Forgot my service number!

huwshpis

War Hero
@Hodd, I was in PRESIDENT from 1976-79, Chiefs and POs only wore 8's if doing heavy work such as demonstrating splicing or teaching stokers, green people and pinkies about oily things, or as members of the Fire and Emergency Party (ready to put on Fearnought suits and masks). I was a member of the Guard, so got drilled in 8's and webbing by the Chief GI and a PO stoker in what is now 3's.

Mackan2017

Badgeman
You obviously had a lot to offer the RNR so glad it worked out so well for you. If you’re under 55, I hear the SCC are looking for instructors :)

:):)Glad you're not a maths teacher!! A quick bit of calculation from the info in my post would tell you that I have to look long over my shoulder to see 55!! I was in the Sea Cadets before I joined the RN and loved it, and I admire the commitment that the officers & instructors show. There were 4 of us from our SCC unit (TS Bicester, Kilburn) that joined Ganges at the same time.
By the way, the Oliver Twist was President's 'exped' boat, it was for taking new entries (both ratings and officers) out for a weekend on the Thames and it was also used for basic nav training. I had some great weekends on it. Not sure what happened to it, maybe it's still at President.

Hodd

Midshipman
Well, I do have to teach a bit of maths with my science now and then, but the kids can use calculators :) I was being polite about ages. I still have a few years to go before even the SCC turn me away.

I even had a go at steering Oliver Twist plus acted as lookout! There was a lot of debris about so lucky I remembered my contact lenses that weekend. There is a President FB page, not as lively as the HMS Raleigh page and less walt detectives, and it says Oliver Twist is long gone.

To be fair, these days even the Rupert S are cutting about in the modern day version of 8’s (RNPCS). The second sea lord hates 5’s and is trying to get rid of them.

Hodd

Midshipman
The SCC kids I saw recently on a boat somewhere on the river Severn were wearing 8s.

My mum threw my RNR kitbag away!

I haven't been in close enough proximity to any RN people to see the latest uniform (5s?), but it seems to look a whole lot smarter than 8s which always looked like they'd been boil washed to death with trousers devoid of any shape whatsoever.

Is the bullshit crease still in fashion?

Edit: I don’t wish to be rude about SCC volunteers, but from the pictures I’ve seen, many don’t seem to have much pride in their uniform. I’m not super stylish, but if I have to wear a shirt and tie, which I have to at work, my trousers will sort of be shaped to fit and the bottoms will be fairly near my ankles. The RN/RNR senior rates I came across were usually fairly dapper. As I’m literally not fit to serve, I’d be a non-uniformed SCC volunteer, but those who choose to wear the uniform really should get it tailored/altered. Sorry if I’m being harsh

Last edited:

Alfacharlie

War Hero
The SCC kids I saw recently on a boat somewhere on the river Severn were wearing 8s.

I haven't been in close enough proximity to any RN people to see the latest uniform (5s?), but it seems to look a whole lot smarter than 8s which always looked like they'd been boil washed to death with trousers devoid of any shape whatsoever.

Edit: I don’t wish to be rude about SCC volunteers, but from the pictures I’ve seen, many don’t seem to have much pride in their uniform. I’m not super stylish, but if I have to wear a shirt and tie, which I have to at work, my trousers will sort of be shaped to fit and the bottoms will be fairly near my ankles. The RN/RNR senior rates I came across were usually fairly dapper. As I’m literally not fit to serve, I’d be a non-uniformed SCC volunteer, but those who choose to wear the uniform really should get it tailored/altered. Sorry if I’m being harsh
Ah yes, the ‘bullshit crease’. I remember when wearing a white front as night rig was binned and them white short sleeve shirts came in. Them ‘bullshit creases‘ were everywhere.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator

You appear to be very fixated on being a non-uniformed volunteer in the SCC, but these are not common and are only for a specific purpose - such as minibus drivers, or unit caretaking, or boats maintenance and so on. Even then, they tend to be more unofficial than taken on strength. If you have applied to a Unit then they will strongly encourage you to go down the uniformed route as that is what it is designed for - NUVs are a problem most don't want as they create a special type of challenge. Your aversion to being unformed is very strange. It is not the RN, or even the RNR (though the officers and WOs do have that honorific). It is Sea Cadets. And they are just as proud of their organisation as one would expect them to be.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Ah yes, the ‘bullshit crease’. I remember when wearing a white front as night rig was binned and them white short sleeve shirts came in. Them ‘bullshit creases‘ were everywhere.
Night rig :) something I certainly didn't miss when I went on to boats, that and night rounds!

Hodd

Midshipman
Fair enough. I’ll see what they say. It’s not a fixation as such. It’s just I can probably offer something as I work with kids anyway and have some affinity to the RN/RNR, but for the reasons mentioned above, it’d feel wrong to be in a uniform. To be honest, if that’s a problem, I’ll give it a miss.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Fair enough. I’ll see what they say. It’s not a fixation as such. It’s just I can probably offer something as I work with kids anyway and have some affinity to the RN/RNR, but for the reasons mentioned above, it’d feel wrong to be in a uniform. To be honest, if that’s a problem, I’ll give it a miss.

It's not a problem - you are creating one where none exists. Self-censorship is the worst form of censorship there is.

While it is naval uniform, you would clearly be SCC and so (subtly) different rules apply. If you think you are meant to be operating to the same standards as the RN you have mistaken the purpose of it. You will get to go to bases and on ships visits, but most of the time you will only be with other SCC and cadet personnel.

You give the impression you know what it is about - "I can probably offer something as I work with kids anyway and have some affinity to the RN/RNR" - and then totally undermine it with the fixation on uniform standards which is totally not the point of cadets, even if is it described as a disciplined uniformed youth organisation.

If you have something to offer - keep your application live. But all I was pointing out is it very unusual to have someone apply for a uniformed organisation but want to be in civvies only and they may not have a purpose for that, so it goes nowhere. However, there is a crying need for more volunteers who will sacrifice time, effort (and money) to give the youngsters the best cadet experience they can. If you think that you can do that, the uniform is of limited importance but if you do wear it, you should wear it with pride as an example for others to follow.

Hodd

Midshipman
Yes, I'm probably coming across as a know it all. which is definitely not my real life persona. I'm keeping an open mind and plan to speak to my local unit first.

As I say, I do think kids have lost the plot a bit with stuff like social media and this incessant gaming they all bang on about, so the CCF/SCC sounds brilliant in that it's something they choose to do (unlike school). That'd be my main interest.

Latest Threads