From Application until HMS Raleigh. RATING

Skylarker

Lantern Swinger
So i see a lot of people making posts regarding what happens next, interviews and so on, so here is a helpful (or so i hope) little post for those in the process.

Applying, i did this back in October 2019, i applied and was told i would hear back in a week or two, if memory serves me right i was almost a month before the AFCO recruiter let me know the date and time of my Psychometric test. i was informed by email through the RN's application portal.

The test itself happened a month and a week roughly after i applied, now i am aware this may be different per applicant and with what's going on with Covid.

i Never did well in school, flunked maths completely, which worried me going into the test, but between online tests and a booklet you can pick up at the AFCO i was well prepared, the test is not difficult, it is basic maths, reasoning, verbal ability and mechanical comprehension, all pretty basic stuff you would have faced throughout your school life. you arrive on time, you can wear pretty much what you desire but i chose to dress smartly, after all it is hopefully your new employer!

After the test we waited whilst the scores where totted up, the RN applicants where given theirs by the RN and the few of us for the RFA where given our results by someone from the RFA although this may not be standard practice, im not sure.
The whole thing from start to finish was friendly, professional and honestly a little nerve racking, just arrive a little early and try to relax!

It could be days or weeks but at some point RFA let you know you will be going through the sift and have to fill out two documents explaining why you want to be in the RFA and a few other things like hobbies. The sift is where your application will be viewed and it will be decided if you proceed onto the interview stage. At this point you don't have any chance to offer input or answer any questions.
If you find you have been rejected here do not lose hope, reapply, it may not be anything to do with you, it could simply be the trade you chose was at capacity and you was not needed, could be that someone with more relevant experience was selected. reapply and see how it goes!

If you pass the sift you will be invited for an interview, for me this was over Skype with a senior officer and also a senior rating who will be involved in your training down the line, plus several others observing that you will not see.
The aim of the interview is to test your knowledge, see if you have done your homework into the RFA, its history, ships, deployment locations, what you know of their work around the globe, what sort of operations they do and have done in the last few years and they will ask you about your life, hobbies and passions, education and much more.

If you are successful you will be informed about two weeks after your interview, although myself and others have been told during the interview that we did well/passed or words like that,

When you get this confirmation you then find yourself looking at a provisional offer of employment pending successful completion of all the paperwork, Security check and Vaccinations/boosters and your Medical. If like me you have a phobia of needles this is going to be a really fun time.. the paperwork, medicals, applying for SDB and other things will take time, don't panic, you will be looking at a month or so to get this stuff done, jabs even longer.

The process here is very much get your paperwork done quickly you need to apply for a Seamans Discharge Book too which you'll be sent the paperwork for in your pack this is a cost you will not receive back. you will need to get a passport and copy of your birth certificate and a Seafarers Medical (ENG1) plus you'll want to start your vaccinations as soon as you can, some of these will be free on the NHS (boosters such as your MMR and DTP) in all your jabs will come to around 400/500 quid plus blood tests too. This will be reimbursed when you provide your receipts so don't panic! (Travel to and from will not be.)

Once all your paperwork is sent in (also don't forget passport pictures!) you will be sent a link for your Security Check to be done, get this done as soon as you can, the checks can take a long long time, mine began in autumn 2020 and was not completed until spring 2021.

The security check will look into a lot of areas of your life and other things i wont mention but be aware it is going to be deep, after all you are applying for a job working with the Royal Navy. If like me your finances havent been great you'll be asked to fill in a financial questionnaire too. Be 100 HONEST any deviation from the truth will result in your application being forfeited. If for whatever reason you have to have an interview be prepared for how tough this will be.

Once you have completed this you'll be informed of the result by way of the SC portal or you'll be contacted by the RFA

At this point having successfully completed everything you will be sent a Formal Offer of employment and given further information about your next steps.

This whole process can be stressful, it can feel like time is dragging and that your application has been lost but stick with it. Joining the RFA is not an overnight success, it takes time. You need to be sure it is right for you and the RFA need to be sure youll be a fit for them. My application has taken almost a year and a half. DO NOT quit your job in anticipation, hold fast and be prepared for how long this will be, keep in mind as well that you do need to front the money for your jabs, of course if like me you left the hospitality sector when covid shut it down, money became tight and funding some of the jabs was hard because of this.

if you have any questions i can reasonably answer feel free to ask, my application was for Stwd App.

As a last little bit i want to also add how supportive the RFA are during this process, if you need help, ask them, don't be shy and don't feel like you cannot reach out, i struggled a lot trying to find a Mantoux/BCG but they pointed me in the right direction plus gave assistance sorting out a blood test too.

Goodluck with your applications.

Any edits are to remove potentially sensitive information.

Last edited:
hi, do you know what the blood tests test for? is it things like allergies or drugs? also, do you know which colleges the rfa train cadets in?

Skylarker

Lantern Swinger
hi, do you know what the blood tests test for? is it things like allergies or drugs? also, do you know which colleges the rfa train cadets in?
The blood test is simply to identify your blood group, the RFA need to see proof of this.

The Mantoux does not involve a blood test, it is simply a small test of injecting a TB reactive liquid under the skin, nothing too bad. (feels like you brushed up against a stinging nettle) If it reacts, then you've had TB and do not require a BCG, if it doesn't then you do.

If you have a Quantiferon test however you will have a blood sample to test if you CURRENTLY have TB. You will still require a Mantoux after as I found out.

bobbybrown

Lantern Swinger
The blood test is simply to identify your blood group, the RFA need to see proof of this.

The Mantoux does not involve a blood test, it is simply a small test of injecting a TB reactive liquid under the skin, nothing too bad. (feels like you brushed up against a stinging nettle) If it reacts, then you've had TB and do not require a BCG, if it doesn't then you do.

If you have a Quantiferon test however you will have a blood sample to test if you CURRENTLY have TB. You will still require a Mantoux after as I found out.
All mine was done with the blood test? I was given a sheet of A4 paper telling me I tested negative to tb and had no antibodies, my blood group is also on the same paper.
At the end of the day doctors have their own way of doing it and if they can save time if you do it (privately which I did) they do it all together.
If your doing it via your GP then yeah they may do what @Skylarker had said above.

My experience was slightly different going private for everything. (Sorry should have asked if you were private or gp)

good luck @Skylarker for your adventure to HMS Raleigh then worthydown! Let us know how you get on, bet your well excited :)

good luck lad in getting your vaccines Ect.

bobbybrown

Lantern Swinger
All mine was done with the blood test? I was given a sheet of A4 paper telling me I tested negative to tb and had no antibodies, my blood group is also on the same paper.
At the end of the day doctors have their own way of doing it and if they can save time if you do it (privately which I did) they do it all together.
If your doing it via your GP then yeah they may do what @Skylarker had said above.

My experience was slightly different going private for everything. (Sorry should have asked if you were private or gp)

good luck @Skylarker for your adventure to HMS Raleigh then worthydown! Let us know how you get on, bet your well excited :)

good luck lad in getting your vaccines Ect.
When I say all done with the blood test, @Skylarker is right with the injection they give. I had a bruise for a few days after having it, but I think the results are in the paper with the blood test if that makes sense.

Latest Threads