Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs

Always_a_Civvy said:
On the whites and blues... whereas no.8s (or no.4s as they're apparently now called - very confusing) are normally worn everyday, in the past white duck suits were worn.

Here's Dondon when he joined many, many, many.... many years ago.... :wink: :lol:

Ganges_Boats2-copy.jpg

Now I just wonder where that photograph was taken? :lol: :lol: :lol:

dt018a9667 said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
On the whites and blues... whereas no.8s (or no.4s as they're apparently now called - very confusing) are normally worn everyday, in the past white duck suits were worn.

Here's Dondon when he joined many, many, many.... many years ago.... :wink: :lol:

Ganges_Boats2-copy.jpg

Now I just wonder where that photograph was taken? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that Portsmouth?

Hey Cready, when you get to Raleigh the best idea is to do the best in everything that you do, not for awards or trophies, if you do the best you can then no award can messure up to the felling you get. As an ex pongo trainee then there shoudn't be many shocks to the system for you. Bear in mind that in Raleigh you learn how to march, iron and fold kit. Usefull but not that big in the grand scheme of things. If you want top student, aim for it in your trade training. That is where you will start your proper training.

With your experiance you will more than likley be nominated as class leader. I got it due to previous service in the RM. You get gucci epuletes with a crown and a stripe and have to look after your class. Bit like squad leader in the army. If you pass out with that it makes a good impression for your next unit / training / whatever.

Best of luck to ya mate, stand by to be shocked as some of the dross you will be in a class with.

Jock

P.S I think they also do a best in PT (Phys) award too. J_O_T_S

Jock_of_the_sea said:
Hey Cready, when you get to Raleigh the best idea is to do the best in everything that you do, not for awards or trophies, if you do the best you can then no award can messure up to the felling you get. As an ex pongo trainee then there shoudn't be many shocks to the system for you. Bear in mind that in Raleigh you learn how to march, iron and fold kit. Usefull but not that big in the grand scheme of things. If you want top student, aim for it in your trade training. That is where you will start your proper training.

With your experiance you will more than likley be nominated as class leader. I got it due to previous service in the RM. You get gucci epuletes with a crown and a stripe and have to look after your class. Bit like squad leader in the army. If you pass out with that it makes a good impression for your next unit / training / whatever.

Best of luck to ya mate, stand by to be shocked as some of the dross you will be in a class with.

Jock

P.S I think they also do a best in PT (Phys) award too. J_O_T_S

Cheers for the advice mate!

Bloody hell, now that you mention it, I remember the best in PT award now!

I'm going for them all - If I don't win, at least I tried, but more importantly, I'll pass out into my trade!

I'm not after the awards to show off or to say look what I done - But more as gratitude to the Royal Navy if they let me in because I don't think I'm getting in this time! But if I do, I will be putting everything into it!

Well got a presentation to attend on Friday, it's an hour away on the bus! I have been offered lifts and company but I've told everyone 'no' as it's something I want to do myself! I want to look back and think that I've done everything all on my own!

Anyway, thanks again mate! - Gotta go walk the dog now :D

The best recruit award is called the Owen Cup, on the passing out division the person who wins it comes up to the podium and it is presented to them by either the Commodore of raleigh or a VIP who is presiding over the divisions, there is no speach or anything!
Class leader is also a really stressful experiance, mine is more or less having a right stressfull time, keeps on telling us that he doesnt want it but he so does becaus he'll go collect the Ganges Cup when we win it!!
But raleigh is a good crack, stressfull and boring as **** in the first few weeks but it does get much much better, because you get so much better at doing all the kit, my advise is just keep a low profile and dont be the gobby one beucase that just makes the DI's notice you (not in a good way) impress them with your kit attitude and everything else and you should breeze it!

J

jonny_quest said:
The best recruit award is called the Owen Cup, on the passing out division the person who wins it comes up to the podium and it is presented to them by either the Commodore of raleigh or a VIP who is presiding over the divisions, there is no speach or anything!
Class leader is also a really stressful experiance, mine is more or less having a right stressfull time, keeps on telling us that he doesnt want it but he so does becaus he'll go collect the Ganges Cup when we win it!!
But raleigh is a good crack, stressfull and boring as **** in the first few weeks but it does get much much better, because you get so much better at doing all the kit, my advise is just keep a low profile and dont be the gobby one beucase that just makes the DI's notice you (not in a good way) impress them with your kit attitude and everything else and you should breeze it!

J

Thanks for the advice mate!

I do have a general idea of basic as I did 6 weeks in the Army (Don't know if you've read)

So this time, IF I get in I'll be over-prepared - Like ironing all mum's clothing a for two months before going in, getting up at 5am every morning two months before going in, trained to be fitter and stronger than before, etc!

Latest Threads