Fort Hood Shootings - Quick Call A Spin-Doctor!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Bergen, Nov 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks like the media fell for the Pentanglegon's spin about the Fort Hood shootings hook, line and sinker.

The account sounded decidedly dodgy to me from the get-go, just like the fabricated Jessica Lynch tale of derring-do.

Turns out that the brave female cop Kimberly Munley didn't "Run towards the sound of gunfire, bring down the gunman and end it" [original headlines]. Major Hasan had actually shot her and put her out of action and then re-loaded when Senior Sergeant Mark Todd arrived on the scene.

Todd shot Hasan four times and then kicked Hasan's gun out of his hand after he had gone down.

Why the spin? Was it because a junior, petite, white female shooting a mad Mooslem played so much better to Middle America than an ethnic minority, veteran, large, black male [who bears a resemblance to Barack Obama]?

My money is on the reports of Hasan crying out "Allahu Akbar" being just as false as the rest of the spin.

2. Bergs, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

You party pooper. :wink:
  3. The Muslim angle I can agree with, allegedly there was a background file being built up on the guy due to a number of actions he carried out, further evidence to support that has been found since.

I always cringe slightly at the way Americans personalise everything; the idea that two police officers would compete for the spotlight (which is what the media circus will turn it into) over who did their job better or even just go on Oprah is all a little ungainly and would make me feel slightly uncomfortable. Can you imagine British police officers on the Jonathon Ross Show giving a blow by blow account of their actions in an ongoing investigation to satisfy the media, not likely, they would get on with the job and if at a later time they received a commendation of some sort then all very nice but thats it.

Its so very American and thankfully not at all British.
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Bergs, next you'll be telling me Curtis G. Culin, designed the Rhino hedge busting stuff used in Normandy or the septics captured the first Enigma machine. :wink:
  5. I don't understand how on an Army base the size of the IoW there were no armed guards and they had to call the police in or did I miss something in the reporting
  6. They did - I saw the Seppo's capturing the Enigma machine in a fillum and it was in colour so it had to be true. I think it happened just before Tex Gibson led his Flying Fortresses in the famous Damn Buster raid that overthrew Hitler and allowed Steve the Queen to stage the Great Escape - which was also in colour [and therefore gospel].

7. Have you ever been on a US base, whilst I haven't been to Fort Hood I used to vist Eglin AFB on a regular basis and whilst in recent years I would have foun d it difficult to get into the more 'interesting' areas there are lots of effectively unguarded non secure buildings and areas.

The reality was this guy had a pass to get in, yopu can buy the guns and ammo in Walmart, it is really very easy if you really want to. The only positive point really is that almost every one does not want to do something like this.
  8. Yeah, I'm with Bergs on this - I saw the same film and the one with Sly Stallone winning every other war than anyone's been in including Afghanistan when the Russkies were the bad guys (and they were all in colour (or should I say "color") as well.

In fact, if Sly the Stallion was so bloody good at getting the Russkies out of Afghanistan, why don't we just pop him back in to get all the other bad Tallybang and AQ guys out and send the rest of the lads home?
  9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Jonnies gone home now, sad I know, but it'll take more than an free OAP ticket on the outrage bus to get him off the homestead. He'll be firing up the forge and banging out horseshoes for non existant ponies, washing his hair with some crap because he's worth it and trying to figure out what woodstock was.
  10. Reminds me of the Private Jessica Lynch story out of Iraq a few years' back.

It seems the PR guys are still too quick to get out a story without knowing (or ignoring) the full facts. Then again, the meeja always crave a good heroic tale, so who's really to blame here?

(Edited for gash spelling)
  11. Kimberley Munley and Jessica Lynch have a lot more in common than you might think at first glance.

The Pentanglegon spin of Lynch was:-

She fought like an Amazon against attacking Iraqi soldiers during an ambush of the convoy she was riding in March 22 near Nasiriyah, Iraq.

She emptied her rifle into the charging horde of enemy troops, finally succumbing when they bayoneted and shot her into submission.

“She was fighting to the death,†was one front page account .

“She sustained multiple gunshot wounds†and also was stabbed as “she fought fiercely and shot several enemy soldiers until she ran out of ammunition,†read another.

Actually, she was injured when the vehicle she was riding in collided with a truck at the beginning of the attack.

She lost her rifle.
    She did not fire a shot.

She was well cared for by the Iraqis and given priority treatment at an Iraqi hospital.

Immediately the truth began to emerge the Pentagon announced that she was suffering from memory loss and isolated her.

In fact, most of the “heroics†initially attributed to Lynch were actually performed by Walters – a 33 year-old military cook who had made the Army his career.

A later investigation revealed Walters had “fought to the death,†firing his rifle into the onrushing enemy until he ran out of ammunition. His body was later found with two bayonet wounds in the abdomen. The veteran NCO had also been shot numerous times in the leg and back.

Walters got the same Bronze Star medal PFC Lynch got, but his mother wonders if his documented heroism might merit more than that. The Army isn’t interested. They told the family there will be no upgraded decorations.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON Pat Tillman and the shit that was pulled on him and his family. :thumbleft:

12. Our press is so very liberal in everything they report. Yeah, they wanted a little blond hero and made up all that crap about Lynch. As far as Ft. Hood shooting goes, Obama, his generals and the press are engaged in coverup. Diversity has brought this nation to its knees and continues to do so.