France submarine service pension incentive

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Greenie_877, Oct 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While in France a few years ago we heard that their submariners receive doubble the pension for serving on board submarines. Can anyone shed any light to this I would love a reference if it is true. I have noticed that the RAN has moved submarine pay Q&S to the base pay this allows them to build up there superannuation. Sounds like a good idea to me. But I would still like to know more about what France and other countrys are doing.

2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Why don't you tell us as you've been talking to French boat people.......?
  3. Ah see your not paying attention to detail. We heard... Now I am talking a long time ago now say 1996 maybe when Okanagan was in Breast France and not being a French speaker myself I didn't talk to any French submariners but some of the guys did. Hence as I said "we heard" My understanding is that when they are posted to a sea going submarine they would receive twice the normal rate of pension. Here in Canada that would be 2% per year. When a Canadian serves his 20 years he is can get a 40% pension based on his best 5 years. The pension will increase until the member reaches 35 years which would be 70%.

My interest is in an effort to find methods to retain and recruit submariners here in Canada, so I am collecting information. I have found the new pay reform and retention & recruitment policy's of the RAN most interesting.

Greenie out
  4. While RAN SM allowance may now be included in salary for pension purposes (I am not sure if this is actually the case) it will have little effect on present day manpower issues as anyone who joined the RAN after 1985 is not entitled to a pension after completing 20 years service, they must wait until, I think, age 55.

I was pissed off to **** as my discharge approached to discover that SM allowance was exactly that, an allowance and not part of my salary for pension purposes. :threaten: