Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From picking up the phone to Britannia - A guide to Officer Selection

Demob

Hi guys, first post here. Really interesting reading all this and seeing how little has changed from 1989, so here's my dit. I went down for the AIB as an LMA in the RNR, with about six years' rating service behind me. Two leading Wrens from my division came with me. We'd been CW officer candidates for about a year, getting the coaching in-house which took us away from our branches a lot of the time. Medicals, fitness etc was sorted and as we were all current with our PULHEEMS, that eased things somewhat.

Come the big date and arrival at Sultan, after settling in we hit the pub. We'd been warned about a "plant" sitting with us to see how we behaved and interacted, and there was a PO with us for the evening. I think we all restricted ourselves to a couple of pints, though half of us were smoking like crazy as there was no ban then and we had the full-on nerves!

The gym tests came on the next day and it was pot luck if you got a dry or wet one. Mine was dry, as was my mouth after sitting on a bench with my briefing notes and thinking: "I'm f*cked!" Anyway, we all cracked on in our numbered stokers' overalls, loads of encouragement, delegation and "Good idea, Number 3, we'll go with that!" after I had my team stuck up in the air. Anyway, the objective wasn't achieved!

We had PSO interviews the next day (personnel selection officers, not sure if they still do this) which went really well for me. It was a Wren officer who I think may have been a psychologist or shrink of some kind. She was a great looker and I felt we were getting on fine, talking about life experience, political views, family stuff. It just flowed. I do remember her asking how I'd deal with my former messmates if I passed and came back an officer. I just said: "I'll not let them have a go at me, Ma'am." Truth is I hadn't anticipated the question, obvious as it was!

PLT's came after that; my syndicate had Jungle Fever with the crucial serum to be delivered by boat against a current flow/speed/time/distance variable. Not my strongest subject working that kind of thing out - or even knowing what I should be working out - but we pulled together and spoke when we felt we could contribute.

Next up was the board interview. "Be yourself" and all that other stuff was ringing in my head so I snatched a quick look at the ship picture on the wall on the way in, which was just as well as I was ready to reply: "Rolls Royce Olympus turbines Sir - same as Concorde," when the question came up. I hadn't been to uni at that point so I felt I was up against it, although I'd done certificate courses at night school and being in my mid-20s, had life experience of working since I was 17. Also I was already a trained rate, so it felt to me they probably had a handle on me already. Anyway, I felt it went OK.

On the train home, the two Wrens and I tried to relax but they were quite pessimistic so it was hard not to find it rubbing off. When I was on duty the following Tuesday I was desperate to find out if the results were in. The Cap Sec told me to come in a suit and not my usual No 8s (called 4s now). I asked him if anything was in yet and he said he couldn't tell me. I then asked if I he thought I had anything to worry about and he said: "Oh, I shouldn't think so." Ahah! My final duty as a killick was taking my squad of new entries to safety in a fire drill before being summoned by my divisional officer for congrats. He called me by my first name and took me into the wardroom to meet all the officers, which was quite freaky and nerve-wracking.

It was a surreal time as the Berlin Wall was just coming down but we still faced the "Red Menace" so it was same as usual - at least initially. Being a new acting subby but not being a doctor meant leaving the medical branch and entering NCS (naval control of shipping) but meantime working through the task book. Then it was Options for Change due to the Red Menace having receded, or something. The division closed as did a chapter of my life, but I'm still in uniform, having swapped a stripe for a PO's badge as a Sea Cadet instructor, meaning life has gone full circle as I started out as a cadet aged 12. Gen dit.

Good luck in your careers all. Go safely. Remember, when it stops being fun it's time to swallow the anchor :)

JN19

Sorry for bumping a slightly old thread but I was reading through this hoping to get some insight... Ive just passed my medical and arranged my fitness test for a couple of weeks from now which I should pass, but my AFCO recruiter told me after I pass my fitness he can start bidding for me? (Going in as an ET(ME) At the time I didn't know this place existed so didn't question it, but reading this, does he mean he can start bidding for me to have my SIFT interview? Cheers.

J

JFOTRAVELS

This post is so incredibly helpful, thank you!!

I am new to the forum - currently in the process of joining the RN as Warfare Officer and would welcome any helpful comments from people currently serving/joining!

J

JFOTRAVELS

Hi there!

How long after your medical did your fitness get booked in?

Thanks.

sirius

My recruitment timeline:
Initial application to RT - 4 months
RT to Medical - 1 month
Medical to PJFT - 6 weeks
PJFT to SIFT - 2 weeks
SIFT to AIB - 3 and a half months

I got my letter to book PJFT just over a month from my medical date and booked it for the closest weekend.

J

JFOTRAVELS

Super helpful! Thank you! I'm feeling less anxious about waiting times now!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Blackrat Picking Up the Brass/Map of Africa by Eddy Nugent The Book Club 1
R Warfare Officer or CT (Brain Picking) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
ProudNavyWife(tooBe) Help picking a course while I wait until I can apply Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
D Picking Up The Brass - on sale now! The Book Club 6
MoD_RSS Next steps announced to boost road safety and close mobile phone loophole MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Readout of PM phone call with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and European Council President Charles Michel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Our phone numbers are changing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Readout of Secretary of State for Defence Ben Wallace’s phone call with US Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Don’t miss out, claim Child Benefit by phone or post, HMRC tells new parents MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Can you give me 50 Cent’s phone number? 2019’s most unusual requests from Brits abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government acts to improve road safety by closing mobile phone loophole MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid helps world’s poorest access better mobile phone technologies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Controls prevent phone fraudsters spoofing HMRC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: GLD are currently experiencing issues with the phone lines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Phone detection kit introduced in prisons MoD News 0
K Triage phone call while overseas Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Glasgow mobile phone boss banned after submitting false documents MoD News 0
F Triage medical phone call fail Joining the Royal Navy 4
Max9393 Nurse phone call Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Max9393 Nurse triage phone call Joining the Royal Navy 9
Matthew Medical triage phone call Health & Fitness 10
MoD_RSS Press release: PM phone call with President Trump and President Macron: 10 April 2018 MoD News 0
A Payment of rent/Phone bill etc while training Joining the Royal Navy 11
R Appeals - after medical phone call Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
K Medical Phone Call Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
G How did you phone home from Raleigh? History 12
MoD_RSS Press release: PM's phone call with PM Abadi of Iraq: 1 September 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM's phone calls with PM Sipilä of Finland and PM Solberg of Norway: 31... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM phone calls with international leaders: 26 July 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM phone call with President Erdogan of Turkey: 18 July 2016 MoD News 0
taffscrivs Pervy phone call. Blue Jokes 0
sgtpepperband Look up from your phone, shut down that display The Internet - Best and Worst 3
scouse Phone hacking, your views Diamond Lil's 5
scouse MOD and 118 and speaking clock phone bill Diamond Lil's 0
soleil ITV London: "Red Phone Box Installed On Warship" The Fleet 1
Chris1337 Interview update over the phone..? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil BBC: "Phone Navigation Warning After Lost Hillwalkers Rescued From Trossachs" The Fleet Air Arm 1
S I phone Spam Bloody Computers 1
soleil Radio 4 - 1200 Today - The Defence Budget - Call You And Yours Phone-In Current Affairs 0
soleil Pompey News: "Honours Go To Navy Sailor For His Phone App" The Fleet 3
soleil T'graph: Royal British Legion Severs Links With News Of The World Over Phone Hacking Current Affairs 31
P T-Mobile try to pursue sailor for £250-phone bill, but eventually back down The Quarterdeck 30
Chaz UN Phone Survey Miscellaneous 2
B Got a promising phone call from my ca Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Letsbeavenue Nuisance Phone Calls Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker British Army Answer Phone Miscellaneous 0
M Mobile Phone Insurance Finance & Pensions 3
scouse HMS Invincible for sale!!! phone Janet The Fleet Air Arm 2
D British Army answer phone message. RR Greatest Threads 4
S Tracing a phone number. Diamond Lil's 36