From Application until HMS Raleigh. RATING

Shipwrek

Midshipman
Hi, I applied to be a Steward Apprentice last year but didn't get through to interview. I reapplied in May this year, but I won't find out till November if I got through to interview. Its a long wait but I'm staying positive. Your post is really helpful and encouraging. Good luck.

buffersduffer

Lantern Swinger
Hi, I applied to be a Steward Apprentice last year but didn't get through to interview. I reapplied in May this year, but I won't find out till November if I got through to interview. Its a long wait but I'm staying positive. Your post is really helpful and encouraging. Good luck.
Not sure what your background is or what experience you have, to sail as a steward on a merchant vessel you may only need a food hygiene certificate and the basic STCW tickets. Huge demand for all roles as we exit lockdown and the ferries get back to normal, speak to Seamariner and look up ‘South West Maritime Academy’, both good companies who can help. The old paddle steamer Waverley needs crew for the summer as well, will keep you ticking over until you join the RFA and give you invaluable experience to put on your cv (if you need it). Good luck

Shipwrek

Midshipman
Not sure what your background is or what experience you have, to sail as a steward on a merchant vessel you may only need a food hygiene certificate and the basic STCW tickets. Huge demand for all roles as we exit lockdown and the ferries get back to normal, speak to Seamariner and look up ‘South West Maritime Academy’, both good companies who can help. The old paddle steamer Waverley needs crew for the summer as well, will keep you ticking over until you join the RFA and give you invaluable experience to put on your cv (if you need it). Good luck
Thank you very much for your help. I currently work in a secondary school kitchen. We have 1400 students, so it's a busy kitchen. I also work in the combined Cadet force at my school as a Sub Lieutenant in the Royal Navy section. I'm hoping between my 2 jobs it'll be enough to get me in the RFA.

Shipwrek

Midshipman
Hi, well what a surprise I've had this week. Instead of having to wait until November to find out if I've made it through to interview, I had an email this week confirming that I have made it through and that my interview is on August 2nd. I'm so excited, time to get studying.

Skylarker

Lantern Swinger
Hi, well what a surprise I've had this week. Instead of having to wait until November to find out if I've made it through to interview, I had an email this week confirming that I have made it through and that my interview is on August 2nd. I'm so excited, time to get studying.
Best of luck, memorise where the RFA ships are and what they do, their roles and specific jobs!

Shipwrek

Midshipman
Well I'm extremely proud to say that I passed the interview and I received my provisional offer for the role of Steward Apprentice today. I will be starting on 20th April 2022.