Former Service: Transfering to or rejoining RN/RM

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, Aug 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    If you are still serving & wish to transfer, by far the best way to do this is whilst still serving as you keep earning a wage & should you fail an element of selection you do not lose your job.

    If you've had to leave to transfer: To process your application you must first provide all of the listed documentation (1-9 below), the onus is on you to provide them at your earliest opportunity. If you've lost your service documentation, then it's going to delay your application by up to 3 months whilst you apply under the Data Protection Act to obtain a copy of ALL your former service records.

    In order to be processed, you need:

    1. Discharge Certificate (Army Red Book)

    2. Last RORRS Report (RN/RM only). This must indicate whether you are recommended further service.(If the report states you are not recommended for further service then we can not process your application, if it says after "x" months, you must wait for that time to elapse before you may re-apply)

    3. Your last pay statement (This ensures you get paid for your service seniority were applicable- Yes, your former service may count towards your pension).

    4. Passport (You must have a valid one as a condition of entry into the service). Noi passport, no join.

    5. NHS Number

    6. NI Number

    7. Birth Certificate

    8. Last 3 service reports (RAF & Army)

    When you provide above listed documentation, you should complete a new application form, sign the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act & you MUST sign your consent for the release of:

    a) Your former service records.

    b) Your former medical records.

    The AFCO can not process your application without first taking copies of the above documentation.

    The AFCO will then apply for your former records. (Typically this takes about 3-4 weeks for former RN/RM & RAF applicants, former ARMY applicants is approx 6-8 weeks). On receipt the AFCO will then apply for permission to process your application- this takes a further 3-4 weeks & is granted by your future Branch Manager. Providing you are considered a viable candidate for re-entry, the AFCO can then proceed with your application. If you left with a poor Army, RAF or RN service record, your application will most lkely be turned down by the Branch Manager.

    If you were rejoining as a Trained rating- ie qualified already in the job you are re-joining, you have to be interviewed, pass medical, PJFT & have your Security Clearance renewed before the AFCO can apply for permission for you to re-enter service. Your Branch Manager will advise what additional training you must undergo upon re-joining, subject to when you left the service.

    Your Royal Navy Recruiting Test (RT) has to have been passed within the last three years, and have scored high enough for the trade you wish to join. ALL former RAF & ARMY candidates, together with RN/RM applicants who have underscored or are out of date will be required to sit the RT. If you score high enough, you will be interviewed & if found suitable you will be medically examined & if you are passed fit for service you will undergo the pre-joining fitness test. In addition, all medical staff will need to be CRB checked also. (Any civil offences involving dishonesty are a bar to entry for Medical or Logistics).

    If you pass all of that the AFCO will then re-apply for security clearance, which takes about 6-8 weeks. After being granted security clearance the AFCO then apply for permission for you to re-enter the service.

    You should be aware that the waiting time to enter the service can vary from month to month and is subject to variance because of the limited amount of training places available and the number of applicants at any given time.

    There are several things you should also take in to consideration when re-joining the Service, but two major considerations are as follows:

    1. You may be required to undergo phase one training at HMS Raleigh if you are a former RN/RAF/ARMY applicant or did not complete phase one training to an adequate standard previously, or depending on the Branch Manager & your former service records, if you have been out of the Royal Navy over 18 months & wish to change trades. Your future Branch Manager will decide under which circumstances you may re-join, it is not negotiable.

    2. You will re-join the service on the AFPS 05 pension scheme regardless of which scheme you left on - this is significantly different to the earlier AFPS 75 scheme and you would be strongly advised to investigate further how this will affect you.

    The thing to remember is that re-entry is by no means guaranteed & your former records of RN & RAF service is a key factor in your being permitted to re-enter. If you submitted PVR from the RN previously, that option is no longer available to you & you will be required to complete phase two training, complete 2.5 years return of service, before you may submit 12 months notice to leave..
  2. Ninja, I'm highly impressed by the time, and yes, sympathy, you spare to this website.
    Some people, serving as well as Newbies, seem to under the impression that this website is here to help them. How wrong could they be!

    Quite rightly in my opinion.

    As a PSOF, I don't think I'll get many arguments if I gift you a tall hat!
  3. You must have the saint about you Ninja....
  4. Great stuff Ninja. Not only helps and informs those wishing to join, but keeps us old fogies up to date with the current situation.
    Please continue with your worthwhile input.

  5. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Currently there are record numbers of applicants wishing to rejoin the services.

    When discharged, individuals are advised that duplicate discharge certificates cannot be issued & that re-entry is conditional upon production of these documents.

    Experience reveals that a disproportionate amount of discharge documents, reaching comedic numbers, appear to befall untold calamities. It is indeed amazing that dog food manufacturers are still in business given that the canine staple diet seemingly involves service documents.

    Very often when people leave the service they have no intention of rejoining & some individuals get rid of the documents because they indicate a less than favourable employment reference.

    Those that wish to request evidence of former service may submit a Data Protection Request via the Ministry of Defence however they may be charged for this & it will inevitably take several weeks/months.

    Addresses to make enquiries are as follows:

    Ex Royal Navy & Royal Marines

    DPA Disclosures
    Room 48
    Mail Point G2
    Leach Building
    West Battery
    Whale Island
    PO2 8DX

    Ex Army

    For those who left before 01 Apr 2007:-

    Submit written Request for Copy of Army Form (AF) B200

    Army Personnel Centre
    MS Support Disclosures
    Mail Point 520
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    G2 8EX

    For those who left after 01 Apr 2007;-

    Request Former Service info from JPAC by phone
    0800 0853600 ext 4

    This information will not normally contain Pay details, for that the applicant should visit for a statement of pay at time of discharge.

    Ex RAF

    RAF Disclosures
    Room 221b
    Trenchard Hall
    RAF Cranwell
    Lincs NG34 8HB
  6. Someone i know is hoping to join the RN, he was discharged from the army in phase 1 due to a medical injury (something to do with his knee!)
    Hes told us that he will be in the navy within 3 months because he has a military background.

    However, he also said that he is not going to tell them at the office that he was medically discharged from the army. Can he do this??

    Is he being serious or just being a cnut?
    Cos some of us have got ages to wait :(
  7. janner

    janner War Hero Book Reviewer

    Cracker think about this,
    8. Last 3 service reports (RAF & Army)

    When you provide above listed documentation, you should complete a new application form, sign the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act & you MUST sign your consent for the release of:

    a) Your former service records.

    b) Your former medical records.

    Do you not think that there may be some mention of why he was discharged on his Army records?
  8. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Your latter observation applies.

    Those with former service can usually ADD between 3 to 5 months on the standard waiting times to join. Those discharged on medical grounds can add another 3 months for good measure. :wink:
  9. ah good :)
    hes got a longer wait then!

    Isnt it funny how people laugh when they hear your joining the RN, only for themselves to join up 4 month later.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator


    It could even be an infinite wait if the medical condition precludes further military service - full anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction, for example.
  11. Im not sure exactly what it was that went wrong with his knee, but he does seem to have trouble with it during winter when its cold or if he does too much ie, standing around for a long while ect..

    oh well.
  12. Dont worry. 8O A chair will be provide for him to use during divisions :D
  13. make him stand!!!
    smile through the pain haha!
  14. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    To be honest, we get a fair few individuals who are medically discharged, wishing to re-join, particularly from other services.

    What they tend to forget is that if they were compensated for a service attributed injury which lead to discharge & in receipt of a tax free 'medical' pension, then certain conditions have to apply for re-joining.

    Firstly if they claim to be fully recovered from the condition & the condition itself is not a bar to entry, the question arises "When were they fully recovered?" If fully recovered, "Why are they still claiming a 'medical disability' pension?" The compensation awarded is calculated to take into consideration the injured party cannot be re-employed by the Armed Forces - if they wish to be re-employed, then there's the possibility of having to re-pay some elements of the resettlement package & also the loss of pension if there's no longer a condition which prevents re-joining the service.

Share This Page