Found in Oxfam bookshop today

Discussion in 'History' started by shellbackmac, Oct 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was passing through Stirling this lunchtime and stuck my head in the Oxfam bookshop, was surprised to find a five volume mint condition set of books entitled 'Britain at War - The Royal Navy' each volume is bound in blue leather with gold leafing, at least 300 pages thick and every page is illustrated with photos the vast majority of which, at a casual flick through, I haven't seen before. Each one covers a 14 month period from 39-45. They are signed inside and were presumably owned by a 'Lieutenant Alisdair Watson RNVR' and the first volume has a pencilled date under his signature of 23/3/43. The author is CDR Kenneth Edwards RN and they are published by Hutchinson & Co. Payed 60 quid for them which I think is a bargain, haven't searched on the net yet but they have to be seen to be believed. Just a pity I cant show them to any of the history buffs on the forum as they are tremendous. Will attempt to scan some of the photos later, litteraly thousands of them to look at, as I know how well these old phots go down with lots of members. Just about to settle in with a beer and get reading..........

2. I think this is the author:
    Edward Keble Chatterton, born in 1878, was a prolific writer, mainly on maritime and naval themes . Before his death in 1944, Chatterton authored around one hundred books, pamphlets and magazine series.

Born in Sheffield, England, he attended St Paul's School, then located in Hammersmith, London. He took a B.A. at Oxford before beginning to write theatre and art reviews for various magazines. In 1905, he edited "The Lady's Realm" for a number of issues.

He undertook a number of small-boat voyages through the Netherlands - out of which came [magazine articles] and books on voyaging and several books on the maritime art collections of the Low Countries.

3. Thanks for the info Spearfish, have worked my way through a couple of them and lots of decent pics of boats and submariners , interestingly all ships are referred to by name whilst every picture of a boat is referred to as 'one of our submarines' or 'HM Submarine'. wartime censor still at work!

4. You obviously have golden bollocks and I'm quite frankly jealous, love those sort of books. It's always something I receive at Christmas.

I have about 30 mins worth of 8mm movie that I took on a Glamorgan deployment and shows the fleets exit from Singapore with Eagle and others I can't remember.

I have put it on dvd by projecting it onto a white sheet hung on the wall and filming it with a digital camera. The results were better than I ever expected.

If anyone would be interested in watching this bit of history then I will be happy to take it to a shop and have it professionally transfered to dvd.

5. Shellback, I am going to have to stop giving you make and mends!!! :thumright:

6. I think my father had the same books but ditched them when our family emigrated to the States in the mid-1960s. In some subliminal way, reading them may well have been responsible for me returning to join the RN a few years later.

7. .-. .-.-. !

8. A man after my own heart,I also do the same.
    My most recent purchases are Britains Glorious Navy edited by Adm Sir Reginald H S Bacon and tells of the Royal Navy up towards the end of Dunkirk and Graf Spee sinking.
    The others are Ready For Sea by H K Oram of Thetis fame but mainly about his early service and the last one is Maid Matelot by Rozelle Raynes a Wren during the war.
    Very interesting account of her service on small boats etc.
    Oxfam and such like are an excellent source for interesting history books etc.

9. i also dabble, get mine off ebay. so far,
    janes fighting ships 1965 - 1966 = £15.00
    janes fighting ships 1978 - 1979 = £11.00
    janes fighting ship recognition handbook 1994 =£1.40
    british warships and auxilliaries 1981 = 99p
    janes submarines, war beneath the waves 1776 - nukes = £5.99
    and still browsing

10. E-bay is definately the place for old books ---- only thing is the postage cost for the Janes sized books!! Almost got a set from 1950---1995-6 with four year intervals. Conways books are OK aswell. All cheap and excellent condition .

I even have a 1914 book on Submarines written by a Marine Engineer--its
    been censored by Admiralty!! Good read though and a 1914 Torpedo Drill book[early BR printed by Admiralty]

The books mentioned dated WW2 they are mostly printed with a lot of
    censorship and usually using the information that the 'information office '
    gave out . Books written after 1950 are sometimes better .

:nemo: :nemo:

11. One book I used to read over and over as a lad was 'The Wings Of The Morning' by Ian Cameron which is a history of the WAFU's in WW11, drove past my old school in Dunblane a few years ago and popped in with the express purpose of going to the school library and stealing it if it was still there......had a rush of guilt and joined the old boys association instead! Its available but pricey on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wings-morni...305440?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191750876&sr=1-19

12. the book on british warships and auxiliaries dated 1982. the then owner has neatly handwritten a list of all naval and merchant ships that went to the falklands and a casualty list of said ships. obviously an enthusiast at the time