Friday While's

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by canteenflat, Mar 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know how this came to be the name for long week-ends in the Royal Navy?

2. Wasn't when I was in.

3. 30 years plus, still serving - never heard it before. How about "extenders", now that I am familiar with:toothy4:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Are you talking about extenders?

5. I've never needed one personally as I feel that I'm big enough thank very much.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Certainly Friday While in the 60s.

7. What is the age of the OP?

8. New one on me as well.

9. I'm waiting for a WAFU to ask what a "Friday" is...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wasn't there some sort of kerfuffle with this poster under a different name? He seemed to have a problem with the amount of two and a halfs pushing desks.

Norman was his name

11. Damn, how did we let this slip through?

12. '60's my era too....but never heard of that one. Was always 'weekenders' or 'extenders' as the case may be....

13. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

We just said...'Long weekend'.

14. Long weekend as I always new it. Always got collered by MOD cops counting how many tabs I got.

15. Did get used but the preferred was LWE [long weekend ] cos thats what it said on the leave pass if you got one. Extended long weekend was Monday off aswell.
    Used to be SWE as well but they eventually just put the station cards in the seperate boxes on the gangway for weekend leaves .

G

16. Was it from post lunch on the Friday 'til pre breakfast on the Monday?

The term was officially used on Daily Orders.

17. What era? 1234567890

18. It certainly wasn't used on any Daily Orders I typed in the sixties, I've not heard it before.

19. It was used during my time. Friday while Monday. I never heard the term Nozzer or Crab. It was Od, Brylcream boy or Erk. OD is a state of mind and lifestyle that I embraced with gusto and still live up to.

20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

They hate Wednesdays, as well.

Because it messes up their weekends...