Friendly Fire

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by aussiepint, Mar 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ahhh 'MOD sorry for confusion' over Matty Hull?? If I remember rightly a few weeks ago they were licking the backs of the US over not showing video of incident? Apparantly MOD are going to back coroners 'more'?? The lasting irony is that Matty Hull's widow and his family have shown more courage, grace and dignity then the MOD or Pentagon combined!!
  2. So what happens now it has been deemed that he was Killed unlawfully?Prosecution of the US Servicemen?
  3. No Andym, no prosecution action is going to be taken against the said sevicemen, as was said on the news this lunch-time. The family have also said they do not wish the Servicemen to be prosecuted.
  4. Cant believe this one...

The US State Department has rejected a coroner's conclusion that the "friendly fire" death of a British soldier in Iraq was unlawful and a criminal act. US spokesman Sean McCormack said the death was a "terrible accident".

5. Constitutional affairs minister Harriet Harman, who met with US diplomats in London ahead of the inquest, said she shared the "frustration" at their failure to send witnesses.

What is a constitutional affairs minister and do we really need one??? Where and when did that pop up!!!
  6. ...and see finknottles thread!
  7. Wholeheartedly agree with aussiepint's post. Mrs Hull as conducted herself with the utmost dignity during these proceedings I have nothing but admiration for her.
  8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I watched her last night and wondered why our elected representatives can't conduct themselves with the same dignity
  9. Agreed.

I guess these pilots won't be coming on holiday to the UK any time soon......

All very sad and as I have said elsewhere, the one organisation which has come out of this showing it's true colours has been MoD - shameful.

10. I have always wondered why it is called 'friendly fire' it is the same as 'happy slapping' and 'joy riding'. It isn't friendly to the poor bugger who is killed and the one who is slapped isn't happy and the person whose car it is isn't joyful!!
    It is about time journalists learnt to use apropriate words!
  11. Standard_Bearer and the mother of them all 'War on Terror'!

By Vanessa Allen

LANCE Corporal Matty Hull is the latest in a long line of victims of US "friendly fire", including:

December 2006: Probe into whether Jonathan Wigley, 21, of Zulu Company 45 Commando, was killed by US plane during attack on Taliban in Afghanistan.

March 2005:US soldiers in Baghdad open fire on a car with freed Italian hostage Giuliana Sgrena. Intelligence agent Nicola Calipari was killed and Giuliana wounded.

March 2003: ITN correspondent Terry Lloyd, 50, unlawfully killed by US forces after he is caught in US-Iraqi crossfire. His translator Hussein Osman and cameraman Fred Nerac also die.

April 2003: BBC reporter John Simpson sees his translator, Kamaran Muhamed, and 17 other men killed when US aircraft bomb a convoy near Mosul, Iraq.

April 2002: US fighter pilot mistakenly bombs Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan, killing four troops. Major Harry Schmidt was found guilty of dereliction of duty.

April 1994: Nato delegation of 26, including two British army officers, die when their US helicopter shot down in Iraq by US fighters.

The Daily Mirror Saturday 17th March 2007
  13. How can anyone be surprised about US blue on blue "accidents"?

Towards the end of Granby, a bunch of anti-tank aircraft took out a whole convoy on the Basra Road, the majority of whom were civilian families making good their escape from conflict. The excuse was that they were Saddam's Revolutionary Guard, or crack troops. Well, one of my family was among the first Brits to see the evidence of this particular turkey shoot and he saw many family vehicles with dead families still inside them, children and babies among these.

If you take a hick (National Guard) and give him a lethal piece of kit like an A10, give him no effective recognition training and let him loose on an "enemy", don't be surprised when he kills whoever he comes across. You have to look no further than Kent State University during the Vietnam years for proof of this.