Free driving test and licence as a recruitment tool

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by copenhagencup, Jun 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a short term incentive to fill undermanned branches why does the RN not offer free driving lessons test and licence to required branches on completion of trade training, this would surely increase the available pool from the obviously hard pressed AFCO staff to get us (in my case AET`s) to join up.

1. Agree to proposition.
    2. Promote the offer.
    3. Utilise the ratings standard learning credits as a contribution.
    4. Hey, we have a happier better trained workforce, **** me that's Investors in People sorted this year.

2. And put those with driving licenses at a disadvantage?
    or do you propose to give them something else?

3. Nope **** all. Everybody dips in some more than others.

4. Pusser offered me a Life of Adventure and a time of a Life time visiting all manner of Exotic places in the World!!!!

What did i get?Haslar and HMS Mercury Sickbay!!!!!!So it worked for me!

5. Don't think they even offer that these days Andy

6. Nope Haslar and Mercs are both shut!

7. Yeah, and the rest of 'em mate.
    Not much left i'm afraid :(

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Personally I think CopenhagenCup has an excellent idea, in principle, with regard recruiting incentives for shortage categories.

AET, (one of the highest RT scores required to enter), normally a problem area because of the required score, doesn't currently have a problem - there's over a 6 month's wait to enter at the moment - oddly!

But for shortage category branches, it may well be an incentive- were it not for the fact that we would be accused of recruiting people under false pretences.

I honestly don't know the correct answer, but I certainly know the problem with regard recruiting.

9. Its all very well throwing stuff at them to get them in the door, but as soon as the reality hits, they'll be straight back out again, just as they are today.

10. Why not throw in a free iPod too and some fashionable trainers too.

SF

11. And a Natty Suit.

12. Obviously!! How rude of me to forget the suit. I assume Burberry would be acceptable?

SF

13. are you forgetting the complementary bottle of cider?

14. Ninja_Stoker

Oooh, best not mention the cider!

You may upset the minorities!

15. Ninja stoker wrote.

AET, (one of the highest RT scores required to enter), normally a problem area because of the required score, doesn't currently have a problem - there's over a 6 month's wait to enter at the moment - oddly!

Ninja I find this grossly disturbing with the Agusta Westlands Forward (AKA Fleet Air Arm) heavily bolstered by the RAF. In my last draft all bar 1, 7 out of 8 were back filled the RAF SAC`s with an extension of the loan agreement that buys us some more time for recruitment. or of course the option of further civilization, and more of seriously flawed LEAN Depth pulse lines.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Interesting point CC, up until recently (about Feb 07), AET was viewed as a "shortage category" & we were told to give this trade priority.

The main reason we weren't getting sufficient numbers was because not enough people were passing the recruiting test as it stood. The further mathematics test for AETs (same as the old Tiff one) was dropped, but the basic recruiting test score remained the same.

Recruiting numbers were further bolstered as the RAF "open & close" trades to recruiting & suddenly pulled the carpet out from under the feet of their version of AETs who were waiting to join - we swept up quite a few & put them in the RN as AETs.

I can only assume that if, front line, you are experiencing manpower shortages, then they must have reduced the amount of courses available or decided on a manpower cut by reducing the amount of AET intakes.

Similarly, I was gobsmacked to hear AETs are on the lower pay banding, unlike their RAF counterparts - doubtless this will have an effect on retention until some chinless wonder at MOD revises their pay scales.

17. So AET don't get paid as much as they should? Never mind I'm not joining for the money. :thumright:
    Neither to learn to drive for free if they did that.:lol: