Foundation Degree?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Marshmallow, Apr 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently applying as a warfare officer (I have my Sift interview tomorrow!), but I just got off the phone from my ACLO and he said I need to decide before AIB, whether I am going for a direct entrant place or a bursary. We are going to talk about it tomorrow after my interview but i wanted to get your thoughts on this...

Has anyone completed the foundation degree in Naval Studies for Warfare applicants?
    How long does this take to complete?
    And can you top it up with courses you do in the Navy in conjunction with the Open University?

Any replies would be appreciated!
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I suspect someone's got their wires crossed,somewhere.

If you want to join after A levels (before uni) as a Naval College Entrant, you can earn a foundation degree in Warfare studies whilst undertaking Warfare Officer training (without any uni attendance) and "top up" to a full degree in your own spare time through distance learning.

If you want to join as a Bursar, you need the minimum 5 GCSEs and at least 240 UCAS points. You then proceed as any other officer applicant and if you pass AIB at a high enough level, you'll be awarded a Bursary to then go to university to study a random degree and get £1500 per year off the Navy whilst doing so and be an affiliate member of a local URNU whilst at Uni, if there is one locally. you then join the RN after graduating or repay the "wonga".

If you want to get a degree first, then join after uni, you join as a Direct Graduate Entrant - same pay, same seniority, same promotion as a non-graduate.
  3. Thanks Ninja for clearing that up,

But for the foundation degree, is it something you gain without doing extra work or investing extra time whilst at BRNC or would it take me longer to complete training if I did the foundation degree?
  4. No extra work. You'll get it at the end of about two years (i.e. more training than just your time at BRNC) if you don't already have a degree. If you do a degree first, you have to pay for it.

I'd do a degree if I were you, but if you want to read more about the scheme, just google "f3 foundation for the future royal navy" and you'll find it.
  5. Thanks Jellicoe, that was exactly what I was looking for! If you 'top up' your foundation degree to the full honours degree in Defense Studies do you do that whilst your training or do you take a couple of yeard out and do the degree at Plymouth uni?
    (Sorry for all the questions!)
  6. You're clearly quite the optimist - there are people who do degrees in service but not doing this sort of thing. You'd do the additional modules by distance learning, though you could get some study leave if your unit were willing to release you.

As far as I'm aware it's also Maritime Studies rather than Defence Studies i.e. METOC/environmental, though if your AFCO has told you otherwise they are much better placed to comment.

P.S. I was a bursar but I was also offered a place directly after school after my AIB if I wanted. I don't know if anything's changed since then but they definitely didn't make me choose pre-AIB. Maybe double-check that?
  7. Thanks mate, and I would rather get one without having to take time out! The website and that link say two different things: Maritime or Defence Studies! Yeah that's the situation I would like to be in.. but my ACLO told me that it has changed and you now have to state before AIB if you're going for direct entrant or bursar entrant!
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It isn't really a change, to be honest, it just means a Bursar doesn't physically join the Navy for at least 3 years, whereas a direct entrant, as the name implies, is going to join within 12 months after passing AIB (if he passes at a high enough level to be selected).
  9. Sorry
    But I have bitten.
    Is this really the standard of entrant we are recruiting as RN Occifers thee days?
    His question has been answered several times yet he still cannot understand the answer.
    Now I am ex lower deck and understood from the first reply.
    1. On completion of the Warfare Studies course a Foundation degree is awarded.
    2. To convert this into a Degree then further educational courses need to be completed (in your own time)
    3. The RN will not give you two years leave to attend a University to complete your degree.
  10. I was only asking a few questions regarding the foundation degree, as it only has a paragraph about it on the website! And I didn't expect to have 2 years to attend university, as stated previously I wouldn't want to take time out of my Royal Navy career. (I would rather complete it in my spare time!)

And it's unfair to assume that, because I didn't understand one part of the process, I am of a lower standard than others! (btw I just passed my Sift interview!)