Forgot my service number!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Hang on, this needs clarifying.

I wasn't always slim, although never as large as that gent (what rank is that?), but thanks to giving up alcohol and being active, I am now. So if I become a uniformed SCC member, I get labelled as a walt? Lots to think about :)

Would I be a rating or an officer? How does it work? And is there an eye test?
An SCC Walt..

;)

Hodd

Midshipman
Thanks, but I’m not really serious about it. I’m all for helping kids with sport or science, but I can’t seriously say I’d inspire kids to follow a military career :)

Going off on a massive tangent, but my 20+ years between waiting at the HMS Raleigh bus stop and becoming a teacher were mostly not bad at all, so I am hopefully able to convincingly inspire a few kids and even girls into considering a technical or scientific career. Kids are young/naïve enough to look up to adults so anyone working with kids needs to have that at the forefront of their mind. Any adult joining CCF or SCC to be a walt or live the dream of a missing/failed military career shouldn't be allowed in the role. Phew!

Edit: I just saw you get paid for it!!!

Last edited:
Only thing I remember about Raleigh was the miserable old git who issued new recruits with kit. Marnie or something. That was 60' s.....

47MLB

Midshipman
Thanks, but I’m not really serious about it. I’m all for helping kids with sport or science, but I can’t seriously say I’d inspire kids to follow a military career :)

Going off on a massive tangent, but my 20+ years between waiting at the HMS Raleigh bus stop and becoming a teacher were mostly not bad at all, so I am hopefully able to convincingly inspire a few kids and even girls into considering a technical or scientific career. Kids are young/naïve enough to look up to adults so anyone working with kids needs to have that at the forefront of their mind. Any adult joining CCF or SCC to be a walt or live the dream of a missing/failed military career shouldn't be allowed in the role. Phew!

Edit: I just saw you get paid for it!!!
You don’t know if you wouldn’t inspire kids if you don’t take the shot. Since you’ve served, you can’t be a Walt.

Hodd

Midshipman
You don’t know if you wouldn’t inspire kids if you don’t take the shot. Since you’ve served, you can’t be a Walt.

Thanks. A couple of points - I’d hope to do my bit as it were in my job by inspiring kids to pursue a technical or science career if they’re so inclined whether that be training to be a plumber or car mechanic up to going to uni. I’m able to describe my own experience if need be to a kid or even the parents.

But I’d have to fess up as an SCC instructor that I only did it part time for about a year and that was years ago. That could be quite detrimental to how a kid thinks. You guys would have the affinity and the experience and that counts for a lot.

No eye test for SCC, and probably be a SR to start but @northern-matelot would know more than me.

I’m still serving RN but also an SCC instructor

No fitness tests what so ever unless you apply to join the PTI branch. You’d join as a probationary Civilian Instructor (CI) until you did your Induction course. Then you could stay as a non-uniformed CI or go uniformed as an Acting Petty Officer (APO), becoming a substantial PO once you complete the 5 core modules (weekend courses) in Learning & Development, Drill, Seamanship and Basic Leadership (these are currently going through updates).

I will always recommend someone who’s thinking of joining the SCC or other cadet forces to do so. If you’re self conscious enough to worry about “walting” be a CI and wear a unit polo shirt and trousers.

Also, though we’re a navy themed organisation, we’re not there to recruit for the RN. We have careers events with the RN presentation team sure, but we also introduce cadets to the RFA and Merchant Navy too. Many cadets, don’t do any of this and a lot just become adult staff instructors themselves while leading normal civilian lives.
I’ve made some absolutely quality friends whilst instructing, some ex-Rn, some never served at all, but all of them have something to contribute- a passion for passing on knowledge.

Last edited:

Hodd

Midshipman
The irony is I’m probably very fit (in terms of cardiovascular fitness) for my age. I run a lot and even tried the 1.5 mile fitness test on a treadmill last year and did it in 12 or it might’ve even been 11 minutes. I was a bit tired after, but that’s not bad for a bloke in his 50s.

A non-uniformed role would feel a whole lot better, and it could be any of the services and not necessarily SCC. I’ll give that some thought, thanks.

Jacobus

War Hero
And you’ve grasped the nettle and became a teacher. Which is a noble profession in anyone’s book.
So, crack on. I’m sure you’d bring a lot to any SCC unit ( apart perhaps from the rifle range activities !). I was in the Air Cadets as a kid. Did a whole lot of ( wash mouth out here ) crab related stuff. Still ended up joining the better service !!

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Hang on, this needs clarifying.

I wasn't always slim, although never as large as that gent (what rank is that?), but thanks to giving up alcohol and being active, I am now. So if I become a uniformed SCC member, I get labelled as a walt? Lots to think about :)

Would I be a rating or an officer? How does it work? And is there an eye test?

No, you wouldn't.

There is no requirement for SCC volunteers to have served in any capacity - same goes for the ACF and ATC. But it does help the Corps to have a number within their ranks that have as obviously many of the kids are interested in naval life but my experience was that there was a definite drift away from the RN aspect and more towards the watercraft side, so the wearing of the uniform became a side issue. I know it wasn't a pre-service organisation but it was in real danger of losing sight of it's roots - and purpose.

You would only be considered a walt if you made up stories about how you were on the HMS Massive to big yourself up, thinking that just because they are SCC they wouldn't know. Same as if you weren't in the SCC really.

Hodd

Midshipman
Mmm, I don’t really have a problem with walts in everyday life, but I’d hope such behaviour with kids would be heavily frowned upon. If a schoolteacher started telling lies, that would probably be a safeguarding issue.

I had a look at the local units’ websites. OK, I admit to having a little chuckle at some of the larger people in uniform, but they’re giving up their time for a good cause so I should be more charitable.

I’m actually warming to the idea of the other services, starting afresh so to speak. Plus I just about know how to bowline, I don’t have much in the way of great naval knowledge or seamanship to offer.

Latest Threads