free time onboard ship

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Matty44, Jul 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonderd whether during your free time onboard, are you allowd on to the deck area?
  2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Quick name change,

Yes, most people take their fishing rods and fish off the side.
  3. :D :lol: :D sorry but i had to laugh,
  4. Sorry about that,In general yes you are allowed up on deck,depends somtimes due to if its bad weather or flight ops,i am sure some one from the modern Navy will gen you up more than i can, :wink:
  5. Depends what depth your at 8O
  6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes you can, there are restrictions aft whilst flying, whole upper deck out of bounds during live gunnery or extreme weather. Also, many people do fish on the upperdeck (at anchor, buoys or stopped in water) we had 'kin hundreds of people trying to catch an oceanic white tip shark that was circling the ship at our last hands to bathe in the Caribeann.
  7. I cannot believe that of all the general service experience available on this site no one has mentioned having to have the obligatory upper deck/sun deck pass. I bought a season ticket from Rumrat at a knockdown price, because the ship was halfway through the commission :wink:
  8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Sorry, we take it as a given. :wink:
  9. Depends if you are going in as a Wafu. If so you will be sick to death of the outdoors and will spend most of your free time and a large majority of your on watch time in your pit!!!!
  10. awesom, catch a big nice cod and give it to chef to cook :D
  11. how much free time do you get when onboard ship? I take it it changes between branch but whats the average?? Also how much time do you get off ship when docked overseas??
  12. your free time equates roughly to the length of a piece of string, regardless of job, same with the amount of time ashore when foreign.

there is no answer to your question other than "often more than none".
  13. Length of a piece of string is twice the distance from its middle to the end :D
  14. I take my RC helocorpter an buzz the brigde. it makes the Jimmy larf like a donckey, LOL
  15. Never caught any cod, did get a few crabs,... but thats a different story 8O :D