Foundation Degrees in the Royal Navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ash Rich, Jun 8, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Would it be possible for someone to clear up the opportunities regarding gaining foundation degrees as a rating within the Royal Navy?

After much searching the only info I can find is, and I quote: "You will gain National Vocational Qualifications as you progress through each stage of your early career and will have the opportunity to gain a Foundation Degree."

Do you think someone could elaborate on this and shed some light what degree qualification they might be referring to for either Aircraft Engineering Technician or Marine Engineering Technician.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally speaking the Foundation Degree can currently be earned as part of the Petty Officer Qualifying Course - in other words you need to have served somewhere around 6-8 years and have been promoted twice and successfully completed the professional qualifying courses at each rate. Assuming you can reach the required academic standard, you then have the opportunity to top-up to a full degree via distance learning through the enhanced learning credit scheme:

The advantage is you earn a qualification whilst earning a wage, without incurring a student debt, but the disadvantage is you have to make the time and invest the effort - it isn't a quick freebie.
  3. Thanks, Ninja.

Much appreciated. If i could, are the foundation degrees trade specific or are they a general managerial/leadership type qualifications? If that makes sense.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Only technical branches offer foundation degrees as part of your branch training. You can undertake further education in a subject of your choice through the OU, if academically eligible, again through the ELC scheme.
  5. Be warned Distance learning is not easy either, trying to study for a degree whilst in full time employment, plus your mates go on a run ashore and you go to your books? Takes commitment, again many that do this wait a few years to get all the RN training out of the way first. When I spoke to some real students, those with no jobs, they were in shock that anyone would do a degree whilst in full time work, I have done 2 OU whilst in the Mob and distance learning from London Uni as a civy, I was working away from home so gave me time in the evenings.
  6. Yeah, I can well imagine it takes some discipline!

Fortunately, I think I spent the majority of my rowdiness in the Army. This time it's all about bettering myself and actually learning something!