Frog Torpedo

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Topstop, Feb 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like he's exaggerating a bit when he says an electric torpedo permits a "totally silent attack". I mean granted, I can see it would be quieter than a turbine, but it's still going to generate a fair amount of noise right?
  2. Electric may be slightly quieter than a turbine but a turbine is faster so even if you hear it coming it's too late. I liked the bit about it being deployed by nuclear boats so must be extermely safe, does that mean conventional boats can have unsafe weapons??
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Not just conventional boats, think Kursk and Sidon. If you really want to frighten yourself read up on the Excaliber and Explorer.
  4. That was hydrogen peroxide, as you know Explorer was more commonly called Exploder. We use Otto fuel these days, nice and safe (until it leaks).
  5. Bollocks should have read all posts before posting
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

6. HAP can make life interesting too.
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Served with a Canadian gunlayer who had been on the Excaliber and have bits since, if they did high speed runs on HTP they used to have to evacuate the engineroom and then go back in and fight the fires.......'kin 'ell