Former Naval reservist escapes gaol

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Shakey, Jan 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't know if this has been reported recently - I've been away.

Anyway it follows on from a thread a couple of months ago.

Net sex groomer escapes prison sentence

A NAVAL reservist who spent weeks grooming a “schoolgirl†narrowly avoided jail because of his lack of height and stunted emotional development.

Carl Leungsangnam, 24, hoped his chatroom exploits would eventually result in “sexually touching†the 14-year-old.

But London’s Southwark crown court heard his train trip from Liverpool to meet her ended in a stay in a police cell.

Abbey Arnold, prosecuting, said the child he had hoped to see was really a police officer.

She said the former taxi driver met the “youngster†online last May.

After insisting he was “a little bit shyâ€, he added he was nevertheless interested in “touching and stuff... sexual touchingâ€.

He told police if the youngster had existed he would not have pressured her against her will.

But he added he “believed 14-year-old girls were more grown up in this day and ageâ€.

Leungsangnam, of Tennyson Street, Bootle, pleaded guilty to attempting to meet a “female child for sexual groomingâ€.

Rachel Bright, defending, said her client was “bullied and disadvantaged... by his appearance and his apparent youth.

“Emotional loneliness led him into the situation he is now,†she added.

Judge Christopher Hardy suspended a one-year sentence for two years.

Leungsangnam would also be subject to a three-year supervision order and register as a sex offender for 10 years.

Additional similar article
    A Liverpool naval reservist who spent weeks grooming a "schoolgirl" has narrowly avoided prison because of his lack of height, unusual youthful appearance and stunted emotional development.
    Carl Leungsangnam, 24, of Tennyson Street, Bootle, had hoped his chatroom exploits would eventually result in "sexually touching" the 14-year-old.

But his train trip from Liverpool to meet her ended in an overnight stay in a police cell instead, London's Southwark Crown Court heard.

Abbey Arnold, prosecuting, said the child he had hoped to see was really a police officer taking part in a "proactive, covert operation" designed to snare paedophiles.

She told the court the former taxi driver met the "youngster" online last May, and although he readily volunteered his name, age and phone number, he was soon sending suggestive text messages.

Following his arrest, he told police that if the youngster had existed, he would not have pressured her to do anything against her will. Leungsangnam pleaded guilty to one count of attempting to meet a "female child for sexual grooming".

Rachel Bright, defending, said her client, who had found the police cell "terrifying", had been "bullied and disadvantaged... by his physical appearance and his apparent youth". That, in turn, had resulted in a lack of emotional development. She added: "Emotional loneliness had led him into the situation he is right now."

Judge Christopher Hardy agreed, and said his "vague and unsophisticated" exchanges with the girl made it clear he was not a sexual predator.

He said that while a custodial sentence was unavoidable, the "rather exceptional circumstances" of the case meant he could suspend the 12-month sentence he was imposing for two years.

However, he would also be subject to a three-year supervision order, take part in a sex offenders' programme, register as a sex offender for 10 years and pay £120 towards prosecution costs.

Leungsangnam's male model page here

2. Nice to see you posting again Shakey!

Thingy (alias AAC...)
  3. What's this got to do with him being ex rnr?
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

NMC: I believe he was still serving at the time the offences were committed...
  5. Right - but I still don't see what it has to do with his outside interests, he could have been a part time bus conductor for all the relevence tit has.
  6. Regardless, he is a little shite, and I hope he gets locked up. Plus a dishonourable discharge.
  7. He was serving at the time of the offence, he was at the Shipping Centre in Northwood and went into the city to meet the 'girl'. So technically speaking he should have been looking at a Court Martial.

Also a few people on this site will know him and might be interested to know what happened.
  8. Without wanting to sound flippant the guy was only 24, just ten years older than the girl. An age difference which because of the girls age seems rather large but how about 34 year old man and 24 year old woman. Same age difference.
    While I have no respect for paedophiles I think that there is a world of difference in the 24 year old fancying a 14 year old and a man of any age interfering with young children.
    I left school in 1960 at age 15, there were even in those times 14 year old girls who were sexually active. Nowadays possibly due to peer pressure and a complete breakdown of social values there are many more young girls in sexual relationships.
    We as a society have set the age of consent for sex at 16, how many wait that long? Anyone ever seen the Jeremy Kyle program? In my house it is known as Scumovision for obvious reasons.
    Now everyone who is condemning this 24 year old male answer me this and answer truthfully. How many young girls under the age of consent have you looked at and thought Wow I fancy that? Now for most of us that is as far as it goes, this young man took it further and is now paying for his mistake.
    Standing by for incoming.
  9. I thought this kind of thing by the police was invalid because it is entrapment.... that is: 'inducing them to commit a crime in order to secure their prosecution'.

If he had pleaded not guilty he would probably have walked. It seems the police played on his 'stunted emotional development' to get a conviction. Another easy cop.

I agree. There is a world of difference between 'courting' (there's a good old fashioned word) a 14 year old, and paedophilia. I was seduced by an older woman when I was 14. Didn't mind a bit. In fact I married her 4 years later, and it lasted another 13 years.
  10. And therein lies the rub.
  11. The age of consent varies throughout Europe (take Belgium, for example) and the world and has varied at different periods. For example theological scholarship has suggested that the BVM was 14 when God raped her to produce his heir, Jesus - though they are dishonest and don't call rape, rape! In Christian Britain in the mid-1800s the age of consent was 12. However, although interesting, the fact remains that this young man violated the law which sets the current legal age of consent at 16 (IMHO it should be 18) and it is reasonable to presume that he knew this. After all were he so retarded that he didn't know what he was doing, how did he get into the RNR - naval control of shipping requires a reasonable level of intelligence (I know this as I was in NCS (Comms) in the RNXS). The fact is that he knowingly sought to engage in prohibited sexual behaviour with a person who was not a legal person in her own right (non sui juris) and could therefore, at law, not give her consent. It is legally and morally no different to a gay man, in the 1990s, applying to serve in the RNR knowing that doing so, was technically illegal. This is why I didn't transfer into the RNR when I was offered a level transfer into NCS, upon disbandment of the RNXS. This young man should not have committed the inchoate offence he did, in this case against a child, for similar reasons.
  12. I believe the Belgium age of consent arguement recognises that teenagers will have sex but does not allow adults to have sex with underage kids.

I am in my 50s and Mrs McC is twenty years younger than I am BUT we are adults.

Any 24 year old most know that a 14 year old is off limits under todays laws and I have no sympathy with him at all. This guy "groomed" the 14 year old - it is against the law, he said as much and he deserves a custodial sentence.

13. For people that say 14 year olds are older in this day and age, piss off. I have just turned 16 6 months ago but even still 14 is off limits to me, wouldnt even dream of kissing her never mind sleeping with her. Even if this man is "undeveloped" it is no excuse to try it on with someone that young. Lock the barstool up.
  14. He was not underdeveloped, he merely looks like he is 12. Having worked with him he seemed a perfectly sensible and articulate JR.
  16. FFS! Thingy!

First SPB calls me matronly, and now you suggest I am fully endowed!

It makes me sound like a maiden aunt or something!
  17. The judge said due to the "exceptional circumstances" he would not send him to jail. He was 24 and she was 14. He attempted to groom her for his sexual deviations. He broke the law. He should go to prison. End of story.
  18. The general feeling amongst people I've spoken to about it is that he should have gone to prison, after first having his head put through a locker door.

Anyway, his life's buggered now prison or no prison - he won't be able to work as a taxi driver anymore, and his part time work refereeing for kid's football teams will be out of the window once the FA get wind of this. No reputable employer will employ a sex offender will they?

If he had gone to prison he probably would have been bummed to death out of spite - we know how nonces get treated in there, especially 5'1" ones.