Friday 13th Tie?

HI All,
I hope this is the right place have posted in History as well.
My Father Rodney David Dyer has just pasted away. My mother has found a tie, with Friday the 13th on it. I remember him telling me a story that he was given it, after the sub he was on. On a Friday the 13th dived below the max depth? No more details that than or any idea if this is the story.
Can anyone help with details?

He join 1959 (after 3 years as a boy) left November 1970. He was on radios.
Cheers
Damien ([email protected])

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Hi Damien

Condolences for your Dad.

You might want to change your screen name and remove your email address, this site frequently gets spammers on here and some slip through the net and don't get booted off by the Mods.

On your question, going below safe depth is not as rare as you might think, considering the date of the incident is would not be unusual for someone to get a tie made (these days it would be a T shirt or hoody!)

The name of the boats he was on would be needed for any definitive answer.

Wightsparker

War Hero
I found the following using Google. The submarine HMS Seneschal was broken up in 1960; could the OP's father have served on the boat in the short time after joining the RN? If so, the boat may have had such a tie.

But exactly 2400? I would have thought 2359 or 0001.

14 Jun 1952
HMS Seneschal (Lt. Brisley) was surfacing at exactly 2400 on Friday 13th June when she was overrun by the Danish frigate Thetis. Periscopes and radar mast were damaged. The boat was tipped on its side and subsequently crash dived to the sea bed.

Waspie

War Hero
My condolences on your loss.

I might just Google and see if there is a Friday the 13th club!!

Most of my 'incidents' in helicopters occurred on Friday the 13th. In fact, the CO of 819 and myself stated we would never fly together on that date after a main gearbox failure, contact in NI and a hydraulic fire all on Friday the 13th. There were a couple more but that's just from memory!!!!

Oh yes. Shot at by the Tartar on that date during a NGS sortie. PWO(A) set the helicopter as the target and use the GTL that we passed during the fire mission report!!!!

Next stop Google!!!!!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
My condolences on your loss.

I might just Google and see if there is a Friday the 13th club!!

Most of my 'incidents' in helicopters occurred on Friday the 13th. In fact, the CO of 819 and myself stated we would never fly together on that date after a main gearbox failure, contact in NI and a hydraulic fire all on Friday the 13th. There were a couple more but that's just from memory!!!!

Oh yes. Shot at by the Tartar on that date during a NGS sortie. PWO(A) set the helicopter as the target and use the GTL that we passed during the fire mission report!!!!

Next stop Google!!!!!
I passed AC’s course on Friday 13th.

Hmmm.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
From another site, I have removed the posters name.

I was on Osiris 1st commission. We did our 1st deep dive on Friday 13th. The ship's company was asked to design a tie to commemorate the occasion. My design was selected. I've still got mine

thanks for the replys so far Gent's...
From another site, I have removed the posters name.

I was on Osiris 1st commission. We did our 1st deep dive on Friday 13th. The ship's company was asked to design a tie to commemorate the occasion. My design was selected. I've still got mine
SO Osiris was commissions Jan 64? My fathers CofS shows him at HMS Dolphin May 63-June 64 (its not easy to read) The HMS oracle from then. He was on Osiris in Feb 68 -Aug 70.
I will try and get a photo of the tie and see if they match......
Thanks again gent's.