Former sailor angry he won't receive Diamond Jubilee medal

timex

Lantern Swinger
I'm inclined to agree that whilst Royal is routinely expected to undertake feats of daring-do, there's an element of administrative oversight (or laziness or arrogance) somewhere in the chain which devalues the medals awarded to everyone else involved in the same mission.

Humility is a Commando quality, but that, is just plain rude.
At the time I was working with the AAC (Bootie exchange) and everyone was absolutley stunned at what the guys did during the rescue attempt, as usual the AAC thought that the guys deeds were worthy of reward and put the paperwork in. Royal didn't and thats where the fault lies, I had an incident in 02 with 42 where I put up 2 Doorgunners for awards which they recieved (GOC's commendations) and yet a lone Bootie ran out to assist (First on scene) and got nothing. We just don't do ourselves any favours.

As to the winger moaning about his right to a Jubilee medal, tough. Where do we draw the line?

If he/we all got the medal then every ex serviceman, ex policeman, ex emergency services would be entitled. Bit too many!

Last edited:
Once upon a time some bootnecks clipped a couple of Apache Helicopters on to their webbing and flew into a shit storm whilst sitting on the little "wings" that they have. The pilots, co pilots and Army officer who also clipped an apache onto his belt all got MC's.

The 3 Bootnecks sat on the outside got nothing.

Nowt to do with anything you do, it's all to do with how it's written up/reported, except of course free bling like my mug. You've gotta be there to get it.
Knowing one of those booties very well, he didn't even clip the apache to his belt, he just held on to it like a handbag carrier.

Tis true he never got a medal for that, he did pick up his Cpl's from it and got an amazing picture of Arnie Swarzengger (spelling) and the russian president at the time looking at a massive picture of him doing the said act.

The dit is even more amazing when hearing it from the horses mouth than it already was hearing it in the media.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Whats the saying we're all used to - some dip in more and some dip in less. This guy needs to dry his eyes and man up ffs. It's just ceremonial bling, if he's that upset he can send me his details and he can have mine, it's going to save me a small fortune remounting the rest!

No body dips out, some just dip in more than others

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the Times today, hundreds of silver medals given to public sector workers to celebrate the diamond jubilee are being sold on eBay, one at £175, there you go, problem solved

wet_blobby

War Hero
**** buying yours monty, I want a prestine one that I can make my own war stories about, not some kernow scared, war stories for the girls, made up whore shagging piss stained one. :)

I'm inclined to agree that whilst Royal is routinely expected to undertake feats of daring-do, there's an element of administrative oversight (or laziness or arrogance) somewhere in the chain which devalues the medals awarded to everyone else involved in the same mission.

Humility is a Commando quality, but that, is just plain rude.
Things seem to be getting better for the lads on the "medal front";

The Royal Marines at 4.4% of uk military manpower, got awarded 6% of the "non campaign medals" for operation Telic, this has increased to 18% for operation Herrick (to date).Still room for improvement, in my eyes as there are plenty of lads that had they been of another cap badge may have been picked up for some award, however the "dit factor" will always be there for them regardless. I wonder what the reply would be if they got offered a shiney gong if they changed cap badge ;):happy10:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sgtpepperband Charity 0
sgtpepperband Current Affairs 0
P The Corps 10