Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs

basicly the way they look at it (this is what happened in my entry) was when you are in during the 8 weeks they look at performace how much you have improved plus if someone has had to deal with an incident like injury or death in the family.

you get what i mean they look at the whole of you 8 weeks because they have performance tropheys anyway...

ET(WE)Pooley said:
basicly the way they look at it (this is what happened in my entry) was when you are in during the 8 weeks they look at performace how much you have improved plus if someone has had to deal with an incident like injury or death in the family.

you get what i mean they look at the whole of you 8 weeks because they have performance tropheys anyway...

So basically, no matter what comes at you, you've got to be part new recruit and part god to win!? lol

ET(WE)Pooley said:
yeah thats exactly it really.

That I can handle, I'm gonna be ridiculously over-prepared this time if I get in!

Fitter than I was when I joined the Army.

I'm gonna do ALL mum's ironing two months prior to going in!

I'm gonna get up at 5am every morning 2 months prior so that when I go in, it'll be no different from any other day - Waking up wise!

I'm going for that award!

LOL hear me, I haven't even got in yet!

Downloading MSN now mate!

creddly said:
dondon said:
creddly said:
This one was never answered!

1) Does the Basic Training in the Royal Navy (8 Weeks at Raleigh) have a 'Best Recruit' award?

I think it still does , gives you that bit more to aim for , 8O

LOL You're bloody right it does and if I get in, I'll be gunning for it big time! It must be a proud feeling to pass out in front of your family, but to step up for best recruit must be an electrifying experience! Although you probably shit yourself marching alone to be presented with the award!

ET(WE)Pooley said:
and yes they have the best recruit but its not just on performance, its on everything.

I thought performance was everything?

In the Army, we were told that the winner is somebody who doesn't do the best at everything, but gives 100% at ALL times, even if they don't finish first for the mile and half for instance!

Can you please elaborate pooley?

Your advice has been brilliant so far, thank you!

You too dondon!

Your family will be so proud if you pass out as top recruit [still be proud that your passing out at all] , my Daughter passed out of Keogh Barracks over a year ago , she looked so smart , she is only a little one but looked 6 foot that day , she did'nt tell anyone except her mum [we are divorced] that she was passing out as top student , she then had to go up and give a little speech , my heart was in my mouth for her , but she did ok , I was very nearly in tears I can tell you ,
If you want it , GO FOR IT , best of luck mate , keep in touch on this site , 8)

dondon said:
creddly said:
dondon said:
creddly said:

1) Does the Basic Training in the Royal Navy (8 Weeks at Raleigh) have a 'Best Recruit' award?

LOL You're bloody right it does and if I get in, I'll be gunning for it big time! It must be a proud feeling to pass out in front of your family, but to step up for best recruit must be an electrifying experience! Although you probably shit yourself marching alone to be presented with the award!

ET(WE)Pooley said:
and yes they have the best recruit but its not just on performance, its on everything.

In the Army, we were told that the winner is somebody who doesn't do the best at everything, but gives 100% at ALL times, even if they don't finish first for the mile and half for instance!

You too dondon!

Your family will be so proud if you pass out as top recruit [still be proud that your passing out at all] , my Daughter passed out of Keogh Barracks over a year ago , she looked so smart , she is only a little one but looked 6 foot that day , she did'nt tell anyone except her mum [we are divorced] that she was passing out as top student , she then had to go up and give a little speech , my heart was in my mouth for her , but she did ok , I was very nearly in tears I can tell you ,
If you want it , GO FOR IT , best of luck mate , keep in touch on this site , 8)

Bloody hell I bet you must have been soooo proud!!!

Thanks for the kind words mate! Will try my hardest! I'm sick of not doing anything in life to make my family proud and more importantly to make me proud of myself!

Full congrats to your daughter! That must have been amazing watching that!

GAAAAASSSPPP!!! Did you say speech!?!?!?!?!?!

OMG that's the end of that dream! I'll be performing above par at best now!

OMG, speech in front of all them people! I would die of fright!

I thought you'd simply march up, have some sort of er... something pinned on you and that would be that!?

LOL nooooooooo

creddly said:
dondon said:
creddly said:
dondon said:
creddly said:

ET(WE)Pooley said:

You too dondon!

Thanks for the kind words mate! Will try my hardest! I'm sick of not doing anything in life to make my family proud and more importantly to make me proud of myself!

I thought you'd simply march up, have some sort of er... something pinned on you and that would be that!?

LOL nooooooooo

Speech was about a minute & a half , you will be ok , Raleigh will build your confidence up anyway ,

dondon said:
creddly said:
dondon said:
creddly said:
dondon said:
creddly said:

ET(WE)Pooley said:

You too dondon!

LOL nooooooooo

Speech was about a minute & a half , you will be ok , Raleigh will build your confidence up anyway ,

Yeah, and that's to say if I even win best recruit, or even if I get in!

Here's to hoping mate!!!

On the whites and blues... whereas no.8s (or no.4s as they're apparently now called - very confusing) are normally worn everyday, in the past white duck suits were worn.

Here's Dondon when he joined many, many, many.... many years ago.... :wink: :lol:

Ganges_Boats2-copy.jpg

Always_a_Civvy said:
On the whites and blues... whereas no.8s (or no.4s as they're apparently now called - very confusing) are normally worn everyday, in the past white duck suits were worn.

Here's Dondon when he joined many, many, many.... many years ago.... :wink: :lol:

Ganges_Boats2-copy.jpg

Ahh the memories , I'm the one on the far left , remember it well "AAC" :? 8)

And here's me (in khaki ovvies) posing as a straight with a couple of nice young lasses... (eat your heart out Higgy!) :lol: Just remember Creddly, you'll also be competing against the lasses! :)

ROC_AAC_Post.jpg

slim said:
Maxi_77 said:
slim said:
OK blue uniform is worn when in UK and other cooler countries. Whites are worn when in the troipics (Hot countries).

In the old days in intermediate climates one wore half blues, ie blue on the bottom and white on the top.

I think in my day this was referred to as Red Sea rig and was worn in the mess as evening wear. Officers also wore a cummer band. As far as I am aware its still the norm today

Red Sea Rig was tropical white shirt and 'blue' trousers and was as you say used as a les formal evening wear.

Half blues was blue rig without the jacket/jumper

Peter

The far right girl looks like a smart piece!

NO FRATERNIZING!!!

Lol look at the date... 1987!

I was a mere 1 year old baby then!

I don't look on it as though I'll be competing against lasses mate, I look on it as though I'll be competing against EVERY recruit!

That's why, if I pass, I'll be over-the-top prepared for training!!!

I will want to go into training so that everything they throw at me will be simply shrugged off!!!

Latest Threads