Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foundation Degrees in the Royal Navy

Ash Rich

Would it be possible for someone to clear up the opportunities regarding gaining foundation degrees as a rating within the Royal Navy?

After much searching the only info I can find is, and I quote: "You will gain National Vocational Qualifications as you progress through each stage of your early career and will have the opportunity to gain a Foundation Degree."

Do you think someone could elaborate on this and shed some light what degree qualification they might be referring to for either Aircraft Engineering Technician or Marine Engineering Technician.

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Generally speaking the Foundation Degree can currently be earned as part of the Petty Officer Qualifying Course - in other words you need to have served somewhere around 6-8 years and have been promoted twice and successfully completed the professional qualifying courses at each rate. Assuming you can reach the required academic standard, you then have the opportunity to top-up to a full degree via distance learning through the enhanced learning credit scheme: http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/

The advantage is you earn a qualification whilst earning a wage, without incurring a student debt, but the disadvantage is you have to make the time and invest the effort - it isn't a quick freebie.

Ash Rich

Thanks, Ninja.

Much appreciated. If i could, are the foundation degrees trade specific or are they a general managerial/leadership type qualifications? If that makes sense.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks, Ninja.

Much appreciated. If i could, are the foundation degrees trade specific or are they a general managerial/leadership type qualifications? If that makes sense.
Only technical branches offer foundation degrees as part of your branch training. You can undertake further education in a subject of your choice through the OU, if academically eligible, again through the ELC scheme.

Sumo

War Hero
Only technical branches offer foundation degrees as part of your branch training. You can undertake further education in a subject of your choice through the OU, if academically eligible, again through the ELC scheme.

Be warned Distance learning is not easy either, trying to study for a degree whilst in full time employment, plus your mates go on a run ashore and you go to your books? Takes commitment, again many that do this wait a few years to get all the RN training out of the way first. When I spoke to some real students, those with no jobs, they were in shock that anyone would do a degree whilst in full time work, I have done 2 OU whilst in the Mob and distance learning from London Uni as a civy, I was working away from home so gave me time in the evenings.

Ash Rich

Yeah, I can well imagine it takes some discipline!

Fortunately, I think I spent the majority of my rowdiness in the Army. This time it's all about bettering myself and actually learning something!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Cost of self funded foundation degree? (Warfare) UPO/Careers Office 1
MoD_RSS Investing in foundation industries: help to back innovators MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator finds mismanagement at Revelation Foundation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Science Minister at the Foundation for Science and Technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Comic Relief, Greggs Foundation and Global's Make Some Noise to benefit from major coronavirus charity match-funding scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity regulator appoints interim manager to Islamic Research Foundation International MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Schools begin teaching reformed Early Years Foundation Stage MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Communities Secretary announces new members of the UK Holocaust Memorial Foundation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foundation industries: building a resilient recovery: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary FE speech with Social Market Foundation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity watchdog opens inquiry into Islamic Research Foundation International MoD News 0
R Officer entry, bad A levels but have a foundation degree Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
MoD_RSS Government to provide £1M funding to the Auschwitzs-Birkenau Foundation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transforming foundation industries: apply for a fast start project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Charity Inquiry: Human Care Hands Foundation UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid partners with Gates Foundation to tackle global food insecurity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Grants awarded from £1.6m partnership between government and Co-op Foundation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to look at the safer, effective use of medicines during pregnancy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Providing a foundation for change in Turkmenistan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Philip Hammond's speech at the Resolution Foundation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Deputy High Commissioner Tom Hartley's Speech at the MOU Signing between British Council and the Otumfuo Osei Tutu II Foundation MoD News 0
Spiced Buoy Potential Foundation Degree Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Mayor and Chair: HS2 foundation stone for northern rail MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: International law is the very foundation of peace and security: Harriet Baldwin's UN Security Council statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ministry of Defence and Royal Foundation launch new partnership to improve... MoD News 0
BFRS MoR Management of Risk 5 days Foundation & Practitioner The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
M Foundation Degree? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
BFRS ITIL® Foundation in IT Service Management The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS PRINCE2® Foundation and Practitioner The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS ITIL® Foundation in IT Service Management The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS HMS Victory 1744 - a rare gift to Foundation Current Affairs 0
Welshy Welsh Warrior Richard Hunt Foundation Festival Charity 1
B The British Forces Foundation would like to know Current Affairs 0
D MTO Foundation course Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
D Angel Covers Foundation Charity 0
MoD_RSS News story: Education Secretary calls for an end to low value degrees MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Accelerated degrees approved by MPs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government boosts student choice with two-year degrees MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: 65 Degrees North team praised by Chancellor MoD News 0
soleil YouTube: "HMS Argyll Turns Through 180 Degrees, Wapping, London" The Fleet 16
T Logistics Officer Degrees/Quals Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R In service degrees? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
P In-service degrees/training opps; hello! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B royal fleet auxiliary training Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Sir Mark Walport as the Royal Society’s Trustee for the British Museum. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statutory Instrument on Royal Navy Police enforcement powers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Private International Law Bill gains Royal Assent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red letter day for Royal Navy in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warships monitor significant Russian presence close to UK waters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Security Minister speech to the Royal United Services Institute MoD News 0