Forgot my service number!

Ballistic

War Hero
I wasn’t familiar with the term Walt

The film Walter Mitty is quite recent so I’m guessing it was used before.
Calling a fantasist a "Walter Mitty" has been around for a looooong time ;)

R7b2be3d40c880214bfc849e1e4a0849c

Hodd

Midshipman
I'll have to watch the film to see if I really am a walt :)

I'd imagine the average walt would talk about medals, secret service and such things. My tale of being in the RNR (no medals sadly) and then being medically discharged from RN new entry doesn't seem that far fetched to me :)

Perry

Lantern Swinger
I'll have to watch the film to see if I really am a walt :)

I'd imagine the average walt would talk about medals, secret service and such things. My tale of being in the RNR (no medals sadly) and then being medically discharged from RN new entry doesn't seem that far fetched to me :)
Yeah totally agree but to forget your service number is like forgetting your date of birth to those of us who served a reasonable length of time. Consequently it sounds unreasonable even if you ditch your discharge papers.

Hodd

Midshipman
I guess so. The irony is I can now remember my RN number and parts of the RNR number. A few days ago, I applied online for details of my RNR service as it's annoying me I can't remember my number. Obviously the form asked for a service number so we'll see what they say.

The only souvenir of those days is a photo and a cert from Raleigh (the RNR fortnight) which my parents had in a photo album. I'd not really thought about the RN in years but went on the Torpoint ferry over Christmas - I didn't remember it was that big - and it brought back a few good and not so good memories. I'm lucky to have experienced the RNR and actually went to sea in HMS Arun, one of the minesweepers which was actually based at Shoreham. If I'd have gone straight into the RN, I'd have been discharged and missed out on any navy life altogether.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I guess so. The irony is I can now remember my RN number and parts of the RNR number. A few days ago, I applied online for details of my RNR service as it's annoying me I can't remember my number. Obviously the form asked for a service number so we'll see what they say.

The only souvenir of those days is a photo and a cert from Raleigh (the RNR fortnight) which my parents had in a photo album. I'd not really thought about the RN in years but went on the Torpoint ferry over Christmas - I didn't remember it was that big - and it brought back a few good and not so good memories. I'm lucky to have experienced the RNR and actually went to sea in HMS Arun, one of the minesweepers which was actually based at Shoreham. If I'd have gone straight into the RN, I'd have been discharged and missed out on any navy life altogether.
Well, you at least got your sea legs from the Torpoint Ferry. And, the rest is history. BZ.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
That was quite an interesting thread on Facebook, and it shows how different generations use social media amongst other things. I’m 50 and use Facebook begrudgingly but notice younger people don’t post on RN Facebook sites so much.

And then there’s the older generation. I’m a school teacher now and know that anything posted on social media, even in a private Facebook page, can be viewed by anyone on the internet. As a teacher, I have to be a bit careful, and I even abbreviate my name of Facebook so my students can’t find me. But a couple of older gents let themselves down on that thread. It’s water off a duck to me, and I asked the admin to overturn their bans.

The problem was one poster didn’t believe I’d been in the RNR at all. I was only in for a year and as I wasn’t divulging any stories, it was confusing why I’d lie about this. Then he asked questions about HMS Raleigh based on his time there in the 1960s. Failing to recognise buildings that were there before I was born meant I must be a “Walt”.

Anyway, my service number query was solved, but if that gentleman is reading, there are no hard feelings, and I asked admin to let you rejoin the site.
I saw those posts and thought that he was an utter tosser! He was like a dog with a bone! I think you are/were too generous towards him. While I could recognise the Main Gate, there is no way I could recall what was across the road - and I was at Raleigh for ages! The main reason being that as one approached the Main Gate from either inside or outside, the focus was 100% on the gate staff, as that was where the potential threat was!

Anyway, pleased you now know what your numbers are/were! You blind old git!

Hodd

Midshipman
:) I went on a minesweeper too.

I felt a bit sorry for another guy on my FB thread. He did go straight in the RN and was discharged from Raleigh for having asthma. He then tried to join the RNR, but he wasn't allowed. He says he never really got over that which is a shame. At least he remembers his number.

Hodd

Midshipman
I saw those posts and thought that he was an utter tosser! He was like a dog with a bone! I think you are/were too generous towards him. While I could recognise the Main Gate, there is no way I could recall what was across the road - and I was at Raleigh for ages! The main reason being that as one approached the Main Gate from either inside or outside, the focus was 100% on the gate staff, as that was where the potential threat was!

Anyway, pleased you now know what your numbers are/were! You blind old git!

I now feel I know this legendary gatehouse and could describe it in detail down to the last pot plant. The slight problem was it's not there anymore! It probably hasn't been there for over 30 years!

I felt sorry for our old mate, who by the way carried on his rant on FB messenger. He's in his 70s and probably had a rubbish lockdown, and I suspect drink was a factor. I could've torn into him, but i chose sarcasm instead. I don't think he should've been kicked off the site, even though he started threads on two FB sites to name me a walt. That might be his only source of joy (outing walts) and now it's been snatched away.

Talking of being blind, the medical officer I had to see at Raleigh, the bloke who told me to pack my bags (nicely) did me a good turn. He said I should watch out, quite literally. for a detached retina with my level of sight. And that did happen nine years later. It was fixed easily as I was ready!

And back to our old mate, curator of 1960s HMS Raleigh, I have to say everyone else was fairly helpful, nice page :)

Last edited:

Hodd

Midshipman
Oh go on then, he was a right pillock.

First I said I was as blind as a bat, which he took to mean legally blind, i.e. white stick and labrador. To save himself he then asked about all four corners of Raleigh's parade ground, but I only scored 75% as I missed out on a sea boat. I was in trouble. He followed up with the question on the gatehouse (which was demolished in the 1970s) and said I was another poster who'd been on HMS Eagle (never heard of it). I then produced a certificate to say I'd passed out of Raleigh with the RNR (I thought the class photo would be too easy to have photoshopped), but that was just too much to take and I was declared a walt on not one but two RN FB sites (and probably more as he's an admin of another site).

He then continued on FB messenger and still I was polite. He wasn't funnily enough.

I hope he learns from this as it must be a hard life being like that.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Oh go on then, he was a right pillock.

First I said I was as blind as a bat, which he took to mean legally blind, i.e. white stick and labrador. To save himself he then asked about all four corners of Raleigh's parade ground, but I only scored 75% as I missed out on a sea boat. I was in trouble. He followed up with the question on the gatehouse (which was demolished in the 1970s) and said I was another poster who'd been on HMS Eagle (never heard of it). I then produced a certificate to say I'd passed out of Raleigh with the RNR (I thought the class photo would be too easy to have photoshopped), but that was just too much to take and I was declared a walt on not one but two RN FB sites (and probably more as he's an admin of another site).

He then continued on FB messenger and still I was polite. He wasn't funnily enough.

I hope he learns from this as it must be a hard life being like that.
His name wasn’t Norman by chance??

Hodd

Midshipman
I'll get in trouble if I name him, but his initials are JB.

I was going to say check out the Raleigh FB pages, but he's been banned.

You could try the HMS Eagle FB page where he's an admin, but woe betide if you can't answer the entrance questions.

Latest Threads