Free WiFi Internet Access

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Jimmy_Green, Feb 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Too true, costs very little and brings in visitors to the town

2. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

You get free wirless broadband in the Wardroom at Collingwood. About time to.

3. What about the ratings?

4. as guns says you get wifi in the wardroom so who cares about the ratings.

come on slim how long have you been in.

we enquired about having an internet computer installed in the SR mess at Sultan before - still waiting

5. Maybe the mob should provide free WiFi access in all its new accommodation, whether rating or orificer.

6. Presumably funded by the mess, rather than publically?

Or did some clown order broadband to his/ her cabin and then leave the wireless base station without security ;)

7. The new JRs accommodation at Nelson has broadband, but they still have to pay for an account. Now, perhaps they should have thought about WiFi when they were building?

8. I was in for 22 years, been out for 21.5
    When I was in we got our messeges by way of an od on a pussers red :smile:

9. od?

sorry sprog of 16 years

10. That bastard's still in and he's the one that delivers my pay statement. :sad:

11. Young sprog AB
    Looks like Naval speak has gone through some changes.

12. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

There's a wifi network in the SR's mess.

13. This is definitely not fair. What about the JRs and the guys living in married quarters?

14. the_matelot

Eh? How is it not fair?

People in married quarters can get their own broadband, be it wired or wireless.

As for JR's, those people who have got their own cabins can get a BT line installed and get a contract. All others haved dipped out and I agree that it is shite.

15. Their own cabin as a JR, What is the RN coming to. At Daedalus and Fulmer POs were 4 to a cabin. CPOs had a cabin to themselves but it was smaller than a prison cell.

16. the_matelot

That's progress for you. Do you really believe that the RN should stay in archaic ways such as Rapid Block in HMS Dolphin???

I think JR's having their own cabins is both good and bad. Good in that they're allowed privacy that they should be expected shoreside and bad in that it dissolves the ethos of messdeck life.

17. No I was taking the p!ss.
    I firmly believe that of the three services the RN should have the finest accommodation. The RN after all is the service which has possibly the worst accommodation while embarked, thought the army coma a close second. However it seems that for some reason the RAF seems to get preference. In this day though I know that many choose to live ashore in rented housing (happened while I was in) so as not to be tied by the RNs petty rules. In the 70s while serving on 809 at RAF Honington senior NCOs where permitted to keep alcoholic drinks of any type in their rooms. Junior ranks were allowed Beer. At no time was this privilege abused (everyone turned up for work sober). When returning to RN accommodation we had to revert back to an alcohol free zone.
    Times are changing and hopefully for the better.