Frequency of Updates to Medical Criteria

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Constantine, Apr 12, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good afternoon all,

I posted on here a number of years ago with a few questions regarding the recruitment process. I, unfortunately, failed my medical due to the preoperative error in my eyes being too poor to pass, despite having had successful laser eye surgery. Anyway, I cracked on finished uni and got a job, but still keep an eye out for any potential updates to this policy.

As far as I can tell (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the most recent updates to medical standards for entry are from JSP 950, which came out in 2013. I would still be interested in joining the RNR if the standards regarding eye surgery were ever updated.

Would any old hands be able to give a vague indication of how often these sorts of standards are looked over and updated? I've been poking my head into the MOD files once every three months or so, although that might be wildly optimistic.

Thanks a lot, Constantine.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not aware of any recent changes with regard the pre-operative prescription being inside the accepted visual acuity standards, changes to types of accepted surgery or age parameters in this area, unfortunately.

I'll certainly check to see if there are any updates but it may be worth calling your AFCO to enquire also.

Either way, good luck.
  3. Thanks, Ninja_Stoker. It's not an urgent issue, I'd just like the chance to do my bit! I lost contact with my AFLO a while ago, he was sympathetic to my situation but obviously not a lot he could do. I'll bring it up with him again though. Personally, it's obviously slightly frustrating, but rules are rules.

Thanks a lot, Constantine.
  4. Ring Ring... Good morning AFCO.......... Ninja Stoker speaking, how can I help you.

Can you tell me if there have been any changes to the VA standards and types of accepted surgery or age parameters recently.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. I'm aware there have been no recent changes, I was more asking how often medical standards for entry tend to be updated in a general, historical sense.