Foreign Cars and Drivers face on the spot fines.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Nutty, Mar 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

The UK Government is finally going to make the likes of me in my Spanish registered car and Spanish Driving Licence pay on the spot fines. Wot are these people FRENCH or worse PORTUGUESE.

Drivers Fines

Now all you Little Englanders can vent your spleens. Fill yer Boots.

2. Thanks for the invitation Nutty.

This little Englander says "about time too" ... boots filled and now moving on.
  3. Well overdue. Foreign drivers have been flouting our motoring laws for years knowing that the chance of being fined is slim. :p
  4. So it was you who allowed us not to pay our fines. Thank you Slim.

5. No problem Nutty, just pleased that now they can fine you lot they may leave me alone. :p
  6. Bloody right too, as if I were to break any driving laws in Spain, France, Germany etc, I would have to pay a fine on the spot. Long overdue and if you don't like it, keep out of England or don't flout the law thinking you are immune.
  7. About time too, the inability of our plods to do anything about overseas based motorists has been a serious problem for a long time. This sort of system has been operated in Germany for years, if you get pulled over by a german plod you have to pay big bail to be allowed to continue, as a ducth colleague found out 25 years ago when he was pulled over. Equivalent of about £100 back then
  8. Maxi I did say that little englanders could vent their spleen. Now I think I can say you do not fit that bill being a paid up member of the Jockenese Mafia that also resides in the Kingdom.

Nutty 8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8)
  9. Speed in France and get caught = big fine. Been there and done it. ;-)

Speed by a lot in France and they will impound your vehicle.
  10. Just over 3 years ago I was caught speeding in France at Isle near Limoges, doing 7k over the 30k limit - I never new at the time as my car had an "English registration number", then I re-registered the car in France and back came in the same envelope as the new car documents, the afore mentioned speeding notification, plus a second speeding fine for 2k over the 30k limit.

Result a 90 euro fine and one point off my licence, for each event, (you start off with 12 points and the points deducted are speed related).

I know it was just over 3 years ago as I have just received notification that the points on my driving licence have been re-instated.
  11. Which is exactly what my neighbour, a member of the road patrol department of the Mossos D' esquadra, Catalunyas own police force, said to me recently.
    I am truly glad that those Brits who drive about in untaxed vehicles, thus rendering them illegal, thus no insurance, will finally be brought to book.
    Well done Slim for championing this measure :wink:
    In fact the Spanish police have been wise to this for a number of years.
  12. Which must be surely down to a lack of education on the part of our plod population. Plus and it's a big plus an almost non existent road patrol policy on the part of the same people.
    Our neighbouring countries have a much more robust approach to road patrolling - simply you see more of them.
    They can put what regulations they like in place but until there is a willingness to enforce them, and spend the necessary cash to do this, then naff all will happen.
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

a. Don't break the law, therefore...
    b. No need to pay a fine!

Durrrr! :roll:
  14. Also in Spain un-paid parking tickets or speeding(Camera) fines get collected when you go to tax your vehicle or re-register it as a new owner so buyer beware. It is common practice on here to attach the debt to the property not the person i.e. if you purchase a house where the owner has not paid his council tax for 2 or 3 years it is down to you, if you Solicitor fails to pick it up, not the man who sold you the house.

15. They do the same in the UAE (speeding tickets etc are linked to the car not the driver) and the hammer comes down when you re-register - good scheme if you ask me except it doesn't penalise the bloke behind the wheel haring up and down Sheikh Zayed Road at Mach 4
  16. Ah yes and all well and good, but, this thread is about foreigners who may not be aware, and couldn't reasonably be expected to be aware, of some of the quainter rules and regs, and there are a fair few of those flying about.
    Plus, what would be regarded as an offence in one country may not be in another.
    eg We do not have the policy of stopping and requiring documents to be produced, a policy common practice in other countries. We have no official random breath testing policy, again common practice in other countries.
    I still say the likelyhood of anyone getting caught and the prosecution succeeding will, except in the most serious of cases, be unlikely.
  17. sgtpepperband

Sussex2: As I learned a very long time ago, ignorance of the law is no defence... :wink:
  18. SPB

Well just don't drive onto a Spanish Motorway expecting people to pull over a to an outer lane for you to join the main road. A total no no in Spain they will plow on regardless of the traffic flow even if you have to come to a dead stop in 38 ton fully loaded artic.

I now find when I drive in England people do not even look when they join a motorway because it is so expected.

Speed limits here are enforced 1 kph over the limit no 10% over. A single solid white line must not be crossed EVER. If it says stop at a junction and its 3am in a back street of the smallest rural town in Spain and you do not stop and are seen by Plod nicked.

But then Ignorance of the law and how it enforced is no excuse.

How long will it be before we return to the days of the £5 note, now £50 tucked in the D/L and Officers start to Caution more folk.
  19. Yes keep out of Britain we don't want you here.
  20. sgtpepperband

Aah, I see your point now, Nutty. The law only applies to some folk, those naughty ones you don't like, but not you? If you choose to live in a foreign land then you have to accept all of the laws and customs, not just the ones you like. Do I understand the dilemma raised in the new enforcement? Yes, of course I do. Do I sympathise with drivers who break the law and get punished? Of course not...