a wide variety of information in order to minimise disruption to the Sea Lanes Of Communication (SLOC). During Maritime Interdiction Operations (MIO) and embargo enforcement operations, the need to have information concerning merchant shipping readily to hand becomes paramount.

Co-operation There are clear indications of emerging willingness among the commercial shipping community to co-operate with NATO when it is in their economic interest so to do. Lessons learned from recent operations and exercises demonstrate that NATO must develop closer co-operation with commercial shipping. With newly formed joint military structures and growing involvement from NATO nations, international organisations and non-NATO states, the effectiveness of such co-operation is fundamental. Building on technological advances in web-based global communications, and the implementation of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS), there is potential for NATO and the shipping industry to benefit from increased synergy, lower costs and greater operational efficiency and effectiveness to cope in times of tension & crisis.

The renaming of NATO NCS as Naval Co-operation and Guidance for Shipping (NCAGS) is acknowledgement of the need to replace ‘control’ with ‘co-operation’ in military/commercial maritime affairs. Such co-operation needs to work on a continuous, low level basis and in addition to enhancing and developing NCAGS functions, it provides the essential framework needed to allow commercial and military shipping to operate together more efficiently and effectively when required in a crisis.

NATO Shipping Centre A permanent NATO Shipping Centre (NSC) is important as a co-operation and communications hub and to keep track of commercial shipping, the latter vital to provide pattern data and historical information, together with the ability to support maritime commanders in all situations leading up to crises, as well as in exercises. This permanent shipping centre does not preclude other, national centres set up as required, for exercises and operations; indeed, it is complementary. The NSC provides the maritime commander with the ability to resolve shipping problems at a lower level, or during the initial stages of a crisis.

Although encouraged, commercial users are under no obligation to be part of the system. Indeed, they may even withdraw their co-operation at any time if they wish to withhold information for commercial reasons. The shipping industry should be aware that the integrity of particularly sensitive commercial information, if given to the NSC, would be respected.

Consequently, the information management system used to implement such policy is designed to respect commercial sensitivities. Conversely, commercial operators not limited to NATO flagged or owned vessels will be encouraged to participate to supporting the general economic flow of shipping. Currently, merchant shipping operating in or near a crisis area is presented with the challenge of where to call when in need of advice, particularly so when the crisis is at a lower level. Whereas some nations are well equipped to provide advice for own flag vessels this is not true of all and the "one number – one call" system that the NSC represents. We will assist all vessels, regardless of flag, wishing to co-operate with NATO.

This two-way communication is supported by an advanced interactive unclassified website at the NATO Shipping Centre at NATO's Regional Headquarter East Atlantic at Northwood, UK, which was established in 2002.

I don't have any probs with him and his mrs having a jolly....just don't dress it up as if it's valuable to the understanding of cross asset cooperation. Same snout in the trough as when MP's go on fact finding missions to St Lucia.....

I guess once you have been indoctrinated by BRNC you lose the ability to think for yourself and merely promote party lines.

Last edited:
The system is reciprocal and provides for the useful exchange of professional knowledge at the officer level. There are lighter moments, too. I'll never forget having the First Officer of a Cunard liner understudy me as OOW in a frigate. After I had spent 10 minutes taking over the ship from the offgoing OOW, he said:

"Our turnovers are much simpler. I just say 'Two burning, two turning, both swimming pools empty, heading that way.'"

G

guestm

Characteristically misleading article from the Mail again. It's not paid for by the taxpayer and as he's taking up post at UKMTO, a famil with the Merchant Navy makes perfect sense.

What's the problem?*

*Other than that ****ing filthy, evil rag of a paper.

Again, it's depressing to read the bloody Comments section. Have we really become such a narrow minded, ignorant, peevish and mean spiried bunch of bastards? Makes you wonder sometimes what we've sweated blood and tears defending.

PS

This bloody grips;

Last night, Shadow Defence Minister Kevan Jones said the move demonstrated contempt for the 5,000 sailors who have been removed from service in the past three years because of defence cuts. He said: ‘Why are Royal Navy top brass living in luxury when sailors are picking up their P45s in time for Christmas?
Ah yes, a man of the people. Anything to get a vote from yer average tabloid reader.

Last edited:
The article also mentions that he paid for he and his wife's flights to and from the ship. I believe it even mentions he took the 2 weeks as part of his leave!!
Utter dirge of an article.

Last night, Shadow Defence Minister Kevan Jones said the move demonstrated contempt for the 5,000 sailors who have been removed from service in the past three years because of defence cuts. He said: ‘Why are Royal Navy top brass living in luxury when sailors are picking up their P45s in time for Christmas?
It's a shame that the ignorant Mr Jones doesn't seem to have availed himself of a 'free jolly' on board an operational warship or submarine as part of the Armed Force Parliamentary Scheme. However, with his attitude he'd probably regard it as a waste of his time and wouldn't bother using the opportunity to learn anything.
Hansard 11 Sep 2013 said:
For 25 years, the armed forces parliamentary scheme has done a fantastic job in enabling Back Benchers—and, indeed, on many occasions, Front Benchers—from both sides of the House to embed themselves with our armed forces in the Army, Navy and Air Force, and to find out what is happening on the ground. They are finding out not necessarily about strategic matters or ground defence, but about how our boys and girls, as we often call the members of all three of our armed services, do their work on the ground...

For 25 years, the scheme has enabled an enormous number of people—265, if my counting is correct—to find out what happens to airmen, and soldiers and sailors of both sexes on the ground. There is a third level to the scheme in the Royal College of Defence Studies, where those who have graduated from the lower levels can find out more about the grand strategy and the bigger defence picture. Largely, however, the purpose of the scheme is to find out precisely what is happening on the ground...

An actual story would have been to highlight the importance of the MN and maritime trade to the UK, both from an economic and security point of view.
But I guess misleading cheap shot articles sell more papers...

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Good old kevan. Having heard his personal excesses from when he was a minister, i am astounded at his hypocrisy
This is a very genuine and vital liaison role which is being put at risk by idiots who have no idea about what they are doing.

The system is reciprocal and provides for the useful exchange of professional knowledge at the officer level. There are lighter moments, too. I'll never forget having the First Officer of a Cunard liner understudy me as OOW in a frigate. After I had spent 10 minutes taking over the ship from the offgoing OOW, he said:
"Our turnovers are much simpler. I just say 'Two burning, two turning, both swimming pools empty, heading that way.'"

Same on the panel - 'All the balls are balls and all the bars are bars' though if our Wrecker (Ivan!) heard you handing over like that he'd go mental!!.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It probably is a bit of a 'jolly', but:
1) No taxpayer money involved.
2) No conflict of interest. The cruise company paid because they thought dialogue between Commander Dunn and their crews would improve the latter's ability to do their jobs. Presumably, no naval secrets were disclosed.
3) He did it in his own holiday in order to better understand his new job.

Good old kevan. Having heard his personal excesses from when he was a minister, i am astounded at his hypocrisy...
He's been at it again in yet another muck-stirring Daily Wail story about the Forces. Someone is obviously pulling their chain:
Daily Mail 1 Dec 2013 said:
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond was last night branded ‘paranoid’ over claims that he banned his Labour opposite number from sitting next to one of Britain’s top military chiefs at a dinner. Mr Hammond was accused of ensuring that organisers of an Armed Forces charity dinner tore up their seating plan to separate new Shadow Defence Secretary Vernon Coaker from Sir Stuart Peach, the Vice-Chief of the Defence Staff.

Last night a Ministry of Defence source said that top brass insisted on the change, adding: ‘Hammond knew nothing about it... But Mr Coaker’s deputy, Kevan Jones, a former Defence Minister, accused Mr Hammond of ‘paranoia’ over his relations with Labour and the MoD.

Last edited:
Again, it's depressing to read the bloody Comments section. Have we really become such a narrow minded, ignorant, peevish and mean spiried bunch of bastards? Makes you wonder sometimes what we've sweated blood and tears defending.
Seems the more level headed have just picked up on this non-story and seen it for exactly what it is. Good on 'em!