Free running/Parcour latest training method.

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by NZ_Bootneck, Jan 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Found this posted on our sister site ARRSE.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,,2239647,00.html
    Basically the PTIs are investigating if the latest 'Street Sport" would be useful as a training tool for RM.
    Anything rather than another 10 miler and you get to have a cool street cred name, hmm mine would have to be 'My knees are fecked!!, has a certain ring to it. :w00t:
    NZB

2. My challenge would be "See how far you can run before I riddle you with 5.56mm!"

3. A really good idea I think, It's a good advancement to keep RM training way ahead of the Army in terms of you gotta have bollocks. Maybe the PT branch got bored with Vaulting and rope climbs alone. Intoduce this to CTCRM and keep the Corps at the cutting edge. Introduce this to the units and expect a few broken Bootnecks :thumright:

4. This is not as stupid as it first seems. The Parkour boys are fcuking fit.Who says the youth of today are all fat useless drug dealers? I was amazed after checking it out on You Tube. The sport has been used to great effect in movie stunts. With a bit of forward thinking, which it appears is happening in this case it could be adapted for military use.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Bumpety-bump.

Have to say I was rather impressed by this Parcour malarkey!

This will be an interesting one to follow.

6. It was invented because they needed a fancy way of running from the coppers. Dont know if its good for the RM because with an assault rifle and all the other gear. it might just turn out to be painful.

7. Good fun though.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm not sure whether its use in combat is a practical consideration, however, as has been stated you have to be fit. By happy co-incidence the Royal Marines seek, amongst other attributes, fit young men.

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...so does Thingy! 8O :wink:

10. I was reading an article on this not long ago about how the US navy SEAL's have taken elements of parcour for urban warfare, you don't do all of the fancy shit but some of it improves movement and speed even with gear on.