Forgot to declare something!

Had my medical last week, all went well... Only thing is, long story short.. I photocopied all my naval documents (medical questionnaire, applications etc) just incase they ever got lost, and just recently reading through I have realised I forgot to declare I went to A&E for a very minor knock 5 years ago under the question 'have you gone to hospital for illness/injury/operation'. Obviously this wont bar me from entry but I dont want to cause any issues.

what shall I do? Shall I ring and tell them?

Last edited:
Yes I think ill have to contact my AFCO. I'm not as concerned about the old minor injury, its more the rhinitis from years ago - reason is because I don't want to roll up to Raleigh and get sent home.

Yes I think ill have to contact my AFCO. I'm not as concerned about the old minor injury, its more the rhinitis from years ago - reason is because I don't want to roll up to Raleigh and get sent home.
New to the Site :) Forgive me for either being naive or stupid but how would Raleigh find out? I would have thought they are only likely to look into records if a problem arose?

I'm not saying they should lie. I was just wondering if they would actually go through everybody's records as by that stage anything that would actually cause a problem would have, more than likely, shown up.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
New to the Site :) Forgive me for either being naive or stupid but how would Raleigh find out? I would have thought they are only likely to look into records if a problem arose?
Interesting that this thread is resurrected 6 months later on a whim, presumably using the words in the thread title on a site search.

Your medical notes are scrutinised when you join, anything not declared, subsequently found to have been an undisclosed pre existing injury or condition will result in dismissal for a fraudulent application.

It happens more frequently than many assume - sometimes just days before or after entry.

nemesis1066

Lantern Swinger
I am with Ninja Stoker. Fail to declare something at your peril!

The fraudulent entry charge is a career long possibility if something occurs that can be traced back to exist prior to joining. It is a matter personal standards, honesty and integrity.

Fess up - gain a little respect for being honest!

Just to clarify I am not in the rn an haven't applied either. Was more a query. But would have to agree, integrity comes into it and there's not much point somebody omitting something

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Just to clarify I am not in the rn an haven't applied either. Was more a query. But would have to agree, integrity comes into it and there's not much point somebody omitting something
Fair call. The query being; "If someone intends to 'forget', in advance, to declare a pre-existing condition/injury which is a potential bar to entry, will it be discovered? (asking for a friend)".

A; It usually is, yes, and penalties are attached.

The simple fact is the standards for entry have evolved over many years, sometimes through tragic circumstances. In the game of warfare, lives are at stake and we have to reduce the risk to the individual and those who rely upon them as an integral part of a combat team operating in extreme conditions, enduring extraordinary circumstances.