French Commandos seize Somali Pirates

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Naval_Gazer, Apr 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Much as it pains me, I have to admire the French for this audacious action reported in today's DT (link). Would we do the same and does anyone know what happened to the yacht?

2. Rusting in Leith docks I believe.

3. We must be on the same wavelength NG. When I first heard about this one I thought exactly the same thing. Once upon a time perhaps but I suspect we would be required to worry more about infringing the inherrent rights of the pirates to rape, steal and pillage rather than saving the lives of law abiding tax payers.

SF

4. Broon would apologize to the Pirates for upsetting them with a blatant exhibition of wealth off impoverished Africa by the yacht.

5. Not to mention offering them an all expenses paid holiday in Costa Del Britain with free house and benefits.

SF

6. Not knowing much about the French military, are these "commandos" the equivalant of our Marines, or are they "Special Forces" ?

7. GIGN - SAS/SBS types

8. Of course if it's in the Torygraph it must be true. :roll:

9. Naval_Gazer, Reuters please.

10. It really is heartbreaking that our government hasn't got the balls to carry out an operation like this. I feel for the ships companies of the RN ships in the area who have had their hands tied by this. Perhaps they should just get on with it and plead self defence!!!.

H1