Freemasons in the RN

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Jimmy_Green, Jul 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, but I’m interested

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, and I’m not interested

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, and I know fcuk all about it and I’m going to prove it by talking utter bollocks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Having read a similar thread on ARRSE I was wondering how many serving members of the RN/RM are ‘on the square’ and prepared to come out of the ‘cleaning gear locker’ and admit it. The British military were responsible for much of the spread of freemasonry around the world and so it is no small wonder to find a fair number of masons currently within the armed forces, although it appears that fewer people are interested these days, or at least, are prepared to say so.

I’ve never hidden my involvement with the Craft and listed freemasonry in my profile interests since I first joined RR.

I’m hoping to avoid the vitriol and abuse that the same thing generated on ARRSE, mainly by people who have absolutely no idea what Freemasonry is about and just showed their general ignorance by gobbing off and talking a load of shite about things they clearly had no knowledge of. You will probably be aware of the typical conspiracy theories surrounding freemasons supposedly ruling the world, and how if you are mason you will receive preferential treatment over others. All a load of bollocks so don’t go down that road.

Many people accuse freemasonry of being a secret society. It’s not. If it was it would be the worst kept secret ever, especially as The United Grand Lodge of England has its own website, in which it details all the lodges in England and Wales and those overseas under its jurisdiction.

http://www.grandlodge-england.org/

Likewise for those north of the border, the Grand Lodge of Scotland also has its own website.

http://www.grandlodgescotland.com/

And for a bit of further reading…

http://www.oelodge.uklinux.net/history.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/14/nmasons14.xml

This thread is principally aimed at those that are still serving in the Royal Navy and Royal Marines (sorry civvies) although I'd be interested in comments from ex-matelots that are masons. Brethren from the other services are also more than welcome to contribute.

2. Then why not have the "choice" as part of the poll?

Yes, ex pusser, yes, on the square.

3. No i'm not but i've met a few that are on the square.
    My dad and lots of his friends (all Cab drivers funnily enough :) ) have been trying for years to introduce me, one day soon I will make the right choice but as I live in Plymouth and my family are all in London i've put it off, but only because I want my dad to take me to HIS lodge and not do it with a letter of introduction, if you see what I mean :)

4. Possibly I could have included ex-RN in the poll but I was really thinking about those that are currently serving, though your comments are more than welcome. =)

5. Never practised the craft myself. However for those in the Masons I do have a small garden wall requiring attention and would be only too willing to let those members interesting in the physical aspects of the craft have a go at repairing it.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So long as you don't practice or hold meetings in/on MOD property, then I'm not interested. It is a private interest, much like train spotting, and not relevant to RN life, so if matelots are Masons, then so be it. I don't care. :roll:

7. Ex regular, now reservist and I've been on the square nearly thirteen years now.

Again I've never hidden my membership but I don't broadcast it. I had one CO who gave me a pretty challenging time over it but he and I didn't get on over a number of things and it was just one more topic for him to bang on about, and get ignored over.

For me, it's given me a social circle away from the RN; my London lodge membership includes a couple of lawyers, film producer, headhunter, company secretary, couple of journalists, author etc.

Of course one of the big benefits is weekend use of the black helicopters..... ;)

8. Same could be said for Car Club/ Motorcycle Club/Computer Club etc etc blah blah :roll:

9. sgtpepperband

Exactly... "We're in the RN Motorcycle Club, and we get time off from work every year to ride round establishments to collect money for charity. Give us yer change, or I'll get sarcastic and make you feel inadequate...". Woop de farkin' doo... 8O

10. I thought that DCI had been rescinded, not that it meant anything anyway since there were no Lodges that it affected.

Of course a lodge holding a ladies night or suchlike and paying the appropriate fees wouldn't have any problem.

11. And don't forget the goats... :biggrin:

12. sgtpepperband

We call 'em Wrens, not goats, round this way... :lol:

13. Masons in the RN? How did you find out? Who blabbed?

14. sgtpepperband

Wasn't me - it was like that when I got here! 8O

15. Who were you talking to? The Chief or the Right Worshipful Master (at-Arms)?

16. Ye hear there....The CanMan has everything....nothing has ran out.....it's fully stocked.

17. sgtpepperband

Perhaps this should've been in the "Things you never hear at sea..." thread?! :?

18. B*ggerf*ckeration.....you are spot on.......I was getting too emotive on the Uniform thread I didn't pay attention. Apologies to all.

19. Free! Free! who the hell said free? you pay like the rest!

20. There's some pretty illustrious forebears for naval masons. One lodge alone (Navy Lodge 2612) has had Kings, Princes and polar explorers (Scott of the Antarctic and Shackleton). Prince Philip is still a subscribing member, albeit as a first degree, and although I don't know if any senior officers are masons, there's a lot of London-based ex-naval types there.

There used to be a very grand (with a small g) lodge in Portsmouth (Phoenix 257) that was reputed to have initiated Nelson, and for years was the premier naval lodge, but not sure what happened to it. None of my naval friends who are masons know anyone in it anymore, which seems a shame.

And, no, I'm not a mason. I could quote Groucho Marx, but the simple truth is that I find it fascinating as an amateur naval historian, but not exactly compelling as a fairly stressed officer!