Forgot my service number!

Taztiff

War Hero
In fact, I liked it so much, I joined for real, but with less than a week in Raleigh New Entry, I was discharged due to my eyesight. Looking back (or squinting back in my case)
Which actually makes you a veteran in the eyes of officialdom. You can apply for your badge - if you want to and can remember your official number!!
I don’t have much in the way of great naval knowledge or seamanship to offer.
Like most of us engineering types on here!
so I am hopefully able to convincingly inspire a few kids and even girls into considering a technical or scientific career
A worthwhile role. We need STEM to be raised in the public eye. Loads of companies are trying but grassroots helps immensely.

Mmm, I don’t really have a problem with walts in everyday life, but I’d hope such behaviour with kids would be heavily frowned upon. If a schoolteacher started telling lies, that would probably be a safeguarding issue.

I had a look at the local units’ websites. OK, I admit to having a little chuckle at some of the larger people in uniform, but they’re giving up their time for a good cause so I should be more charitable.

I’m actually warming to the idea of the other services, starting afresh so to speak. Plus I just about know how to bowline, I don’t have much in the way of great naval knowledge or seamanship to offer.
I’m a jackdusty, I can just about tie my shoe laces, so I teach PT and drill. Never touched seamanship or a boat in 10 years of Cadets service.

Hodd

Midshipman
Thanks Taz, I doubt I’d wear a veteran badge, but if there are any discounts to be had, I’ll be there. These teachers get all sorts of discounts as well as loads of holidays :)

Yes, STEM is a concern in the U.K., and to be honest a lot of school science can be boring and some kids decide they don’t like it. What motivates me is I was pretty crap at school myself so if I can get some kids engaged, that’s not bad going.

Another tangent, but I get wound up when older people slag off kids. The kids I teach are a mix of well off and poor, some are special needs or have been fostered and some have real sh**ty home lives, but they’re all decent and honest and need guidance what to do in life.

A few weeks ago, one 13-year-old kid said he wanted to be in the RN. When I asked what job, he said “aircraft carrier” bless him. I’ll point him in the direction of the SCC.

Hodd

Midshipman
I’m a jackdusty, I can just about tie my shoe laces, so I teach PT and drill. Never touched seamanship or a boat in 10 years of Cadets service.

How do the kids get on with drill? As I say, I don't think I have any bad kids at school, but if there was a GCSE in slouching or lacklustre shuffling, some of them would be stars.

Also, one part of the job I dislike but is a necessary evil is getting them to line up in one wobbly line and tuck shirts in. Some teachers turn a blind eye to this, and I'd love to, but the kids notice this and pass the word around that sir or miss is a softie. So ironically a schoolteacher could be quite good at drill, but it wouldn't be my choice.

What about uniforms? The square rig is quite a parlava with the three creases, and I'd imagine that's left down to mum. I'd hope there aren't too many harsh words for uniform misdemeanours.

Taztiff

War Hero
Thanks Taz, I doubt I’d wear a veteran badge, but if there are any discounts to be had, I’ll be there. These teachers get all sorts of discounts as well as loads of holidays :)
I only wear mine at remembrance. Not a fan of wearing it on everyday rig.

Even available to cadet forces!! Who knew?

WHO QUALIFIES?​

• Serving Armed Forces
  • Reserve Forces
  • Spouses/Partners of serving personnel
  • HM Armed Forces Veterans (ex serving)
  • MoD Civil Servants
  • Bereaved Family Members
  • War/Service Widow(er)s
  • Cadet Forces (over 16)
  • NATO Personnel in the UK

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
How do the kids get on with drill? As I say, I don't think I have any bad kids at school, but if there was a GCSE in slouching or lacklustre shuffling, some of them would be stars.

Also, one part of the job I dislike but is a necessary evil is getting them to line up in one wobbly line and tuck shirts in. Some teachers turn a blind eye to this, and I'd love to, but the kids notice this and pass the word around that sir or miss is a softie. So ironically a schoolteacher could be quite good at drill, but it wouldn't be my choice.

What about uniforms? The square rig is quite a parlava with the three creases, and I'd imagine that's left down to mum. I'd hope there aren't too many harsh words for uniform misdemeanours.
If you mean the horizontal creases in the trousers, it was 5 or 7 depending on your height but that went out in 1980 iirc and it's normal fore and aft creases now, although it's still referred to as square rig. The 3 creases in the collar are still there though.

Like Taztiff I only wear my veterans badge at public RBL functions.

Hodd

Midshipman
I didn’t even know about the trouser creases, but I remember the blue collar needing three creases.

I didn’t realise apprentice tiffs went back to square rig. In my day (that one week), we had the “senior rates” type uniform, not that I got to wear it! A proper PO I knew in the RNR called it a bus conductor’s uniform!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Artificer Apprentices as you knew it don't exist any more. Around 1984 us Mechanicians we re-branded as tiffs (spit) and then around 2010 tiffs no longer existed, apart from legacy ones.

Hodd

Midshipman
I used to have a book, which I just googled, called Tiffy by George E Finch, about a tiff in WW2 and after. I thought tiffs went way back.

When I was in the RNR waiting to go in the RN, one or two members of the ME department who were ex-RN were genuinely anti-tiff towards me even though I wasn’t even a tiff :) I suspect they had a few chips, or more like a whole plateful, on each shoulder!

Taztiff

War Hero
I used to have a book, which I just googled, called Tiffy by George E Finch, about a tiff in WW2 and after. I thought tiffs went way back.

When I was in the RNR waiting to go in the RN, one or two members of the ME department who were ex-RN were genuinely anti-tiff towards me even though I wasn’t even a tiff :) I suspect they had a few chips, or more like a whole plateful, on each shoulder!
Pure jealousy I'm afraid.
1618321361047.png

Hodd

Midshipman
I guess to have become a tiff back then required a decent grasp of maths, and the physics test I remember taking at the AFCO was bloody hard! We’re talking well above GCSE level science. As I now see, some people just can’t get to grips with equations and such things, and they would’ve been the ones who couldn’t become tiffs.

Now I remember - it’s all coming back now - I applied to the RN to be an MEM (M), but the careers officers said my aptitude test score was good enough for tiff. No one would take the lower option, so I reckon a fair few stokers wanted to be tiffs originally.