Forgot my service number!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Obviously when I was a kid, what computers existed were the size of a house! I enjoyed the Cubs, then Scouts, then Sea Scouts and finally Sea Cadets. I had a ball and also learnt a shed load of 'life skills' which saw me through basic training in the RN and also LRLC and POLC.

When I left after 23 years I offered my services to the local Sea Cadet unit, who sadly, were much less than welcoming. Their loss! No names, no pack drill and it was quite some time ago now.

Jacobus

War Hero
Yes, I'm probably coming across as a know it all. which is definitely not my real life persona. I'm keeping an open mind and plan to speak to my local unit first.

As I say, I do think kids have lost the plot a bit with stuff like social media and this incessant gaming they all bang on about, so the CCF/SCC sounds brilliant in that it's something they choose to do (unlike school). That'd be my main interest.
Well I think you need to do us all a favour and crack on with it. Or not. You’re embarking in to narcissistic territory now. All the cadet forces ( ACF/ATC/CCF/SCC) try and do the same thing. Imbue a sense of belonging, a bit of pride and respect for each other and their elders, and, perhaps, a sense of camaraderie. It also keeps them off the streets on occasion. As does the RN. Most of us here can remember lower deck leave where lads stayed on board, got their 3 squares and 4 o’clockers a day, clean kit and a clean pit. And they didn’t want to, nor couldn’t, go home.
If any of these youngsters join the armed forces after the cadet forces, then, that’s a bonus.
When I left the mob I flew Chipmunks with the RAFVR(T) flying young kids around. Was I concerned about the uniform ( Crab.... ! ) or the kudos. ? Not one bit. Did I enjoy showing youngsters a taste of what the services could offer ? Absolutely.
So, you sound an asset to any outfit. If a touch conflicted. Seek and ye shall find. I’m sure you have a lot to offer.

Hodd

Midshipman
Yes, I know I'm banging on about myself a bit :( It's just a bit of a novelty to be talking about anything remotely military after years of doing other stuff. I'll put a sock in it, but I really appreciate the advice everyone. This site is a different world from the "welcome" I got on the FB Raleigh page, although to be fair, 99% of people were great.

Only thing I remember about Raleigh was the miserable old git who issued new recruits with kit. Marnie or something. That was 60' s.....
I remember him well. The most miserable person I have ever met. He just loved it when anyone used the black paint instead of the white paint when marking their name with the wooden block issued to you. I agree the name was something along the lines of Mr Marner (or similar). He absolutely loved the 'power' he abused in that job.

slim

War Hero
I remember him well. The most miserable person I have ever met. He just loved it when anyone used the black paint instead of the white paint when marking their name with the wooden block issued to you. I agree the name was something along the lines of Mr Marner (or similar). He absolutely loved the 'power' he abused in that job.
The man was a complete ********!
Strutted round in a single breasted No3 jacket and wore a civy peaked cap.
To new entrants who knew no difference he was omnipotent!
Later we all realised that he was just a bullying twat!

Obviously when I was a kid, what computers existed were the size of a house! I enjoyed the Cubs, then Scouts, then Sea Scouts and finally Sea Cadets. I had a ball and also learnt a shed load of 'life skills' which saw me through basic training in the RN and also LRLC and POLC.

When I left after 23 years I offered my services to the local Sea Cadet unit, who sadly, were much less than welcoming. Their loss! No names, no pack drill and it was quite some time ago now.
Possibly because they were wannabes whereas you were an 'actual'....

^ If he was: round, shortish, baby-ish face (but an expression like his last tot was neaters battery acid) and absolutely no sense of humour (possibly a Westho accent, too?) then that'll be the same guy shepherding us along the 'domestic admin' route at my Raleigh Entry (Autumn 1960).

If it was a different former CPO Stoker the above recollection would have been a suitable Job Description for others seeking that role....

Well, I don't mind admitting it, as a just turned 16 year old, I was terrified of the old bastard! Looking back, the instructors, my own a stoker PO, seemed not to mind he was such a c***. He was universally despised among trainees.....for good reason. Hate him to this day, though by now long gone, shovelling coal in hell hopefully...

You appear to be very fixated on being a non-uniformed volunteer in the SCC, but these are not common and are only for a specific purpose - such as minibus drivers, or unit caretaking, or boats maintenance and so on. Even then, they tend to be more unofficial than taken on strength. If you have applied to a Unit then they will strongly encourage you to go down the uniformed route as that is what it is designed for - NUVs are a problem most don't want as they create a special type of challenge. Your aversion to being unformed is very strange. It is not the RN, or even the RNR (though the officers and WOs do have that honorific). It is Sea Cadets. And they are just as proud of their organisation as one would expect them to be.
I think your confused with CI’s and UA’s. We have 2 CI’s in my unit, one teaches Marine Engineering. His reasons for being CI are that he’s an Ex RN Lt MEO. He doesn’t want to put up with the hassle of the wardroom life and has no plans on doing stuff out of unit so it suits him well. The other is a never served Seamanship and boating instructor.

@Hodd honestly there is no problem, at one point I was holding the rate of LH RN and Acting PO in the SCC (APO’s have no crown above their double anchors), till the rules were changed and I could no longer hold 2 rates. Then I became a CI for “admin reasons” and only this year the rules changed again and I am now recognised as a LH in the SCC (or SAF-OR: Serving Armed Forces-Other Rank). We have volunteers whom medically would never be allowed to serve in the RN or RNR in a million years- one in my unit we calle the “weeble” as she can’t stand straight without having a tic that makes her wobble. Cause of this alone she’s unfit for service but she’s also grossly over weight, another barrier. But she’s great at teaching our junior cadets. She wears a uniform and infront of cadets I address her as my senior as she’s a PO. In the staff room most staff will do anything I ask out of mutual respect as we’re all volunteers at the end of the day regardless of honorary rank or rate held. You will not be seen as a Walt ever as at the end of the day in that organisation you have earned the rate in their rules. Yes the SCC are still wearing 8’s uniform. RNPCS hasn’t been cleared for use with the SCC or CCF only the RNVCC get RNPCS uniforms as they’re funded directly by the RN. And uniform issued to cadet staff isn’t tailored like it is for the RN/ RNR. It’s off the shelf, so many staff don’t bother paying to get it tailored as ratings dont get KUA so won’t pay for it out of their pockets.

Hodd

Midshipman
I’m feeling guilty now about my comments about untailored uniforms. Even in the RNR at Raleigh, trainees on their fortnight get their No 1s tailored within three days or so. I had to have a little chuckle at one photo I saw of a young SCC lad with what looked like a PO cap and jacket but square rig trousers. Not sure what happened there, but fair play to the lad for being in the SCC.

By the way, I’m curious if/how uniforms are tailored as people (RN adults) grow. I wasn’t in long enough to find out, but that zip on the front of the square rig jacket seemed at risk of being under a lot of strain with any belly increase.

And I’m coming round to understanding the role of the SCC/CCF so thanks again. I’m waiting to hear back from my local unit, but I’ll give them a call if I don’t hear anything.

Adults just order a new set of ones after a set amount of time and exchange them, same as for RN, I think it’s 4 years. As for cadets, we one for one their rig too, but they’re more likely to get second hand uniforms worn by other cadets prior as the turnover rate of new square rig would be too high.